Sign in with
Your question

No post beep after power on, black screen then power down

Last response: in Motherboards
February 18, 2013 5:16:58 AM

Recently I replaced my hard drive so that I could use my computer again as the last one had fried. After a 2 days or so of solid use, today my computer just froze out of no where. The only way to get past this was to power off the computer by the wall as nothing was responding on the screen. When I powered the computer back on, I didn't here the booting up beep it usually makes and my screen remained black. For the last six hours, after powering on the computer it turned itself off after 30 seconds to 1 min.

I then removed the video card (8800gtx) and re inserted it and there was no beep after powering on the computer.
I also did the same with the power supply and tried another brand, the computer was still able to power on but no beep.
I have a P5E mother board. The user manual is in every language but english, so I went on the Asus website and it states that there is a battery and cmos jumper. I removed and re inserted the battery, I cannot find the 3 jumper pins. There is a switch of some sort that is unexplained. So I am unsure as to whether resetting the cmos worked or not.
I also tried to boot the computer without any ram, then booted the computer with one 1GB stick each (to test the RAM was OK) and there was no difference.

I have decent skills in IT but I am not so knowledgeable when it comes to inside the case. Over the years I have had many problems with this same computers hard ware have some how managed to fix it each time. I hope this can be fixed as I have seen many other people on this site over the last 6 years with similar problems with similar motherboards.

I have tried many things that I have read from other posts on this site yet nothing has worked for me.
If anyone can help me with this or has any idea I would appreciate hearing it. Now I have all the original parts back in place in the case but with the new hard drive that I acquired a few days ago. When I power on the computer it just sits on a black screen, no booting up beep sound. How can I fix this? What else can I do without buying new parts?
I haven't ever come across a problem like this before and would love to know how to fix it, or fix it without having to buy any new parts.

Thanks for reading.
February 18, 2013 5:45:32 AM

If anyone is willing to help me fix this I am more than happy to pay you.
m
l
February 18, 2013 5:50:06 AM

Can you post all the specs? Thank you.
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2013 5:56:28 AM

Asus P5E
Intel Q6600
Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX
Corsair 520w power supply
2 x 1 GB RAM Corsair
Western Digital SE16 250gb hard drive
m
l
February 18, 2013 6:01:04 AM

So let me get this straight, after changing a new hard drive, everything works fine for 2 days right? If so, can you make sure everything is on? As in lights/fans whatever that is on when you on the pc.
m
l
February 18, 2013 6:01:45 AM

It could be either you did not fully connect the gpu,cpu fan, ram etc.
m
l
February 18, 2013 6:06:56 AM

If you checked and everything works fine, unplug everything (hard drives,gpu, reseat the ram) then boot only with the monitor without peripherals. If it does not work, probably the cmos battery is dead.
m
l
February 18, 2013 6:07:57 AM

Since I got the WD hard drive there have been no problems the last few days. Clean install of Windows 7 Pro, games, programs etc were working perfectly

There are 2 lights inside the case, 2 lights on the front of the case and 4 fans inside the case. There have been no changes in the behavior or the lights or fans before or after the computer hasn't been able to boot up today.

If I didn't fully connect some of the hardware, why was the computer running perfectly for 2 days and now it's useless?
m
l
February 18, 2013 6:09:31 AM

And try to loosen the screws on your mobo too.
m
l
February 18, 2013 6:10:15 AM

I believe everything is working fine but then again I may not be able to tell if something isn't working. I am just not getting the beep at power on which I normally here every time I turn on my computer. Thats when the Motherboard logo usually flashes onto my monitor.
m
l
February 18, 2013 6:16:37 AM

You should check all the tiny details, it even happens if you accidentally scratch, screws too tight, gpu,cpu fan installed incorrectly, or even if it works for a couple days, the components just died.
m
l
a c 471 V Motherboard
February 18, 2013 6:25:21 AM

could be two issues..power supply it self failed...you said the old hard drive fried..do you mean there was smoke and the drive melted?? if that happen then your power supply have have taken a hit and just failed now. the other issue is if the drive shorted out that bad it could have damaged the mb...and the mb has a cap or part failure. with the ps you can take it out of the system and do a green wire test and read the voltage outputs.
m
l
February 18, 2013 6:27:32 AM

I have read through that link and will continue to until something hopefully works. Thanks for that.

In case there's nothing wrong with my hardware and it comes down to the cmos battery which is possibly causing the problem, what could I do next?
m
l
February 18, 2013 6:41:20 AM

smorizio said:
could be two issues..power supply it self failed...you said the old hard drive fried..do you mean there was smoke and the drive melted?? if that happen then your power supply have have taken a hit and just failed now. the other issue is if the drive shorted out that bad it could have damaged the mb...and the mb has a cap or part failure. with the ps you can take it out of the system and do a green wire test and read the voltage outputs.

When I had my old drive, I started to get over temp failure messages before it stopped working completely. I'm not sure if that error was directed at the hard drive or something else though.

If the power supply failed, wouldn't the hardware not be powering up properly or not getting power at all? All the fans in the case and hardware, and lights are working.

I also just tried a different gfx card and there's no change.
m
l
a c 471 V Motherboard
February 18, 2013 7:03:10 AM

power supplys have more then one leg...the one that mostly fails is the gray wire 5v good. if that goes bad or low then the mb wont post. with debugging a pc the best action is bare bone it..one stick of ram and the gpu only. if no post take the ram out and with a case speaker see if the mb beeps. if you get no beeps..down to the mb or the power supply.
m
l
February 18, 2013 8:42:18 PM

I tried booting with an ATX 550w power supply and there was no change
I tried booting with a 7600 GT as well and there was no change
Does this mean the problem is the motherboard or the ram?
I will strip it down again and add part by part.

I don't have a case speaker, how am I able to connect external speaker to test the beep?
m
l
February 19, 2013 5:39:13 AM

Well all I can think of is either dead cpu, but if their is a dead cpu, it will says so. Best is strip down everything, do parts by parts.
m
l
a c 471 V Motherboard
February 19, 2013 7:00:53 AM

on the mb there a muilt pin header near the on/off switch on the mb it say speaker on it. most case speakers are 5.00 or so. before you buy one look to see if there is a speaker on your mb first.
m
l
!