Need advice about graphic card and power problems (GTX 560).

luckyluke99

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hello.

I need some advice from someone more experienced than me when it comes to computers. (So I can play BF3, help a brother out! :) )

I am completely inexperienced with the inner workings of the computer so bear that in mind when reading.

Just got my new graphics card (GTX 560) and quickly realised I have too little power cables. I need two PCI E 6pins for my card and my PSU have none. Using the Molex Y -> PCI E 6pin adapter cable supplied I got one sorted out. Here comes my problem, I have no more molex cables to use and I'm pretty sure my whole PSU have too low power to run my card.

My PSU is 250W and Nvidias homepage recommends atleast 400.

Now to where I need clarification.

Can I:
A) Split power somehow splitting my CDplayer molex and getting an adapter for an mysterious cable (see pic) the cable between the molexes, it have the same wiring as a molex.

981780ac_cablelols.jpg

B) Buy a new PSU completely. I am thinking this CORSAIR GS PSU 800W 14CM V2.3 80+

http://www.multitronic.fi/?prod=CMPSU-800GEU

Is this a good PSU that will work with my GTX 560? How long into the future will this last me (circa)? Can I as a complete beginner change this myself? Does this fit with my motherboard (Motherboard Manufacturer: Packard Bell BV - Motherboard Model: PBGL00).

Thanks for taking your time reading! And if you answer please explain it to me as if I were five years old.

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Definitely go with plan B. Your 250w PSU, and probably a generic one at that, is nowhere near enough to run modern cards like this. Corsair is a very good brand, probably one of the best around. 800w is overkill for a single GTX 560 though. Are you planning on SLI in the future or do you only need enough power for one?

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Is your computer an HP/compaq/ienovo/gateway type that is smaller than the standard Mid size tower? I say this because of your 250W psu. Normally those are for the smaller business type PCs. Saying that 250W is too low. The problem is if your computer is one of those smaller type computers that a normal psu will be far too wide to fit into your computer. Also, 800W is overkill and you wouldn't need that for a long time even if you put 2x560s in there. You'd only need 500W maybe 650W if you want to future proof for a better card in a few years.

luckyluke99

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Thanks for your answer! A new powersource it is then as I suspected. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't interpreted my googling wrong :).

I guess 800W is overkill indeed since I don't plan to upgrade my computer for the forseeable future, but I could get one for the future as the difference between an 650W and an 800 is only 30€ (40 dollars?). A quick googling found me that you can't really get too much power, but how much difference is there in noise and heat?

luckyluke99

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

I measured and it will fit! :) OK I will get a 650W one instead then, I guess that when I need more power than that PSU technology will have advanced and prices dropped.

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
You can get a higher rated PSU than you need without any more heat/noise no problem (may even run cooler/quieter even). You could spend the extra 40 to get more power if you plan to use it in a future build, but it will be unnecessary with that one.

AxemanACL

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
You might not even need that much power, realize that power supplies run less efficiently at low usage levels (using only 200W of the 650W that are available).

You could try using this power supply calculator

http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

I would also recommend googling and using a couple others to get a rough estimate of how much power you will need.

Also I would measure the dimensions of your current power supply/slot, it may be smaller than the standard size. You don't want to find out that the new supply you bought doesn't fit.

jesh4622

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
There are four screws on the back. Remove them your existing power connectors, then remove the old power supply. Slide in the new one, plug in the motherboard connector, then install all the other necessary plugs. Hard to mess up if you know how to use a screwdriver. =] The only thing is with the old power supply disconnected your case will not be grounded until you put the new one in. This leaves you open for damage to your PC from electrostatic discharge. Use a grounding strap or touch a grounded object before you install your new p.s.

beenthere

Distinguished
If you want to objectively, accurately and scientifically determine what PSU power is required for your Vid card and PC in both watts and 12v rail amps., the forum Utility link below will show you how easy it is to calculate this information and objectively determine which PSUs are quality built, reliable PSUs that can meet your needs. Be advised that the available 12v rail amps. is just as important as the total PSU wattage. You need both to be correct.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314712-28-please-read-determine-power-required

TRENDING THREADS