Sign in with
Your question

Win xp 32bit is fine, but win7 64bit bsods constantly

Last response: in Systems
December 31, 2011 8:58:59 AM

OK, had this machine running fine for around two years, latest change was a GTX460, but some months ago. For the last week or so, had BSOD's, getting worse until i couldn't even boot. Dual booting into XP 32bit is fine, but win7 64 bit just keeps BSOD'ing. Have run memtest, OCCT, Everest, and numerous other to test components/stability and everything passes. Then i run win7, BSOD!!! AAARRGGHHH!
I've never come across a problem like this and it's just doing my head in. Like i said, all was fine until a week or so ago, and win XP32 still runs fine, but it's more of a backup install than my main OS. I've swapped out RAM, switched HDD's, ran bare minimum of one HDD, one optical, RAM and GFX, still BSOD. Nothing is overclocked and i'm starting to really pull my hair out now.
Temps are all good, CPU runs about 35'C idle and up to 50'C full load, GPU runs 50'C idle and up to 70'C full load.
I've reinstalled win7 after several failed attempts, it ran for a couple of hours, then this morning won't boot again. I've set bios to failsafe deaults, no dice. I've installed only MS drivers, then manufacturer drivers. I'm getting all kinds of different reasons for BSOD, page fault in non paged area, irq not equal, problem with win32k.sys, ntoskrnl.sys and many many more. It never seems to be the same fault twice, which makes it even harder to diagnose.
I've done all the usual troubleshooting with swapping out components with known working ones from another PC, i've run all the test programs i can think of, and the system was rock solid until about a week ago.
The motherboard says my PSU voltages are fine, it's a 650 watt PSU, so with the GTX460 and minimal other components it should be fine, and it was running well. So i'm not sure what to blame at this point. If anyone out there knows what could have caused this sudden fault, i'd be eternally grateful. As i say XP32 is fine, i'm using it now to post this, but win7 x64 is borked.
H_E_L_P!!! :fou: 
December 31, 2011 9:12:22 AM

Have you updated graphics drivers?
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
December 31, 2011 9:13:55 AM

Please give me a manufacturer/model/age list of all your current components.

Additionally, give me a separate manufacturer/model/age list of all the things you tried to switch in.

Also, did anything at all change a week ago in the Windows 7 OS? Did you install a new program? Update drivers? Get malware?
Related resources
December 31, 2011 10:02:11 AM

Your Win7 may have corrupt data from any device updated driver installed (maybe some update?)
Hard to track which one..
December 31, 2011 10:21:59 AM

OK, my CPU is intel quad core 9550
GFX = palit gtx460 2gb
Ram = 2x2gb OCZ platinum edition 800mhz
mobo MSI Neo-F P43 (MSI-7519)
HDD 2x500gb desktar SATA (1 with xp32, 1 with win7 x64)
Samsung DVDRW SATA
Lite-on DVDRW IDE (Currently disabled)
Soundblaster x-fi xtreme gamer
Onboard NIC Realtek 8168C gigabit
PSU is 650watts single rail 30amps

All components are 2yrs old, except GTX460 which is about 7 months old.
I've tried a clean install of windows 7 on two different HDD's, still get BSOD's. Can install it using spare RAM from other PC, but still end up with BSOD's when running win7. The spare ram is PNY ddr2 667mhz. I've tried disabling HPET in bios and setting loose timings for RAM. nothing is helping so far. I'm totally stumped. I'm thinking it's failed hardware somewhere, but memory passes several memtest passes, and runs win xp fine, just 7 x64 that crashes. HDD passes SMART and HHD tests. Like i said, the BSOD's are all different reasons, so it's making it imposiible to diagnose. If it was hardware, why does XP run fine, but win 7 x64 will not? I've never had a problem like this before.
December 31, 2011 10:28:54 AM

Can you try XP 64?
December 31, 2011 10:29:48 AM

I helped diagnose a different case where a computer was upgraded from XP to 7 and it started having a similar problem. The computer would crash a lot even though it worked just fine in XP. It turned out to be a RAM problem. Apparently, Windows 7 is more touchy than XP when it comes to RAM.

You said you tried different RAM and it still didn't work though, so take that for what it is worth.

Also, on a different note, is there any particular reason you chose to setup your hard drives this way?

It really has a number of severe disadvantages as compared to putting both OSs on one drive and all your data on a second drive and pretty much no advantages over that setup.

Also, what do you mean by several Memtest passes? Ideally, you want to run this thing overnight and through the next work day and get like 30+ passes minimum without impacting home use very much.

I have seen it many times that the errors don't start until at least 5 or 10 passes in.
December 31, 2011 11:36:49 AM

Raiddinn said:
I helped diagnose a different case where a computer was upgraded from XP to 7 and it started having a similar problem. The computer would crash a lot even though it worked just fine in XP. It turned out to be a RAM problem. Apparently, Windows 7 is more touchy than XP when it comes to RAM.

You said you tried different RAM and it still didn't work though, so take that for what it is worth.

Also, on a different note, is there any particular reason you chose to setup your hard drives this way?

It really has a number of severe disadvantages as compared to putting both OSs on one drive and all your data on a second drive and pretty much no advantages over that setup.

Also, what do you mean by several Memtest passes? Ideally, you want to run this thing overnight and through the next work day and get like 30+ passes minimum without impacting home use very much.

I have seen it many times that the errors don't start until at least 5 or 10 passes in.

Thanks for your help so far guys.
I run the OS's on separate drives just in case the actual win7 drive dies, i still have xp on a separate drive in case, like now! I have a 2tb external drive that i backup data onto, so that's not a problem. I will run memtest for longer and see what happens, i can set it running now and leave it going. I'll come back when it's ran LOTS of passes... LOL
Thanks again.
December 31, 2011 11:48:59 AM

I guess it does allow for potentially more uptime.

I usually advise people to put both OSs on one of the 500s and all the data on one of the other 500s and to have a 3rd backup location where you just drag the whole 2nd 500 to the 3rd one every so often for maximized ease of maintenance.

Drives with OSs on them fail much more often than drives with only data on them, so in this case both OSs would kill the same drive which didn't have data on it.

It is always the people who come in here asking about data recovery options that have 1 OS per drive. The people that have everything important in their lives on one of the drives with an OS on it (all of them).

In such cases, dropping $100 on a new boot drive is no big deal.

Such people should probably have better backup solutions in general, but either way they aren't maximally protected from an OS distribution perspective either.

Anyway, if it works for you its fine, I think it isn't maximally protecting you.

Let me know how it turns out with 8+ hrs of testing, 16+ preferred.
January 1, 2012 9:54:28 AM

OK, ran memtest for 21 and bit hours, passed 23 full tests with no errors. Have set RAM timings and voltage manually according to OCZ specs to eliminate any bugs in bios providing wrong timings etc on auto.
Have just booted into windows 7 ran for 4 minutes until another BSOD. Plus two BSOD's yesterday, always a different reason. System service exception in win32k.sys, No MORE IRP STACK LOCATIONS, stop error with dxgmms1.sys.
Come to the forums using XP, all is fine! Aaarrggghhh!
If i could stick to xp i would, but i need the extra RAM and 64bit for some of my video apps to run at a reasonable speed. Plus i've paid for both OS'es and i'm damned if i'm not gonna use them both!
One other thing, i've run OCCT probably 50 or 60 times and it reported an error on the CPU test within 30 secs two times out of those 60. But i'm not sure if that means the CPU or mobo or RAM or PSU etc. Those two errors happened once yesterday before i ran memtest, and once this morning. CPU passes all other tests i've run on it. Any suggestions for good CPU test programs apart from the usual prime95 etc?
The CPU passed all other tests including occt until yesterday. And as usual, it's running XP fine. I've even run a couple of games fine. I'm gonna install GTA IV on XP and see if that causes any bugs, as we all know GTA IV was never stable to begin with. lol
Thanks for all the help, I always believe now matter how much you know (i've been fixing computers and consoles for 20+ years), you can always learn more!
January 1, 2012 11:02:25 AM

Do a surface scan on the hard drive

Double click my computer
Right click C
Properties
Tools
Error Checking
Check Now
Check the box to scan for errors
Hit schedule
Restart

Note whether or not it finds any.

Then restart and boot into safe mode and try to crash it if you can.
January 1, 2012 11:03:58 AM

Already tested both drives, pass all tests fine.
Will boot into safe mode and try to crash it.
January 1, 2012 12:08:58 PM

Tried to crash it in safe mode and couldn't. Ran prime95, everest stability test and OCCT, which would normally crash it in seconds. Prime95 and everest ran fine for 30 mins each in safe mode. However OCCT stopped with errors on CPU test around 30 secs in. so i'm still stumped. Why is OCCT showing CPU errors that the other programs aren't? Why does XP run fine, even gaming or video transcoding, but win 7 BSOD's if i even look it's way?
January 1, 2012 12:43:42 PM

Ok tell me if I have this right.

You restarted in safe mode.
You found no way to crash it.
You restarted back into regular mode.
You ran stress tests.
Windows crashed during OCCT.

Regardless if I have that right or not, one possible cause of the problems is some device that has good drivers in XP and which doesn't have good drivers in Windows 7. Are there any really old things connected?

I would suggest you look at the computer and see what you can do without. Disconnect the CD drive, the sound card if it is a separate card, whatever CD drive you don't need for Windows 7, and the video card if you have an onboard one. See if it is stable with the absolute minimum devices.
January 1, 2012 5:25:19 PM

OK, i removed the sound card just to eliminate it anyway. Thought i'd found the problem as i then ran GTA IV for a couple of hours trouble free (Without sound). Then left PC idling for a while, came back and the nvidia hdmi audio driver had installed itself, even though i'd removed it and the cretive x-fi drivers, so there were no sound drivers at all. After the nvidia driver installed itself, i fired up chrome and bam BSOD. This time the error was reference_by_pointer stop: 0x00000018.
Also OCCT is showing 9-10 volts on the 12v rail, but my multimeter shows 12.1 which drops to 11.96 under load, so i'm not sure what to make of that. Could it be the mobo? I've tested my RAM, CPU, GFX, sound could only be tested by running by dxdiag and checking it passed. So after everything passes all the tests, and win xp runs fine, i'm still stuck with win 7 not running without BSOD's.
I would agree with you that it's a driver issue, but i've gotten so many different error codes with the BSOD's, and i've removed and swapped things around, all to no avail so far. The only things i think of right now are faulty mobo or PSU, but the PSU is putting out all the right numbers according to my muliti-meter, but OCCT is showing something else entirely.
Could the mobo have just decided to start acting up and cause all these different errors? I mean i always get at least a half decent mobo, as it's the basis of a great system. But this one has me stumped, win xp works fine, and win 7 throws up errors. I've tried 3 different driver versions for the sound card, 5 different versions for my GFX card, and 3 different chipset drivers, with subsequent re-installs of win7, so i'm totally at a loss.
Do you know of anything that will test the mobo more than the devices plugged into it. If OCCT picks up two CPU errors, it could be the CPU, or the RAM, or the MOBO, but i can test the CPU and MOBO and have them test almost everything, with the exception of those couple of errors in OCCT. But nothing really tests the mobo.
I'm gonna dig out my old GFX card and try running that too, just to see what happens.
January 1, 2012 5:27:40 PM

Sorry i meant to say test the CPU and RAM, not MOBO! Can't edit my posts, i'm not allowed. lol
January 1, 2012 5:44:27 PM

If you are having trouble getting rid of sound because it keeps reinstalling itself, then try disabling it in the BIOS or in Windows hardware manager.

It very easily could be the sound.
January 2, 2012 9:21:19 AM

I'm going to try and disable the Nvidia sound driver, it's built into the software install for my gfx card to pass audio through hdmi to TV/monitor. I never use software sound anyway. So that'll be my next step when i get home later, and then we'll see what happens!
Thanks again for the help.
!