Building a new computer

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 31, 2011 9:03:17 AM

Hi all,

Im planning on building a new computer after my old one broke down, I have a budget of about USD$2300. However as I do not live in the US, I do not have access to super cheap parts on newegg. I would have to live with the prices of the retailers here.

I plan using the computer for gaming. Playing games such as Starcraft 2, Dota 2, Diablo 3 and more. I would like to be able to play the games on high quality settings if not max if possible.

I dont know too much about computer hardware, however I did alittle research. Here are the parts im considering:

Mainboard: Asus P8Z68-Deluxe
Processor: Intel i5 2500k
Graphics card: MSI N560GTX-Ti 1GB DDR5 Twin Frozr II x2
Ram: G-Skill RipJawX 1866MHz CL9 8GB
Casing: Corsair Obsidian 650D

Im unsure what PSU I need and if I lacked anything. Feel free to recommend me alternatives if the above doesnt appeal to you.

More about : building computer

December 31, 2011 9:20:40 AM

Quote:
Ram: G-Skill RipJawX 1866MHz CL9 8GB

See if you can find this brand RAM in 1333MHz or 1600MHz.
Unless they are the same price as this 1866MHz one, you are paying for slightly faster RAM that won't have a noticeable difference.

You are missing a hard drive, unless you plan on reusing an old one.

For a power supply, a good 750-850W power supply would be suitable. Choose a brand like Corsair, SeaSonic or Antec.
m
l
December 31, 2011 11:26:49 AM

That ram for sandy bridge? Sandy Bridge architecture do not have any measurable gains in real world usage from anything better than DDR3 1333Mhz. You could "downgrade" your memory, you won't feel any difference.

The Asus P8Z68 Deluxe is a GREAT mobo, have one :) 
A 750W+ quality PSU is enough for your system (just check slizone for this kind of info, it's a nvidia official website)
m
l
Related resources
December 31, 2011 3:39:38 PM

I could get a G-Skill RipJawX 1600MHz CL9 8 GB or a Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL9 8 GB. Which one would be better ?

Sorry I forgot to list the hard drives. I plan on getting 2, an SSD for boot and selected games and a HDD for other stuff.

SSD: OCZ Agility 3 240 GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

What are the differences between the 16 MB, 32 MB and 64 MB caches ? Is that HDD fast/good ?

Can someone also tell me if the graphics card I listed are good for SLI with no problems or is there a more compatible card.

Also, would this PSU do ? Seasonic X Series 760W Modular.
m
l

Best solution

January 1, 2012 1:59:53 AM

Quote:
I could get a G-Skill RipJawX 1600MHz CL9 8 GB or a Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL9 8 GB. Which one would be better ?

Both are good choices, just go for whatever is cheaper I guess. Keep in mind that the Corsair Vengeance has a large heatsink (it's quite tall), so if you are getting an aftermarket cooler, you should make sure that there is enough space.

That's an excellent choice for a PSU. This review rated it very highly (http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sea_x_760w/7.ht...).

The HDD Cache (16, 32 or 64MB) is just the amount of data a hard drive can hold in memory. Data in this memory can be read/written faster than the stuff on the drive itself. It's basically the hard drive's own RAM. The larger this cache, the more files can be stored in it for faster access.
In real world performance, the read/write speed of the drive itself is much more important than this HDD cache.
Considering you have chosen a WD Caviar Black, which is a high performance drive at the top of the Caviar range, you are fine.

I can't comment on the SSD, I know nothing about the models out there. You might want to take a look at this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/buy-ssd-recommendat...

One last thing, a DVD Drive if you plan on installing Windows or another OS off a DVD. You can put in the drive from your old computer if it uses SATA. I don't think you forgot this, reminding you just in case =P
January 1, 2012 5:42:05 AM

Oh about the cooling, would I need an aftermarket cooler or are the stock fans fine ?

I didn't forget the DVD drive, just planning on getting a cheap one. Im installing windows off my external HDD
m
l
January 1, 2012 6:12:51 AM

If you plan on overclocking, you should buy an aftermarket cooler.
If not, the stock cooler is fine.
m
l
January 1, 2012 8:55:04 AM

Best answer selected by Shiryou.
m
l
January 1, 2012 8:55:41 AM

Thank you for all the help.

I'll be heading out to piece together this baby.
m
l
January 1, 2012 9:19:31 AM

It's a nice build.
I hope all goes well.
m
l
!