soulrain

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Had this rig for a few years now. It has an i7 and this morning after installing an OS it my ASUS bios warned me of high CPU temps. I hit F1 and continued into the OS and installed speed fan and indeed my CPU temps are in the 90-100C range.

Recently I had a GFX card fan go bad so I replaced my card and installed a temp monitoring app to watch temps and all is well.

I am just curious what the possible causes could be for my cpu starting to run hot all of the sudden.

After doing some searches, people say the thermal grease can bake to nice and crispy over time between your heat sink and cpu.

The cpu fan seems fine.

I blew everything with compressed air.

I have a spacious full atx case with tons of fans and my temps previously were really good....

The mystery begins any good lead ideas for me to follow up?

soulrain

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

Ya I am going to replace the paste. I have my case open now and the four locks holding the HS to my mobo seems really secure but I agree maybe gravity has off set it bait over time....

really strange.

I have an asus P6T deluxe mono and just downloaded asus probe II it has my CPU running at 84C and gave a warning.

I will grab some arctic silver tomorrow and try re-applying.

Anyone have experience with the processes of re-applying paste? I am going to go google it now but if anyone has tips or other ideas why my cpu could be running hot much thanks.

soulrain

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
I just took my heatsink off and here is what it looks like:

2rw7vyq.jpg

25s51ld.jpg

It looks pretty cooked to me but this is the first time I have checked it out so I don't have much of a bench mark.

soulrain

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

amuffin:

Thanks so much for the steps I really appreciate it.

I posted a few pics of what I am looking at.

Does it look like that is what could have been the problem?

soulrain

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

I truly appreciate your help man!

The rubbing alcohol I have is 70% where can I get the purer stuff?

What would you use to wipe off the residue? A rag, paper towel or....?