Motherboard FSB confusion+CPU possibly being underclocked

pileggi

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Hello! I have been lurking this forum for a month or two out of curiosity and now my own questions have brought me to making an account and asking for some advice and possibly obtaining some hard answers if you would be so kind!

I am quite new to the inner workings of computer hardware so please bare with me.

I recently bought a second hand computer off of a good friend of mine and overall I am very pleased with what I got for the money I gave him. I intend to use it as a media center and for some old shooters like CoD 2. My specifications are as follows: (If you would like a detailed Everest report then please ask)

Motherboard: MSI MS-7267
CPU: Intel Core Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz ~2.1GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
RAM:2GB

When I first looked at the dxdiag I noticed the ''~2.1GHz'' next to the processor report. This baffled me as I assumed that the processor should be working at 2.66GHz and not 2.1GHz. When I checked the specs of my computer further with Everest I found that the processor was indeed working at 2.1GHz. I figured this was because the FSB for my MB is 133MHz while the processor muliplier is 16x. 133x16=2128 which is more or less my current clock speed.

This is where my knowledge ends and i must ask a few questions. Is my processor really being effectively underclocked by the motherboard? There were no hardware upgrades made to this computer as far as I know and it doesn't make sense that the manufacturer would use a motherboard that is not capable of utilizing the processors full potential.

Is my motherboard capable of using a higher FSB frequency safely or alternatively is it safe for me to change my processors multiplier if possible? I understand the act of overclocking often entails changing FSB and CPU multiplipliers which can be dangerous to hardware. Am I right in thinking that the risk doesn't apply in this case because I am simply trying to obtain the right clock speed and not a higher one?

So the bottom line is: Is my MB reducing the potential of my processor and do I need to change some settings in my BIOS or do I simply need a better motherboard that can do the job. I am reluctant to change anything in the BIOS without a second opinion as I have never done anything like this before.

I have tried to provide as much information as I can, sorry if this was a bit of a long read.

Any advice and enlightenment is greatly appreciated!

Additional information:
The computer was originally formatted and installed with Windows 7 by my friend. The original OS was Windows vista. The cooler is also a stock fan as far as I know.

Solution
FSB speed on CPU is 1333, but from the info I found on the MSI board the FSB is 533/800, so it's not surprising that your CPU is not running at 2.66GHz as it's being bottlenecked by the motherboard.

I've heard about OC'ing the chipset on the motherboard, but of course that comes with a risk, especially considering how old that board already is.

Hoping someone with actual experience with this situation chimes in with some feedback, but I'd have to say your mobo is definitely causing the performance gap and pushing your CPU harder to make up for that may not be smart.

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
FSB speed on CPU is 1333, but from the info I found on the MSI board the FSB is 533/800, so it's not surprising that your CPU is not running at 2.66GHz as it's being bottlenecked by the motherboard.

I've heard about OC'ing the chipset on the motherboard, but of course that comes with a risk, especially considering how old that board already is.

Hoping someone with actual experience with this situation chimes in with some feedback, but I'd have to say your mobo is definitely causing the performance gap and pushing your CPU harder to make up for that may not be smart.

Solution

pileggi

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013

Hi there, thanks for the quick reply. I think you're right in saying the MB is bottle necking the CPU. After taking a look on the MSI website I found a quick disclaimer stating that the motherboard is capable of 800MHz by default and that overclocking is possible but not recommended.

I doubt I'll risk overclocking unless I know it's 100% safe as the computer already does what I want, that extra 0.5GHz would of been really nice though.

I am considering getting a new MB for this set up providing the price tag isn't too steep. I really haven't got a clue where to begin as I have very little knowledge about motherboards. One that can handle the current processor and maybe a little more would be nice. Do you have any recommendations?

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Something like this would work....

http://www.amazon.com/P5G41T-M-LX-PLUS-Intel-Motherboard/dp/B005WUWJHK
OR
http://www.amazon.com/ASRock-Intel-Micro-Motherboards-G41M-VS3/dp/B004WJRBUW

You need a socket 775 motherboard designed for the Core Duo series
Either of those can run FSB 1333 based on CPU. The ASUS one seems a bit higher performance but I think either would give you what you need.

Of course, from a gaming perspective a better graphics card might get you further than opening up .5GHz from your CPU.

For the same cost as those motherboards, you could go up to this....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130534

pileggi

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I will be buying the ASrock mobo and some new RAM this weekend and will probably have it fitted the week after.

As for the graphics card, that's something I will definitely be replacing in the near future (probably with my next paycheck) but I want to get this motherboard business sorted first.