Process is taking more cpu

G

I am running a process on 16 cpu Ubuntu machine. Problem I am facing is more CPU utilization. Process is taking 200% CPU. But memory is not growing and it is stable. Please let me know the prcedure to reduce CPU utilization.

phillcollins

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Following are some steps you can follow:

1.Access a list of processes running on your computer.
2. Determine the processes using the most CPU.
3.End processes that are consuming large amounts of CPU.
4.Determine the amount of RAM your computer hasDetermine the amount of RAM you need.
5.Purchase the extra RAM needed.

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
I can't determine what your problem is. From what I can understand, I can see 2 scenarios:
1. You have 1 process at 200% and want to reduce it. We have no idea about the process (name or a process developed by you)
2. Is the number 200% a problem? In linux, CPU % are summed, so a 200% means 2 CPUs are 100%, or 3 at 66%. So unless there is 1600%....

PS: in ubuntu, you can use top to monitor process usage in a terminal.

G

Thnaks for your answers ! I am using 16 cpu Ubuntu machine. There is 1600% CPU. Any way my process is using only 200% out of 1600%. Still I can reduce CPU utilization by optimizing my code. But, for time being it is okay. We will discuss again once i start performance testing on other hardware. I need to cross check on different platforms. Thanks.