Alienware lost my order. How's this CyberPC look?

malanick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
My Alienware R3 delayed, so I canceled.
Looking at getting this computer.
Need to be under 2000 with shipping.
Does this look good?
Not going to do alot of gaming.

•*BASE_PRICE: [+1399]
•BLUETOOTH: None
•CAS: * Apevia X-Plorer 2 Mid-Tower Case w/ Side-Panel Window and MultiMeter Display (Black Color with 200mm UV Blue LED Fan)
•CASUPGRADE: None
•CD: LG UH12LS28K 12X Blu-Ray Player & DVDRW Combo Drive [+0] (BLACK COLOR)
•CD2: None
•COOLANT: Standard Coolant
•CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K 3.20 GHz 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)
•CS_FAN: Default case fans
•ENGRAVING: NONE
•FA_HDD: None
•FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
•FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer [+10] (BLACK COLOR)
•FREEBIE_VC1: FREE! Battlefield 3 Game (Intel) [+0]
•FREEBIE_VC2: FREE Just Cause 2 Game Coupon [+0]
•GLASSES: None
•HDD: 240GB Corsair Force Series SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 550MB/s Read & 510MB/s Write [+269] (Single Drive)
•HDD2: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+110] (1TB x 2 (2 TB Capacity) Raid 0 Extreme Performance [+110])
•IEEE_CARD: IEEE 1394 CARD AND DRIVER [+19]
•IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
•KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
•MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
•MONITOR: None
•MONITOR2: None
•MONITOR3: None
•MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) Gigabyte X79-UD3 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI DualBIOS, Dolby Home Theater 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 4 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI
•MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
•NCSW: None
•NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
•OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Professional [+31] (64-bit Edition)
•OVERCLOCK: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more) [+49]
•POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply
•RUSH: 5% Instant Rebate for Non-Rush Delivery Order over $999 - Ships within 3 Weeks - Must Enter Coupon Code "NORUSH" during checkout [+0]
•SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
•SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
•SPEAKERS: None
•TEMP: None
•TVRC: None
•USB: None
•USBFLASH: None
•USBHD: None
•USBX: None
•VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
•VIDEO2: None
•VIDEO3: None
•WNC: None
•_PRICE: (+1997)

I would be sad if all I could get out of $2000 was a 550 TI.

If you can't squeeze a 580 in there on a $2000 budget you should probably consider cutting back somewhere to allow for that.

Start by getting rid of 1 of the 1TB hard drives (-110)

Too much for premium parts and a configuration setup for a system with extreme gaming in mind, then only getting a 550ti for a video card.
This is like buying a Ferrari and asking them to put a Prius engine it since you only need something to take the kids to school and stop by grocery store, simply does not make sense.
Just not a very well thought out build, but I am sure the people you are paying are loving it.

malanick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

NOT going to do a lot of gaming.
Will be doing HDV editing (Vacation Movies)
I just want something that will still be fast in a few years.
I can always get new graphic cards in a year or two.

It's still a terrible value and poor selection of parts for what you are doing.

malanick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

What's wrong for a sub-$2000 Hex-core computer that's not a primary gaming rig?
GPU can be upgraded down the road if programs I use get GPU acceleration.

This would be a great build, if you needed all of this stuff, but most of the cost of the system is built around providing for a very high end GAMING machine, not at all what you will be doing with the machine. If this is what you want, that is fine, its your choice in the end, but since you are asking, here is my opinion on some of your choices.............

You are paying for a premium for these items, which you really do not need and likely will never make use of.
*Motherboard, why a premium 3 way SLI capable motherboard?
*Hexacore? A quad would do more than you ever need.
*2 1TB drives in RAID?
*Liquid cooling? What a pain, and certainly you don't need it!
*Overclocked? You can do that in about 15 seconds yourself, but then for your needs, whats the point?
*16GB of Memory? 8 should be plenty. Memory is cheap and can easily be upgraded in the future if you ever need.
*A gaming mouse and gaming keyboard?

Some of these parts come standard with this build I am sure, but you are still paying for stuff you will never benefit from. I would start over and find a build that more suits your needs, at a more realistic price, and then do a small upgrade of a couple of key components if you think they are not up to your needs. But you are starting with a very high end system, and then trying to downgrade the very part the entire system is designed around, because you don't need it. In a few years, ANYTHING you build right now will be outdated in some way, and overspending on parts you do not really need now is not the most value minded approach to making sure the build will last you several years.

Better yet, build your own, its not that hard to do.