6950 Help - AGAIN

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 2, 2011 9:28:21 PM

Why is my computer not booting up when my monitors are plugged into the graphics card (DVI and Display Port). If my cables are unplugged, it boots up fine. Brand new card with existing computer.

More about : 6950

November 2, 2011 9:36:24 PM

BellyFlop said:
Why is my computer not booting up when my monitors are plugged into the graphics card (DVI and Display Port). If my cables are unplugged, it boots up fine. Brand new card with existing computer.

What do you mean by "not booting up"? How many monitors? Have you tried just one at a time?
m
l
November 2, 2011 9:43:58 PM

Computer not booting up means LEDs flash for a sec and then nothing after that. I have to manually shut off power toggle on PSU, wait for motherboard LED to go out and then I can attempt power up again. PSU is a 1200W Thermaltake.

I have a total of 3 monitors. But for right now, I am using 2 monitors due to fact that I mistakenly bought a passive DP : HDMI cable.

I have tried only one monitor. Connections are DVI-D, HDMI and DP : HDMI (passive apparently). It only won't boot up on cold start with cables plugged in. Restarts are fine. Old card was a 5870 that I always ran the three monitors with using eyefinity.
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2011 10:10:42 PM

Note: I totally forgot to uninstall the 5870 drivers. I feel dumb now. So, do I need to uninstall 6950 drivers and then reinstall 5870 gpu hardware, uninstall those drivers. From there, reinstall 6950 gpu and install drivers. Would this be source of problem?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 10:28:53 PM

Try it. If its working, then the driver is the problem.
m
l
November 2, 2011 10:34:23 PM

Not a driver isuue as your say it won't boot.

Plug one monitor in at a time and then see if it will boot. My guess is a bad cable to one of your monitors or a bad monitor.
m
l

Best solution

a c 143 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 2, 2011 10:36:01 PM

No it wouldn't be, the PC is not booting at the first place, drivers issues are related to windows environment.
Are you sure you hooked up the PCIE connectors ?
Right now try a single monitor with DVI/HDMI cable and see what's going.
November 2, 2011 10:39:44 PM

Sounds to me like one of your two mobo power connections came loose. Try to detach and re-attach both power cords to your mobo
m
l
November 3, 2011 4:05:29 AM

UPDATE

Okay, I did everything that everyone suggested. Removed battery for 1 hour and also reset jumper. Bios restored to default and booted with only one monitor (DVI-D).

SUCCESS!!!

I then booted with two monitors connected (DVI-D and HDMI) and no problems. My feeling is that either I didn't uninstalled old 5870 drivers or card was seated properly (which I removed and ensured it was secured). My other suspicion is the passive DP cable suck!! New active cable on order, we'll see.

In the end, I think that the cables are bad or the card wasn't seated properly and may have been shorting out or something. Thank you for the help!
m
l
November 11, 2011 4:16:17 AM

OK, anyone that has this same problem and wants to know a way to hook up three monitors.

First and most important: "Active" DisplayPort apapter or cable
Second: HDMI cable
Third: DVI-D to HDMI

Two of my monitors only had VGA and HDMI. I now have three monitors hooked up and eyefinity. Alrighty then.
m
l
November 18, 2011 1:24:39 AM

Best answer selected by BellyFlop.
m
l
!