Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Where can I find an Amd Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition 125w?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
April 10, 2012 12:01:20 PM

I’m looking for a new Amd Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition 125w.
I know its old but don’t have the $$ to upgrade my mobo. or anything else. Anyone know where I can purchase one?
Thanks!

Also needs to be a reputable seller....
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 10, 2012 12:09:45 PM

Hello jctwibell;

What MB are you using?
m
0
l
Related resources
April 10, 2012 12:21:28 PM

WR2 said:
Hello jctwibell;

What MB are you using?

Using a Dell C521 stock mobo, Model 0FP406 A03 REV. A2 With Nvidia Geforce 6150 Chipset. AM2 Socket.
Was told I could use this Processer just couldnt access the L3 Cache, also would need a bios update. (no idea where I could find that either...)
m
0
l
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 10, 2012 12:23:42 PM

That's a 140W TDP class CPU. I'm a bit surprised it would work in a budget motherboard from Dell.
m
0
l
April 10, 2012 12:26:14 PM

If I understand correctly there is a 125W version... That would work as I have an AMD Athlon 64x2 6000+ 125W 3.01GHZ in this mobo already.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2012 12:28:49 PM

What is your budget? Here in the UK you can knock up a Phenom II, mobo and DDR3 RAM for about £140. In the US i think microcenter gives a free mobo with a 960T (or it did not so long ago somebody was getting one in another thread) so $140-ish including some DDR3 RAM
m
0
l
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 10, 2012 12:35:45 PM

The only 2 listed on eBay are the ZFAJ4 140w version.
m
0
l
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 10, 2012 12:39:37 PM

That used 125W part wr6133 is probably the best option if you can get it at a good price.
m
0
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 10, 2012 3:01:15 PM

WR2 said:
Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition listings

Those are terrible prices for a 2008 CPU.


Considering I paid $130 for a Phenom 9850 back in early 09 I would have to agree. Lets not forget the fact that you can get a new CPU/motherboard/DDR3 ram for less than most of those prices and have better performance.
m
0
l
April 10, 2012 3:19:33 PM

wr6133 said:
What is your budget? Here in the UK you can knock up a Phenom II, mobo and DDR3 RAM for about £140. In the US i think microcenter gives a free mobo with a 960T (or it did not so long ago somebody was getting one in another thread) so $140-ish including some DDR3 RAM


Yeah they do seem a bit high... Didnt want to spend more than $150. Just looking for a CPU upgrade right now, saving for a big i7 rig sometime in the near future. scratch that, far future... ;) 
m
0
l
April 10, 2012 3:27:14 PM


yeah if this goes for a good price then maybe... Anyone know of any Co. that still sell these? :o 

ALSO the main reason for upgrading is that NFS The Run (no matter how low or high) I set the settings, I only get 15FPS MAX! I can play MW3 on everything ultra and BF3 on high... Anyone know what gives? I think its my CPU as it is running 100% all the time on games and NFS The Run is only using 50% of the Graphics Card.... (and 100% of the CPU)

Specs, (yes, I know, old...)

Dell Dimension C521

Amd Athlon 64x2 6000+ 3.01GHZ

4GB of DDR2 Ram

EVGA 9800GT SC

160GB 7200RPM HHD

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

BTW how do I upload pics?? Thanks
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2012 3:34:41 PM

i3-2120 can beat that phenom in every tasks (games, multithreading, singlethreading etc)
i3-2100+mobo+ram will cost 95$(microcentre)+45$(newegg)+20$=160$, and you can sell your oldone.
m
0
l
April 10, 2012 3:42:40 PM

truegenius said:
i3-2120 can beat that phenom in every tasks (games, multithreading, singlethreading etc)
i3-2100+mobo+ram will cost 95$(microcentre)+45$(newegg)+20$=160$, and you can sell your oldone.

links?
m
0
l
April 10, 2012 6:02:04 PM

Good prices, closest micro store is in ATL a good 4hrs from me. Thanks for the links, still going with the AMD phenom... (Anyone know a place that still sells em?) I kinda have a bit of sentimental value for my minibeast... ;) 
Again how can I post pics?
Thanks
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2012 6:28:24 PM

:lol: 
4 hr journey :p 
use photobucket to post images :D 
m
0
l
April 10, 2012 6:35:54 PM

truegenius said:
:lol: 
4 hr journey :p 
use photobucket to post images :D 

yes and when you own a large SUV it gets $$$... :p  Add that into the cost.... :ouch: 

ok duh, thanks.
m
0
l
April 10, 2012 10:12:18 PM

and i thought driving 45 minutes to get a new amd phenom 960t black edition for $90 was bad.
m
0
l
April 10, 2012 11:11:55 PM

yeah well Im 45min from anything so pfft....

So back on topic, any place ONLINE that I can purchas one of these procs?
m
0
l
April 11, 2012 10:50:02 AM

One more thing, the eBay seller of the above CPU says he played an "enormous amount of games on the processer". (For a year ish) Should that worry me and should I be looking toward a new one or not?

Edit: I asked for the temps, (still wating on those) says it was overclocked to 2.8GHZ on an ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm Ceramic CPU Cooler.
m
0
l
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 11, 2012 10:55:35 AM

I'm not too concerned that a lot of games were run on it for a over a year.
If he'd had it overclocked (it IS a Black Edition after all) I'd worry more over that if I knew it had been pushed to it's limit and THEN gamed hard for a year.

Really, nothing more in the way of options online has turned up.
The used CPU is the only one I think gives you a decent option on price.
m
0
l
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 11, 2012 10:58:34 AM

jctwibell said:
Edit: I asked for the temps, (still wating on those) says it was overclocked to 2.8GHZ on an ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm Ceramic CPU Cooler.
You added the overclocking detail just as I was posting.
That 2.8Ghz OC result was the 'standard' OC the X4 9950 was getting back in the day. Nothing outrageous there - it's about what I would have expected.
m
0
l
April 11, 2012 11:04:34 AM

Ok thanks for the fast reply!

Lets say I get this, I have been told that if put in an AM2 slot that I cant use the L3 Cache. Is this true?

Also what is the fastest graphics card I can get without bottlenecking this CPU? (has to be single slot.)
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2012 11:44:32 PM

jctwibell said:
Ok thanks for the fast reply!

Lets say I get this, I have been told that if put in an AM2 slot that I cant use the L3 Cache. Is this true?

Also what is the fastest graphics card I can get without bottlenecking this CPU? (has to be single slot.)



Biggest difference between AM2 & AM2+ is Hypertransport AM2 being HT2.0 and AM2+ being HT3.0. L3 cache is actually a processor function and not a motherboard function, so yes you will be able to use the L3 cache with your AM2 board.

As far as your other question on the fastest GPU you can use, for reference I'm using a 9950 BE but its a 140w version and I have it overclocked to 3.1ghz - I just recently purchased a AMD 7870 and all the games I've tried so far run great, albeit I'm sure I would yield some better frames/performance with lets say a 2500k but for now I'm happy with it.
m
0
l
April 12, 2012 12:27:16 AM

Ahh I see, I thought it might be because it wasnt an Am2+. Ok that makes more sense.

Im planning on OCing it to 3.0GHZ (Im guessing a 15X muliplyer will do the trick) I have a scythe shrunkin low profile cpu cooler with some AC5.

Im thinking about just keeping the 9800GT in for now hopefully upgrade soon.
To this:http://www.aztekcomputers.com/60XGH6DP4BXK-GALAXY-TECHN...

Or a sparkle one GTX 570.
m
0
l
April 13, 2012 6:29:39 PM

So been looking around, I cant seem to find the Sparkle One GTX 570 anywere... anyone know if they actuall sell it?

Also the Galaxy GTX 460 RAZER, with that card will my "future" CPU be a bottleneck?
Thanks for everyones help thus far!
m
0
l
July 29, 2014 7:44:05 AM

I have a similar setup as you, OP. How did the upgrade to the Phenom go?
m
0
l
July 31, 2014 9:46:19 AM

action2288 said:
I have a similar setup as you, OP. How did the upgrade to the Phenom go?


I actually never did the upgrade. The AM2 slot in the Dell machine didnt like the Phenom causing it to hang up and not POST. I ended up going used with an intel with a core 2 quad extreme QX6800. Transferred all my parts over to an Optiplex machine and it runs great. Sold old parts and got the whole thing (including a GTX 650 ti SSC and Crucial 256gb SSD) for $170. :) 

Hope this helps!
m
0
l
July 31, 2014 9:50:23 AM

jctwibell said:
action2288 said:
I have a similar setup as you, OP. How did the upgrade to the Phenom go?


I actually never did the upgrade. The AM2 slot in the Dell machine didnt like the Phenom causing it to hang up and not POST. I ended up going used with an intel with a core 2 quad extreme QX6800. Transferred all my parts over to an Optiplex machine and it runs great. Sold old parts and got the whole thing (including a GTX 650 ti SSC and Crucial 256gb SSD) for $170. :) 

Hope this helps!


Right on. It does help. Thanks.
m
0
l
!