Will this Prebuilt HP work for Games like Skyrim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjcs24

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Could someone tell me if this desktop would work for games like Skyrim or Star Wars Old Republic? And, can you add a graphics card that would help make it better? If so, which one? Sorry, I am very new to this! I have a 14 year old son and would like to get him a computer for his birthday. I would consider building him a gaming computer, but my budget would be around $700. and I am a little afraid that wouldn't be enough. I would very much appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks!

Processor and Memory

Processor Type:
AMD Quad-Core A6-3600 Accelerated Processor

Processor Speed:
2.10GHz

Cache:
4MB L2 CACHE

Memory (RAM):
8GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM memory (2x4GB)

Maximum Memory Expansion:
8GB

Hard Drive and Multimedia Drives

Hard Drive:
1TB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive

Optical Drive:
SuperMulti DVD Burner Write: 16x max DVD±R, 12x max DVD±R DL, 8x max DVD+RW, 6x max DVD-RW, 12x max DVD-RAM, 40x max CD-R, 32x max CD-RW Read: 16x max DVD-ROM, 40x max CD-ROM

Multimedia Card Slot:
15-in-1 memory card reader: supports SmartMedia, xD, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital (SD), Mini Secure Digital, Compact Flash I, Compact Flash II, IBM Microdrive, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick Pro Duo, RSMMC, MMC Mobile, MMC+

Graphics and Audio

Graphics:
AMD Radeon™ HD 6530 integrated graphics; Up to 4089MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows® 7

Audio:
External 1.2W/channel USB powered speakers

Display, Keyboard, Mouse and Webcam

Display Size:
HP 2311 x 23" LED Monitor

Keyboard:
USB Keyboard

Mouse:
USB Mouse

Webcam:
No

Connectivity
Ethernet:
10/100/1000Base-T network interface

Wi-Fi:
Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n

Bluetooth: No

Modem:
No

Ports/Slots

Ports:
• Headphone; Microphone (Front)
• 4 USB 2.0 ports (Back)
• 2 USB 2.0 ports (Front)
• Microphone-in/Line-in/Line-out (Back)
• 10/100/1000Mbps (Gigabit) Ethernet Support (Back)

Expansion:
• 3 PCI Express x1 (three available)
• 1 PCI Express x16 (available)
• 1 MiniCard (occupied)
• 2 external 5.25"" (one available)
• 1 external 3.5" (one available)
• 2 internal 3.5" (one available)

Software
Operating System:
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Solution
Your options
1. Check out a builder like cyberpower that builds gaming rigs. There is a cyberpower forum on this site that can help. I've never bought cyberpower so don't know if good or bad but they certainly should be able to build a gaming config.
2. Build you own gaming system. The 'newbuild' forum would be the place to post the amount you want to spend, or ask for 'minimum specs to play this game XX well'. there is a form somewhere you shuodl fill out when you ask for a recomendation
3. Buy a standard HP or Lenovo system, replace the power supply and add in a graphics card.

If you are not comfortable building or modifying PCs tehn go for a purpose build gaming system. A high end system would be intel I5-2500 or i5-2400...
AMD Radeon™ HD 6530 integrated graphics: Won't work, CPU ok, graphics not close.

IF you plan to game do not get an AMD A6-3600 which is combined CPU plus low level graphics (much better than intel, but..) . You want a separate CPU (AMD or Intel) and upper/middle graphic card (AMD or Nvidia).

Here are Skyrim Recommended PC Specs. Note the GTX 260 or HD4890 or better. Use the table on the last page of this article to find cards that meet that requirement. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3085.html

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
4GB System RAM
6GB free HDD space
DirectX 9 compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

Your options
1. Check out a builder like cyberpower that builds gaming rigs. There is a cyberpower forum on this site that can help. I've never bought cyberpower so don't know if good or bad but they certainly should be able to build a gaming config.
2. Build you own gaming system. The 'newbuild' forum would be the place to post the amount you want to spend, or ask for 'minimum specs to play this game XX well'. there is a form somewhere you shuodl fill out when you ask for a recomendation
3. Buy a standard HP or Lenovo system, replace the power supply and add in a graphics card.

If you are not comfortable building or modifying PCs tehn go for a purpose build gaming system. A high end system would be intel I5-2500 or i5-2400 based and include a $170 or higher video card from this ref: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3085-3.html A very playable system would be an AMD quad core with $115 Hd6670 based video. A don't know builder prices but you should be able to get something good in the $700 to $900 range.

Solution

sjcs24

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Thanks so much for the links and information. I have researched all day about building my own system vs. buying a prebuilt one. Thank you both for your replies and now I am off to follow your links!

4eyed

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
By building yourself you will save more money+not skimp on the quality of the psu which is the single most important component.

CPU: I'm not an expert on building pc's but at 700$ with a monitor i don't think you can go wrong with the i3 2100. It may only have 2 cores but they're so fast they will overperform a phenom ii x4 in any game.

Mobo: For the motherboard i think you should get a z68/p67 one because they will allow overclocking if you put a K-series processor down the road and have more features than cheap h61 mobos ( sata 6gbps and usb3 ).

GPU: I'm not sure if you can fit it in your budget, but a radeon hd 6870 would be great. At newegg.com it's only 145$ after rebates. It's worth it.

PSU: Antec earthwatts 430.

Case: Antec 300

Status
Not open for further replies.