Your question

How to use laptop hard drive as a external usb drive

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b D Laptop
April 10, 2012 1:20:01 PM

Hi,

I just refurbished my laptop with new hard drive and I would like to use my old laptop hard drive as a external usb hard drive. Is it possible? Any one can help me.....

Ankit
April 10, 2012 1:41:21 PM

If u get your harddrive out of the old laptop, u can buy a converter to connect it to you're pc.. eSATA i guess
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2012 1:41:36 PM

You can do this. You have to buy a powered drive enclosure for your 2.5" A SATA drive, with an external USB connector. Mount the drive in the enclosure, plug it in to the power and a USB port, and you're good to go.
Related resources
a c 101 à CPUs
April 10, 2012 2:10:20 PM

Quote:
Hi,

I just refurbished my laptop with new hard drive and I would like to use my old laptop hard drive as a external usb hard drive. Is it possible? Any one can help me.....

Ankit

I'm using this enclosure for mine: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... It's USB powered and it works on all systems except for old ones that provide very low USB power. It's easy to carry around, but if you don't have that requirement, then a powered case might be better as it requires a single USB connection.
a b D Laptop
April 10, 2012 3:43:40 PM

Yeah, just one more thing: if your hard drive is indeed a SATA drive, make sure that you don't buy an IDE enclosure accidentally.
a b à CPUs
a c 248 D Laptop
April 10, 2012 6:40:35 PM

szaboaz said:
Yeah, just one more thing: if your hard drive is indeed a SATA drive, make sure that you don't buy an IDE enclosure accidentally.

Hi :) 

You can buy a caddy which will do BOTH Sata and Ide...my shops sell them....

All the best Brett :) 
!