Sign in with
Your question

ANTEC LANBOY PROJECT

Last response: in Components
April 10, 2012 2:47:43 PM

This log highlights photos from the PC project video I'm doing with "Mod Brothers Podcast" Host, Kyle Van Der Mewre (aka Kylevdm). ..."I don't care what we do, as long as we mod something" Kyle told me before arriving in Minneapolis. I recalled the disdain we shared for Antec's LANBOY Air when it was released. I proceeded to uncover the dusty sample I reviewed for Episode #5 of "Mod Men" ....One day before Kyle's arrival I stripped down the LANBOY and implemented ideas that Kyle could contribute during his 2.5 day visit. The only elements that remained of the LANBOY Air was it's frame and 2 side panels.

PC Designer, Engineer, & Modder "Cheapskate" contacted me 2 weeks prior to Kyle's visit with photos of a Stainless Steel Reservoir he was developing. The design looked very industrial, like a vacuum chamber. It ignited my imagination of a sci-fi theme for our project. Let's transform it into something that resembles a make shift portable Nuclear Fusion Generator in a Post-Apocalyptic landscape. Created from parts salvaged by an Engineer after a fictional WWIV. As we worked, the fictional story started to take life... "He worked as a Senior Engineer at Los Alamos National Laboratory in their Developmental Dept before it was demolished in 2010." ...... From this point on, the build took on it's own life...

Unimpressed by Antec's Lanboy Air from Episode #5 of "Mod Men"

The factory finish was sanded and scuffed up, before it was permanently turned upside down with the PSU relocated to the outside.

Cable Management grommets were added to the ceiling.

The side panels are suspended like Gull Wing doors with "Laurey" style Cabinet Hinges from WoodCraft, http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2021219/25993/Laurey-Hinge-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-No-Inset-Surface-Mount-Pair.aspx

250mm cooling fan shroud I fabricated for the radiator from the SWORDM sent by Thermaltake for AMD build in 2006.

The front intake grill is a combination of machined aluminum 120mm "Reactor" fan grill and 120mm Blow Hole kit.

More about : antec lanboy project

April 11, 2012 3:12:49 PM

Thanks for tuning in and commenting everybody :D  I hope this video will make up for the lack of videos made over past months. Lots of great footage of this project including Kyle's visit, including a cabaret of characters I know and ventures outside of the workshop.

250mm is installed on the radiator. Fitting the new bezel and it's fastener screws. This will be painted Charcoal Grey Metallic, to match the chassis.

Road Warrior action figure discovered while touring Peacock Groove workshop in my warehouse on Thursday night. It won't be implemented in the project, but reminded of us of a grungy "Post-Apocalyptic" atmosphere from the movie, and inspired an idea or two for the build on following day.

Kyle is implementing UV Green Transparent acrylic windows...

Flipped MB tray with EVGA X58 and i7 920, cooled by XSPC Raystorm Waterblock
m
l
April 12, 2012 2:53:04 PM

Thank you for sharing your comments! The Stainless Steel Reservoir made by Cheapskate with Transparent Purple acrylic caps and clear acrylic clamps.

Determining the Res location over the Mnpctech blowhole ring on the front of the PC......

I fabricated the Bezel from Fractal-Design Arc Midi and Lancool Dragon K58 top panels

The custom bezel was given distressed and weathered paint effect.

The bezel is painted with Charcoal Grey Metallic paint, then highlighted with Flat Black paint.

Areas of the painted are scuffed with red Scotch-brite pad to create weathered effect.

Areas of the painted are scuffed with red Scotch-brite pad to create weathered effect.

The Core i7 920 is cooled by the XSPC Raystorm Waterblock.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
April 12, 2012 3:45:23 PM

:)  busy again huh bill :D 

i'm getting the xspc raystorm copper too - what barbs are those?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2012 12:04:13 PM

great work!
m
l
April 13, 2012 2:58:39 PM

@Lutfij, they're 3/8"

@hellfire, glad you like it!

Thank you for commenting guys!

Kyle and I visited Brad Galvin's paint shop to borrow his space and give Kyle a crash course in airbrushing 101. He airbrushed shadows on the reservoir and more weathered effects on the PSU, gpu and bezel.... Kyle is using Brad's Iwata's HP-CH airbrush gun with Black enamal paint

m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 13, 2012 3:27:38 PM

wow, that does look good! nice work!
m
l
April 13, 2012 8:23:31 PM

Thank you! Glad you like it :D 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 14, 2012 2:08:51 AM

^ hey!!! we still need to see how you made that shroud for the GPU!
m
l
April 14, 2012 12:30:29 PM

We only had 1.5 days in the shop, so we didn't have chance to document everything, I will see if we have any close-ups of that...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 14, 2012 1:05:05 PM

:/  oh well... though this did just pop into my head. Why don't you also post a link to this thread in the build logs thread since its also a watercooling project?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 15, 2012 2:27:23 AM

Awesome, Its art thats why i love modding.. Great work Bill

m
l
April 15, 2012 10:17:50 AM

@AlderonnX, Thank you! We had a lot of fun with this one...

@Lutfij, I posted it here, under "Cases & Mods" but is the Lanboy a case or just a chassis? that is the question :D 

Ok, here are the photos you requested, ASUS GTX 560 Ti's factory fans and shroud a "Steampunk" makeover.

Kyle made the Copper rings while I modified the factory shroud.

Kyle airbrushing aged and weathered effect on the "steampunk" inspired shroud.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 15, 2012 1:06:57 PM

wow, nice stuff on that DCII! well its still a watercooling loop - see if you can post it there :)  only a suggestion not an order mate! keep up the good work!
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
April 15, 2012 6:36:21 PM

Nice, DCII mods huh?, I'll be interested to see how they look in the finished build :) 
Moto
m
l
April 17, 2012 2:29:18 PM

Thank you everyone for tuning into this project log and sharing your comments and feedback! Over Kyle's 2 day visit, we transformed Antec's Lanboy Air into our vision of something that resembles make shift portable Nuclear Fusion Generator in Post-Apocalyptic landscape..

Our Lanboy mod makes no apologies for being Mean & Nasty looking.

The Gullwing style side panels were created with spring loaded hinges. The Lanboy was painted "Charcoal Grey" metallic with "distressed and weathered" highlights.

The XSPC Raystorm waterblock is kept cool with the massive 250mm cooling fan mounted on 8" x 9.25" wide Thermaltake radiator that was taken from their "SwordM" full tower. The fan behind the Stainless Steel reservoir is Enermax VEGAS Trio in Blue/Red/Green combo-LED with 11 switchable LED color modes.

Kyle created a custom switch box for the top with plastic wire loom covering the wires. The Green faucets created the illusion of plumbing for the toxic waste. The Lanboy chassis was flipped upside down with the NZXT 850 PSU relocated to the exterior. The watercool loop exits and re-enters the interior through in the top of the PC.

Intel Core i7 970, EVGA X-58 Classified, 12 GB Corsair DDR3, Dominator-GT, XSPC Raystorm CPU waterblock, Asus ASUS GTX 560, NZXT 850 Watt PSU, Mushkin 120 GB Calisto SSD
m
l
a c 139 ) Power supply
April 17, 2012 2:59:16 PM

Mean & Nasty AND Awesome looking.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 19, 2012 4:00:13 PM

best lanboy i ever saw.
m
l
April 24, 2012 2:51:34 PM

Thank you guys! Here is system photos as promised. It's been upgraded to Intel Core i7 970. The i7 is cooled with XSPC Raystorm CPU waterblock. The motherboard is EVGA's X-58 Classified with 12 GB of Corsair's DDR3 Dominator-GT and ASUS GTX 560 DirectCUII. Powered by NZXT's 850 Watt PSU with Win7 on Mushkin's 120 GB "Callisto" SSD.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 24, 2012 3:59:50 PM

^so you can run doom 1 on 640x480 resolution with 30 fps right"?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 24, 2012 4:12:52 PM

Amazing looking mod, what kind of time did it take from start to completion?
m
l
April 24, 2012 9:14:05 PM

that is the most bad ass lanboy ever, looks AMAZING man, great work, not something you see every day!

ps. really tempted to make stupid crysis joke but im not going to :p 
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
April 25, 2012 12:10:19 AM

Loving that DCII man, I'll pm you my 2x6950 DCII mod when done, blocks should be here by friday :-)
Won't look as cool as yours but I think you'll like what I'm doing
Moto
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 25, 2012 5:38:54 AM

^your dragon rider is one hell of a case!
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
April 25, 2012 6:30:36 AM

Thanks man, not sure if the Monster boys have seen it :p 
the rest of my parts should be here this week for my external radbox and I'm modding the DCII's to have waterblocks whilst keeping the DCII shrouds and fans,
should look (and perform) pretty good :) 
Moto
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 25, 2012 6:35:28 AM

i am keeping a watch on your thread.and i must say it's going pretty good.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
April 25, 2012 6:39:21 AM

/bows :) 
Moto
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 25, 2012 6:43:27 AM

:) 
m
l
April 28, 2012 8:12:39 PM

Yes, it's awesome! I will keep checking on your progress!

Thank you again for following this project :)  I have uploaded a video with highlights from this build.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 29, 2012 4:08:28 AM

^it is a really a great trick ;) 
m
l
April 29, 2012 4:33:28 PM

Indeed! the DCII is such a great card. thinkin we may use that same aquacomputer rad in the CMII build :) 
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
April 29, 2012 4:42:20 PM

Ac rads are pretty hehe, even before you start modding them
Moto
m
l
February 7, 2013 8:46:13 PM

it was a sweet radiator too :D 
m
l