What PSU do I need?

J-King

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Recently I've upgrade my entire system minus the PSU and i'm looking to make that upgrade.

my current system is-

EVGA Z68 SLI 130-SB-E685-KR
8G Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600 (9-9-9-24)
i7 2600K 3.4
MSI Twin Frozr GeForce 560 TI 448 core
160G OCZ Agility 2 SSD
Standard DVD-RW
1 x 80mm LED fan
1 x 80mm Fan
2 x 120mm Fan

I was looking at the Corsair HX650 as its on sale today for $94.99 on newegg. I just didn't know if it would be enough for this system or if I would need the HX750. The HX650 is much more affordable for me but I don't want to under power my system if 650 wont cut it.

Link to the corsair I'm looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139012

Solution
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores Limited Edition graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores Limited Edition graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 60 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in...

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
That PSU will do great in that system. No need for more wattage, but you may be able to find a quality rival from Antec, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, etc. for a better price. But that PSU (TX650) is primo, I have been running one for over a year and no problems.

J-King

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Yea I know it doesn't have to be modular but I really like the minimal cables. My current PSU is not modular and its a total mess even with it organized and zipped up. I like Corsairs warranty and figure by 7 years i'll already have upgraded a few times and might be due for a new PSU by then.

I'd also like to leave room for overclocking if I decide to go that route.

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores Limited Edition graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 550 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores Limited Edition graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 60 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The addition amperage needed will depend on the overclock you are trying to achieve. If you keep your CPU overclock below 4.5 GHz then you shouldn't need to add any extra.

The Corsair Professional Series HX650W (CMPSU-650HX), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 52 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores Limited Edition. It is also insufficient to safely power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores Limited Edition in 2-way SLI mode.

Solution

J-King

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Thanks ko888 for the very informative reply. That helps me make my decision. I don't plan on using SLI as the only game I play (SWTOR) is already maxed out with FPS with one card. I've done SLI in the past and wasn't very impressed for gaming. If I do OC its not by any extreme. The most i've ever done was 20% on the CPU. So I think that the HX650 would be a good choice for me figuring my system needs, my price range, quality(warranty) and preference for an affordable modular option.