Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

AMD gaming PC 500$ Mid range gaming

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 31, 2011 3:35:08 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: 500/550 (not counting taxes)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming. internet.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, HDD.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.ca/directcanada.ca/tigerdirect.ca

Country: canada

Parts Preferences: by amd and asrock (willing to not use asrock if theres a better overclocking board for better price range) I favor micro atx boards.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: 1600x900 to 1900x1200

Additional Comments: i would like the motherboard to have at least 4 pins for ram. any case will do, cheaper the better. I play many old pc games, but still would like to at least play skyrim on reasonable settings, maybe even high, or mid high. (I can also reuse an old case and power supply) The power supply is 530 watts and i've used it for my radeon 5770 for the past year) so builds with and without the psu and case are welcome.
December 31, 2011 3:53:04 PM

I don't know much about cheap/good hdds and am3+ mobos, but i suggest you base your system on phenom ii x4 955 and radeon hd 6770, 6850 if it can fit in your budget.
December 31, 2011 4:26:58 PM

deciding to reuse my case, power supply, cd/dvd drive, hdd etc. I have come up with this.

mobo:ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

GPU:MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HD96ZTWFGRBOX
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Memory:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Sits at 434$ canadian
Related resources
December 31, 2011 4:27:36 PM

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$109 AMD 960t 3ghz, runs cooler than a 955, and can unlock to 6 cores

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$60 ASrock, will unlock the 960t cores, overclocking, am3, can also crossfire later on. dont need am3+ because bulldoser is garbage

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$139 after rebate. AMD 6870 is the best bang for the buck right now. Also get 90+% efficiency when crossfiring

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$40 good solid case, comes with 2 fans

Ram:
$23. 4gb at ddr3 1600. Add another stick later if you need more ram and have 64x os

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$60 620w antec made by seasonic (both awesome brands) more power than you will need, even later on plus really reliable. You will need your own power cord though but you can steal that from an old computer

DVD Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$20


total: 452

Hurry though because a lot of these are on sale now, and may not last long. These prices also don't include tax and shipping. If you want you could upgrade the mobo to am3+ and also get a 6 core processor that doesn't require unlocking.
December 31, 2011 4:32:12 PM

the 6870 and 560 preform identically, but the 6870 can be had for 50 bones less (US).
December 31, 2011 4:33:30 PM

@That_Guy.

As much as I'd love those sales going on over in the USA, I can't get them in Canada sadly... And thanks for the GPU information. That'll save me money.

Best solution

December 31, 2011 4:46:09 PM
Share
December 31, 2011 4:48:09 PM

That_Guy88 said:
the 6870 and 560 preform identically, but the 6870 can be had for 50 bones less (US).

6870 walks all over a GTX 560 sans ti
December 31, 2011 4:50:19 PM



What is the significant difference between the black edition and the 'oem' edition of that processor?
December 31, 2011 4:50:25 PM

That_Guy88 said:
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$109 AMD 960t 3ghz, runs cooler than a 955, and can unlock to 6 cores

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$60 ASrock, will unlock the 960t cores, overclocking, am3, can also crossfire later on. dont need am3+ because bulldoser is garbage

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$139 after rebate. AMD 6870 is the best bang for the buck right now. Also get 90+% efficiency when crossfiring

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$40 good solid case, comes with 2 fans

Ram:
$23. 4gb at ddr3 1600. Add another stick later if you need more ram and have 64x os

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$60 620w antec made by seasonic (both awesome brands) more power than you will need, even later on plus really reliable. You will need your own power cord though but you can steal that from an old computer

DVD Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$20


total: 452

Hurry though because a lot of these are on sale now, and may not last long. These prices also don't include tax and shipping. If you want you could upgrade the mobo to am3+ and also get a 6 core processor that doesn't require unlocking.

He cant use a six core CPU the 955 is better for OP.
December 31, 2011 4:51:09 PM

kalydo said:
deciding to reuse my case, power supply, cd/dvd drive, hdd etc. I have come up with this.

mobo:ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

GPU:MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HD96ZTWFGRBOX
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Memory:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Sits at 434$ canadian

OP can't use a six core CPU 955 is better for him.
December 31, 2011 4:53:53 PM

kalydo said:
What is the significant difference between the black edition and the 'oem' edition of that processor?

You want the BE because it is higher Binned meaning basically it is of higher quality and it is super easy to Overclock even a complete noob can do it because it has an Unlocked Multiplier which is what makes the OCing simple and easy.
December 31, 2011 4:57:27 PM

The 960t is a quad core that can be unlocked to a 6 core. It is also cheaper than the 955 right now, runs cooler, And oC's just as well, plus is newer And has a better memory controller (it's thuban rather than deneb.) Plus the 6 core will help to future proof. No downsides to a 960t when compared to a 955.
December 31, 2011 4:59:40 PM

Headspin_69 said:
You want the BE because it is higher Binned meaning basically it is of higher quality and it is super easy to Overclock even a complete noob can do it because it has an Unlocked Multiplier which is what makes the OCing simple and easy.


Well I can't find the black edition anywheres online. Is it even still possible to buy? the one you listed there was the OEM edition. And I'm not sure if I'm missing something but the total build comes to 514$ (yours is 470). Also the GPU you listed there is a 6850 when I can get a 6870 for 2$ more, whats the difference in that?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
December 31, 2011 5:09:00 PM

kalydo said:
Well I can't find the black edition anywheres online. Is it even still possible to buy? the one you listed there was the OEM edition. And I'm not sure if I'm missing something but the total build comes to 514$ (yours is 470). Also the GPU you listed there is a 6850 when I can get a 6870 for 2$ more, whats the difference in that?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Ya just get the 960t then if there all sold out of 955 CPUs and the reasoning why I recommend the msi 6850 Cyclone in my build for you is because I run it and am pleased with it it is premium GPU best of the best highest binned parts and can overclock higher than any OEM 6870 and is dead silent even under max load and OverClocked to 1GHZ on the core plus it is the most efficient GPU rated with Very high acclaim and hiest PRICE/Performance by many many publications including Tom's Hardware and really it is the same power as 6870 plus more.
December 31, 2011 5:10:05 PM

the 960t is unlocked even though it isn't "black edition". The 6870 is about 10 to 20% faster than the 6850. I may have missed something im on my cell
December 31, 2011 5:13:19 PM

That_Guy88 said:
the 960t is unlocked even though it isn't "black edition". The 6870 is about 10 to 20% faster than the 6850. I may have missed something im on my cell

Generic 6870 is not faster or any better than the highest Binned msi 6850 Cyclone that OCs to over 1Ghz on the core the better card for a 6870 over the 6850 Cyclone would be the msi HAWK edition but that is Well over $200.
December 31, 2011 5:14:56 PM

Newegg.ca shipping is outrageous!
ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$89.99 Save: $10.00 $11.49 Shipping
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HD96ZTWFGRBOX
$129.99 $6.99 Shipping
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL
$41.49 $9.99 Shipping
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...


HIS IceQ X Turbo H685QNT1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Dirt3 game included, limited offer
$174.99 $11.49 Shipping
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Seagate Barracuda ST3250312AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $89.99 $10.74 Shipping
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

$579.65.

December 31, 2011 5:15:05 PM

Okay so, I have all my parts decided and picked out. The only difference Is the processor. I can't decide on the 960t or the 955. Surely the 960t is newer, but does that make it any better? That being said NCIX has the 955 in stock.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=47459

And I know the shipping is utterly outrageous, and not only that but us canadians have a 13% tax hit. So if I went with a 740$ intel i5 2500k build, I'd buy 940$ total with shipping and taxes. Reason why I'm switching to AMD.
December 31, 2011 5:16:48 PM

kalydo said:
Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: 500/550 (not counting taxes)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming. internet.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, HDD.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.ca/directcanada.ca/tigerdirect.ca

Country: canada

Parts Preferences: by amd and asrock (willing to not use asrock if theres a better overclocking board for better price range) I favor micro atx boards.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: 1600x900 to 1900x1200

Additional Comments: i would like the motherboard to have at least 4 pins for ram. any case will do, cheaper the better. I play many old pc games, but still would like to at least play skyrim on reasonable settings, maybe even high, or mid high. (I can also reuse an old case and power supply) The power supply is 530 watts and i've used it for my radeon 5770 for the past year) so builds with and without the psu and case are welcome.

This is why I am recommending you the Msi Cyclone Power Edition 6850 over just a run of the mill 6870 please look at all the benchmarks graphs on the link I provided. http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_r6850_cyclo...
December 31, 2011 5:17:23 PM

A lot of you guys are forgetting the Newegg.ca shipping which is about $10/item
December 31, 2011 5:18:51 PM

the 960t is definitly worth it. also if you go to new egg is is 109 (US), cheaper than the 955 (115 US) bc it is on sale right now. Like I said, it has the ability to unlock more cores, and over clocks the same as a 955, but runs cooler and has a better memory controller
a b 4 Gaming
December 31, 2011 5:19:13 PM

@Headspin_69: i don't think your recommended motherboard supports 125w tdp cpus. check your recommended motherbaord's cpu support list.
@That_Guy88: your motherboard supports only x16+x4 cfx - not really good proposition for good cfx performance. since OP isn't looking for cfx...that's okay.. i guess...
December 31, 2011 5:20:38 PM

the 16x 4x only loses like 5%. Thats what im running right now. so my cards are about 85% effecient
December 31, 2011 5:23:47 PM

That_Guy88 said:
the 16x 4x only loses like 5%. Thats what im running right now. so my cards are about 85% effecient

Are you really have luck with CFX 16x/4x because last time I tred that back in 09 I was appalled by the framerate latency.
December 31, 2011 5:24:59 PM

I heard most of the 960T's will unlock the extra two cores, but you will have to disable the unlocked core that fails prime95 testing. It ends up being a 5 core.

-Some lucky ones pass testing with all 6 cores.

December 31, 2011 5:25:23 PM

no, I dont have any major issues. I tink the 6 series really fixed a lot of problems. I have the occasional microstutter but everyone has that
a b 4 Gaming
December 31, 2011 5:26:07 PM

@kalydo: what are your max budget for cpu, motherboard, gfx card?
from your first post, it looks like you already own a 5770, right? for upgrading gfx cards, imo you should go two tiers up.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-ca...
alternatively, could you wait for the new radeon hd 7000 series cards? they'd run on pcie 2 and so far doesn't offer any performance improvement on pcie 3 in terms of gaming.
what are your current full specs? (including amps on the +12v rail of your psu.)
December 31, 2011 5:26:56 PM

kalydo said:
Okay so, I have all my parts decided and picked out. The only difference Is the processor. I can't decide on the 960t or the 955. Surely the 960t is newer, but does that make it any better? That being said NCIX has the 955 in stock.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=47459

And I know the shipping is utterly outrageous, and not only that but us canadians have a 13% tax hit. So if I went with a 740$ intel i5 2500k build, I'd buy 940$ total with shipping and taxes. Reason why I'm switching to AMD.

Phenom II x4 955 Deneb is still AMDs Best budget Gamer CPU and it can OC to 4GHZ more or less and that's when it becomes a real excellent all around value.
December 31, 2011 5:32:50 PM

Headspin_69 said:
Are you really have luck with CFX 16x/4x because last time I tred that back in 09 I was appalled by the framerate latency.


That_Guy88 said:
no, I dont have any major issues. I tink the 6 series really fixed a lot of problems. I have the occasional microstutter but everyone has that

That would mean that even at 16x/4x AMDs CFX is -+ as efficient as Nvidias SLI in a proper 8x/8x LOL I am lovin AMD more every day the gaming/entertainment value AMD represents just keeps getting better and better LOL.
a b 4 Gaming
December 31, 2011 5:34:04 PM

cooler master hyper 212+
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...
the stock cooler that comes with b.e. cpus should allow for decent oc... but i've heard that they get really loud and rather hot on load.
some motherboards:
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
all with $12-13 shipping.
look up the review of your chosen motherboard. recommendations are based on price.
December 31, 2011 5:36:06 PM

@de5_roy
Max budget would be 450$ exactly (need some leftover money for a after market cooler)
I could wait for the 7000 series, as I've said, I play rather old games dating the 90s, and the most recent game I play is playable on this machine perfectly fine. (new vegas)

Current specs:
Case; unknown model NZXT
AMD Phenom II x3 705e (can be unlocked but when doing so adobe flash freezes the PC)
some generic 2 gig ram.
generic lg dvd 16x burner
gigabyte m68m s2p motherboard
powercooler radeon 5770
PSU: 530 watt, +12v1 +12v2 -12v, is that what you wanted?
December 31, 2011 5:40:14 PM

kalydo said:
@de5_roy
Max budget would be 450$ exactly (need some leftover money for a after market cooler)
I could wait for the 7000 series, as I've said, I play rather old games dating the 90s, and the most recent game I play is playable on this machine perfectly fine. (new vegas)

Current specs:
Case; unknown model NZXT
AMD Phenom II x3 705e (can be unlocked but when doing so adobe flash freezes the PC)
some generic 2 gig ram.
generic lg dvd 16x burner
gigabyte m68m s2p motherboard
powercooler radeon 5770
PSU: 530 watt, +12v1 +12v2 -12v, is that what you wanted?

Hey bro lets support Canada we are Canadians I recommend for at leased the better shipping rates redoing your build exclusive from NCIX and I run the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ on my Overclocked Phenom II x4 B55 3.7ghz and it is ultra great temps and only cost $30.
December 31, 2011 5:48:35 PM

This is what I'm decided on so far..

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core Processor 3.2GHZ AM3 8MB Cache 125W Retail Box
http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=47459&vpn=HDZ955FBGMBOX&ma...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

MSI R6850 Cyclone PE/OC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
December 31, 2011 5:50:58 PM

kalydo said:
deciding to reuse my case, power supply, cd/dvd drive, hdd etc. I have come up with this.

mobo:ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

GPU:MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HD96ZTWFGRBOX
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Memory:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Sits at 434$ canadian


why has no one shoved a 6950 into his build? his psu is big enough if its of good quality and he would still have room for a 60 dollar psu.

shove this in and all problems solved.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
a b 4 Gaming
December 31, 2011 5:53:24 PM

ph ii x3 710 (little higher clock than 705e) vs 955 at stock speed.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/84?vs=88
imo, your current build looks pretty okay for now. i'd suggest oc your current cpu, hold out for a few months and see how ivb turns out.
meanwhile save up some money and get a system similar to this month's $600 gaming build:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-overclock-p...
value compared to other sbm builds:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-fx-6100-ove...
you could look at previous months' builds, iirc one with core i3 and another with phenom ii x4 955 b.e.
December 31, 2011 5:53:39 PM

kalydo said:
This is what I'm decided on so far..

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core Processor 3.2GHZ AM3 8MB Cache 125W Retail Box
http://ncix.ca/products/?sku=47459&vpn=HDZ955FBGMBOX&ma...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

MSI R6850 Cyclone PE/OC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

All them parts are ultra premium on a budget and good call with the ram and you will be happy with that card because when you OC it to the max it bangs with the big dawgs that cost allot more PEACE and have fun.
December 31, 2011 5:55:10 PM

looks like you will have a pretty solid build. What made you decide on the 6850 over the 6870 and the 955 over the 960t if you dont mind my asking?
December 31, 2011 5:55:58 PM

cbrunnem said:
why has no one shoved a 6950 into his build? his psu is big enough if its of good quality and he would still have room for a 60 dollar psu.

shove this in and all problems solved.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Case the 6850 I recommend is allot cheaper than a 6950 and performs about the same furthermore the Radeon 69xx series sucks and Nvidia is over priced here is a link. http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_r6850_cyclo...
December 31, 2011 6:02:33 PM

@de5_roy
I would overclock my build but my motherboard isn't the best, everytime I try overclocking it, even at 201 voltage it doesn't boot. I've asked for tips on many overclocking forums and all have said that it's not a good board for overclocking.

@that_guy
Actually, I chose the 955 because a lot of AMD builds are centered around it, and it seems like a rather popular choice. I can't seem to find any builds concerning the 960t. Although I'm not entirely set on the parts I've chosen. I may drop the asus board for the previous Asrock one. As the one I've chosen gets me to 600$ and I can't afford to go over 550. I've chosen the 6850 because of the provided benchmarks above.

Edit; Some sort of error in neweggs service, it had the board listed at 169$. So i am indeed using the asus board.

December 31, 2011 6:05:09 PM

cbrunnem said:
ill let facts talk for me
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/291?vs=293
cant get anymore stronger facts then that site.

The card on anadtech is a generic 6850 whereas the 6850 cyclone is a cherry pick highest binned and overclocked 6850 that performs like a 6950.
December 31, 2011 6:08:13 PM

kalydo said:
@de5_roy
I would overclock my build but my motherboard isn't the best, everytime I try overclocking it, even at 201 voltage it doesn't boot. I've asked for tips on many overclocking forums and all have said that it's not a good board for overclocking.

@that_guy
Actually, I choose the 955 because a lot of AMD builds are centered around it, and it seems like a rather popular choice. I can't seem to find any builds concerning the 960t. Although I'm not entirely set on the parts I've chosen. I may drop the gigabyte board for the previous Asrock one. As the one I've chosen gets me to 600$ and I can't afford to go over 550. I've chosen the 6850 because of the provided benchmarks above.

Decide to drop the gigabyte motherboard because it sets my build all the way up into the 600$ range, and the asrock one keeps me at 500$.

Don't by into the marketing Bull what you have is the best you can get but ya your board could be swapped for something better for sure but you told me you needed a Micro ATX board.MSI have great boards that are auto overclocking it what I run and it works great.
December 31, 2011 6:08:55 PM

Headspin_69 said:
The card on anadtech is a generic 6850 whereas the 6850 cyclone is a cherry pick highest binned and overclocked 6850 that performs like a 6950.


you can easily overclock a 6950 to 900mhz or higher esentially bringing boths cards back to stock. in no condition will a 6850 be on the same level of a 6950. you just can say that.
December 31, 2011 6:14:14 PM

My final decision: Any last recommendations?

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core Processor 3.2GHZ AM3 8MB Cache 125W Retail Box

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

MSI R6850 Cyclone PE/OC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+
December 31, 2011 6:16:22 PM

cbrunnem said:
you can easily overclock a 6950 to 900mhz or higher esentially bringing boths cards back to stock. in no condition will a 6850 be on the same level of a 6950. you just can say that.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_r6850_cyclo... and the and the Cheapest 6950 that performs close to MSI Cyclone 6850 is at leased $75 more and that's why it is garbage.
December 31, 2011 6:16:29 PM

kalydo said:
My final decision: Any last recommendations?

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core Processor 3.2GHZ AM3 8MB Cache 125W Retail Box

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

MSI R6850 Cyclone PE/OC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+


yeah get a 6950 if you can fit it in. you will see better fps especially at high resolutions like you will be playing at.
December 31, 2011 6:17:24 PM

When I was building my rig I thought I was going to get a 955 but the day before i ordered the 960t became available, so after a little research I went with it. You should read the reveiws on newegg, I dont think that there is a single negative reveiw about it. The 955 is without a doubt more popular, but they are no longer being produced.

The listed benchmark doesnt seem right... http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/290?vs=291

lists multiple games comparing the 6850 and 6870.
December 31, 2011 6:19:25 PM

kalydo said:
My final decision: Any last recommendations?

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core Processor 3.2GHZ AM3 8MB Cache 125W Retail Box

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

MSI R6850 Cyclone PE/OC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

So solid budget build you have but I have to ask do you want an Micro board because of the case you already own because I can get you a far better ATX board that overclocks better for less money.
!