Upgrading Need advice 2700K VS New Hex Core i7-3820

mrzedx

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hey guys I need some help im going for an upgrade soon I currently have a E6750 core 2 duo and im really due for an upgrade as my computer is really starting to lag and show its age.

My budget is around $500 for a new m/b cpu + aftermarket cooler - nothing to flashy just hate the intel ones with a passion, and some DDR3 - top of the line preffered 8gb minimum ill keep upgrading it later..

so which cpu shall i go for the new 3820 or the 2700K although the M/b is 2011 pins and the mb's are much pricier is it really worth it, are the new higher range cpus going to be coming out in 2011 pins?

anyways ill keep it short and sweet. ive been upgrading my 6750 parts for a few months slowly, case, gpu (6950 2gb asus.) 875W thermaltake psu.

anyways my needs arent that heavy i dont really play many games yet i just want to be able to play bf3 or mw3 from time to time, just basic multi tasking i might be setting up a tripple monitor setup also. yet i want the peace of mind that if i upgrade now i wont have to change my m/b for a faster cpu later, etc. so basically just looking for general speed upgrade

also had DDR3 2100 in mind.

Thanks guys.

Solution

mrzedx

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

okay fair enough, when i read some advertising it had said hex core. anyways, how long exactly could i be waiting for the new CPU's to be coming out, the 3820 and 2700K are maxing out my budgets allready not leaving much room for ram and motherboards.

Breakdown of maximum costs in australian dollars. The 3820 is $300 allready.

$350 CPU

$150~ M/B

$150 DDR3 Ram - temporart till i get some more cash or sell my old rig.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

A few things worth considering. Your need for a triple monitor setup, depending on how many graphic cards you get) might favor a Socket 2011 platform due to its inclusion of more PCIe slots (again depending on what you'll be adding to your rig).

Since you're not going to be gaming much it really depends on if you want/need an six/eight core CPU later down the road as the Socket 1155 platform is not likely to get those (the last Intel roadmap I saw does not specify: link).

Many people get the Core i7 3820 as a stepping stone to more 6/8 core CPUs on the LGA 2011 platform (as prices come down when new models are introduced but I am not sure how realistic the price going down is though).

Peace of mind would be a Socket 2011 platform imo.

Solution

mrzedx

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

I dont exactly have a need for a tripple monitor setup is more of a want, lol i want to wall mount my current tv 26" screen and have a tripple monitor setup so i can multi-task with little things like a movie/music on one screen and word processing on the other and the third one just for displaying the time or somthing useless lol, i know it sounds stupid but its more on the basis of a want not a need. I'm more than happy to play games on a single screen.

anyways, I currently have a Asus 6950 which i can supposedly flash to a 6970 2GB which i may consider cross-firing or just upgrading if need be. but for now its just simple stuff. will this gpu alone run 3 monitors at once for simple processes as listed above?

exactly what i was thinking, i dont want to have to downgrade, eg. the 1136 and 1156 pin CPU's that came out have all dissapeared, i want something i can buy a low-mid range cpu of the newer technology because im afraid of say DDR4 coming out or 2599 pin cpu's coming out which will make my new build useless and i will basically have to change 3 things if i just want one changed do you know how i feel? lol.. anyways long story short ill wait till the 3550 or 3570 ivybridge CPU's come out to help make my decision but i will have to up my budget for a more expensive M/B 2011 start at $230 im guessing.

i dont exactly need the newest chipset i just want the peace of mind. i can still be on the same platform and upgrade when i feel it is necessary.