Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gigabyte UD3H vs. Gigabyte UD5H

Last response: in Motherboards
February 18, 2013 3:24:01 PM

I recently had to replace my MoBo so I decided to move up from my Gigabyte Z77 UD3H to a Gigabyte Z77 UD5H. The UD5H is 40$ more at 175.99 and it has 4 SATAIII ports instead of 2 and it also has more USB 3.0 ports. 2 of the SATAIII ports are controlled with a Marvel controller whereas on the UD3H they are controlled by the MoBo itself. Do you think the Marvel controller will improve my SSD's or HDD's speed at all? Why would you use the Marvel controller?

Another difference between the UD3H and UD5H is that the UD5H has 3 nice sized heatsinks which are all connected by a heat pipe while the UD3H only has one little heatsink. My most important question is this, will this help at all with my 3570k's temperatures? You would think that it would help. Or is it just for cooling the MoBo's capacitors and won't help with CPU temps at all?

My third question is about overclocking in general. Will the UD5H be better at overclocking? Allowing for lower voltages, which in turn would allow for lower temps and a higher overclock? Will it be more efficient power wise?

Does the UD5H have any overclocking or temperature advantages, OR do you mainly pay that extra 40$ for the 2 extra SATAIII ports and the extra USB 3.0 ports?

Any and all info will be appreciated...

a c 444 V Motherboard
February 18, 2013 5:09:19 PM

I think just go for the UD3H, because from the review I see they are the almost same in the game performance, even in some games UD3H is better than UD5H. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6108/gigabyte-gaz77xud5h-...

For the SSD, don't use the marvel SATAIII ports, because the 3rd party SATA controller don't match the intel one. You can use marvel for the HDD or DVD. You use the intel SATAIII for SSD then you will get better performance from the SSD.
m
l
February 18, 2013 7:06:10 PM

Really? I thought for sure they would have put that Marvell controller in there specifically for your OS and Data drives. That's funny they would do that if it lacked the performance that even the intel could surpass.

What about temps? Are temps any better? Let me check out that review.
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2013 7:17:58 PM

cin19 said:
I think just go for the UD3H, because from the review I see they are the almost same in the game performance, even in some games UD3H is better than UD5H. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6108/gigabyte-gaz77xud5h-...

For the SSD, don't use the marvel SATAIII ports, because the 3rd party SATA controller don't match the intel one. You can use marvel for the HDD or DVD. You use the intel SATAIII for SSD then you will get better performance from the SSD.

Ok I see that the UD5H is kind of for 3 way SLI and for that it performs at the top. But since I kind of already bought the UD5H and had it sent to the place that's replacing my MoBo, I'm looking for some positives. Does the UD5H help at all with the cooling of the CPU being that it has three rather large heat sinks with a heat pipe connecting them and the UD3H only has one small heat sink? I think this is mainly for the MoBo's capacitors but maybe it'll help with cooling the CPU? I know with different MoBo's there are differences in the cooling and I'm hoping I get a little better cooling. At least 1 or 2c. Do you think it'll help my overclock or be more efficient and require a little less voltage Or is the only differences simply the 2 extra SATAIII ports and the extra USB 3.0 ports? I'm hoping that's not the case, otherwise I don't see why anyone would go for the 5H over the 3H.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2013 7:36:58 PM

Hello... the on-board "IE-1394" firewire is also an extra with the "5" models...useful for home studio musicians.
m
l

Best solution

a c 444 V Motherboard
February 18, 2013 7:47:55 PM

If you want to OC your CPU, for example i5-3570K to max like 4.8 or 5.0 GHz, then yes UD5H is the better one. If you do OC to 4GHz, I think they will be same, because I don't use both. From what I see the features are most same like what you said.

Since you got the UD5H so just keep it. The cooling is also depond on the airflow in your case too. And what cpu cooler do you have?

Enjoy it.
February 18, 2013 8:08:18 PM

cin19 said:
If you want to OC your CPU, for example i5-3570K to max like 4.8 or 5.0 GHz, then yes UD5H is the better one. If you do OC to 4GHz, I think they will be same, because I don't use both. From what I see the features are most same like what you said.

Since you got the UD5H so just keep it. The cooling is also depond on the airflow in your case too. And what cpu cooler do you have?

Enjoy it.

I have the Scythe Ninja 3 CPU cooler w/Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and the Antec 902 v3 case and currently I am trying to achieve a higher overclock. I'm at 4.7Ghz right now with average temps of 79c in Prime95. So my cooler and case are doing very well compared to others I see using the Hyper212 Evo and such. 4.7Ghz does take a large amount of voltage right now. 1.385 Vcore.

Do you think once I get my desktop back and it has the UD5H instead of the UD3H the temps will be a little lower and maybe it'll need a little less voltage?

I'm hoping to be able to achieve 4.8Ghz while having the same temps and voltages and maybe even go a little higher. Is this a fair expectation?

If you need any more specs look below in my SIG...
m
l
a c 444 V Motherboard
February 18, 2013 8:28:57 PM

In fact your cooler is better than the Hyper212 Evo, IMO you don't need OC to 4.7/4.8 Ghz for the game, as long as your oc to 4Ghz is more than enough.
m
l
February 18, 2013 8:39:40 PM

cin19 said:
In fact your cooler is better than the Hyper212 Evo, IMO you don't need OC to 4.7/4.8 Ghz for the game, as long as your oc to 4Ghz is more than enough.

Yeah I know 4.0Ghz is more than enough but I like to push things a bit to get maximun performance. Thanks for all your answers and your time you took looking up that article. I appreciate it. I believe I got my answer. Which is YES the UD5H will help with overclocking. I'll mark you as my best answer.
m
l
February 18, 2013 9:06:20 PM

Best answer selected by ericjohn004.
m
l
!