Sign in with
Your question

Skyrim - Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2011 1:04:20 AM

FYI, I am not too savvy with computers.

I just wanted to know if my computer will run Skyrim or if I should get it on the ps3/360.

My setup is as follows

i5 650 dell 3.2 gh
8G ram
geforce gt 220 1g video card
1t space.
300 watts.

I would like to get it on the pc if it can run it. If you think I can run this at high settings please let me know. If not, please let me know what I need to upgrade and if it's worth it to do so or just buy it on the 360/ps3. Also, I only have a 720p hd tv now so Please keep that in mind in your decision.

Finally, what do the 360/ps3 graphics equate to in pc settings, i.e. medium/high/max settings?

Thank you very much in advance.

More about : skyrim graphics card

a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 1:08:37 AM

You'll probably want a better power supply first off. The recommended requirements for "high" on a PC are just a GTX 260 or HD 4890 (several generations old cards), so the results aren't too extreme for ultra settings. A GTX 560 or HD 6870 on up would be fine.

The consoles are usually thought of as "medium" settings if they were a PC.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 1:16:21 AM

You should get it for xbox 360/ps3 if you don't want to spend any money on gpu upgrade, and a corresponding psu upgrade.

gtx 560 would probably destroy skyrim.
m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2011 1:20:06 AM

So if I get a gtx 560 would I be able to get it to max?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 1:22:51 AM

Yes, recommend is a gtx 260, gtx 560 is a large upgrade over that card. You should easily pull ultra settings especially considering that you game at 720.

You will also need a decent psu, recommended is 500 watts.

Black friday is quite near so if you have patience you could most likely get all of this for 200-300 us dollars, depending upon what specific gpu you buy.
m
l
November 3, 2011 1:29:53 AM

No body is mentioning the 560 Ti ? That should last you a while, even at 1080p
m
l
November 3, 2011 1:36:37 AM

Would the GeForce GT 520 2GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card be an upgrade for me and would it work well with skyrim... it's on sale at bestbuy for $99.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 1:38:26 AM

I don't think he needs a TI, You could snag a regular gigabyte gtx 560 oc edition for 180. He could game easy with a gtx 460 on his/her current monitor resolution.

If you want to be more future proof then you could go with a TI, or a hd 6950. I just don't think you need to spend that much cash.

Also keep in mind that new gpus are just around the corner, so even a regular gtx 460 or a gtx 560 should hold you over quite well for the time being.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 1:42:43 AM

you dont need the extra 1gb for your monitor resolution the gt 520, is not that great of a card for gaming. Sure it is a slight upgrade over your gt 220. It is not worth the 100 dollars that you could use to spend and purchase a gtx 460, gtx 560.

The gtx 550 might be a better alternative for you as it is an affordable card (about 120-140) and is better than the gt 520. It is not better than the gtx 460 and the gtx 560.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 1:47:17 AM

certo said:
Would the GeForce GT 520 2GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card be an upgrade for me and would it work well with skyrim... it's on sale at bestbuy for $99.

Best Buy is useless for any PC hardware, seriously don't buy it there. It would be nice to know what your are looking to spend total on an upgrade, meaning power supply + graphics card.
m
l
November 3, 2011 1:48:10 AM

In case I confused some of you, my tv, which is connected to my 360/ps3, is 720p.

Sorry for all the questions, it's just that I've been waiting for Skyrim for a while and I want the best experience I can get (and afford).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 1:48:18 AM

The best thing for you to do is probably purchase the game for console (because I assume you will want to play skyrim as soon as it is out).

then if you still have a large interest in the game, purchase a new gpu/psu during the holidays and then pick up the game of the year edition of skyrim, download mods, so forth and so on.

If you do this your out 60 bucks now, not 200-300.

That 300 dollars later will stretch further. It also gives you time to incrementally upgrade your rig, when there are great deals to be had.

+1 to what is your total budget.
m
l
November 3, 2011 1:53:01 AM

I think $200 - 250 is my comfort zone, unless it will be a big difference to go up to $300.
m
l
November 3, 2011 2:02:08 AM

Im in this same boat as well- I really am looking at the GTX 560 Ti because its in my price range but im not sure if its really WORTH upgradeing... I really Need DX11 so im thinking it is and ill go with EVGA so i can get a step-up program just in-case i want to get in on the GTX 600 series
Here are my sepcs
EVGA GTX 280 (2009)
AMD phenom II x4 965
8gig Gskill Sniper ram ddr3
1TB WD
1000w Coolermaster
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 2:02:59 AM

GTX 460 Fermi
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Benches for the card
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_460_HAWK/16....

the current bench (you can view others) is on metro 2033, very gpu demanding game. Skyrim won't even come close to being this demanding.

Good fps for me is about 45+ 25-30 is ok.

for the psu, any 500 watt reputable psu companies like corsair, seasonic, antec are good places to start. (psu should cost you roughly 50-70, depending upon sales and rebates)
m
l
November 3, 2011 2:04:26 AM

Just for a piece of info for you certo, i would upgrade to at least a 600w or so something not too expensive and save the money and go with a GTX 550Ti, i got one of those for my friend. It has played everything hes thrown at it easily... but if your worried about power i'd go with a 460, 560 or even a 560 Ti- IF your not worried about waiting for the 600 series and want to play Skyrim now... Unfortunately im kind of in the same boat as you are bud hehe...
m
l
November 3, 2011 2:07:39 AM

Thank you all.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 2:11:35 AM

Keep in mind that there will be deals for gpus, and psu and other pc components very very soon.

If you are patient you can find that exact gtx 460 for 100.00 (rembered this from ncix)

Speaking of NCIX, the card is cheaper from them

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=55409&vpn=N460GTX%20HA...

NCIX is a reputable dealer, they moved from Canada.

I have puchased I5 2500k from them, A70 cpu cooler, DVD drive, various component cables without problems. Just started using them.

They have been having alot of deals recently

Edit- Moving from Canada does not necessitate reputability, Also do a little research before taking our advice as gold.
m
l
November 3, 2011 2:25:30 AM

With my current set up, as listed in my original post, will it run better on my pc or a ps3/360?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 2:37:15 AM

360/ps3. Your gpu is really holding your system back.
m
l
November 3, 2011 3:07:00 AM

Ok, so i think i've decided to buy the gtx 560 with the 500w supply. But, will my dual (rather than a quad) processor keep me down? Because my thinking is -- if im going to spend $300-350 and the dual processor is going to keep me anchored, well i might just go buy a new damn computer and use this one for work...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 3:09:05 AM

For Skyrim I don't believe a dual core will be a problem, but don't quote me on that.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 3:28:23 AM

That is a good dual core cpu, and should do just fine running skyrim.

After the gtx 560 upgrade, then your bottleneck of the system will be leaning more towards the cpu.

This bottleneck will become more apparent Later on when more and more games become optimized and utilize 4 cores you probably will have to upgrade again.

It is the life of a PC gamer.

It is unfortunate that you have 1156 socket mobo, as that socket is being fazed out. However there are quad core upgrades for that socket, specifically the i5-760 for example.

edit-Upgraded mobo (to 1155 socket) Plus new high end cpu, would cost you roughly 300.00-400.00, this is JFYI. I am not implying that this upgrade is necessary for smooth skyrim playing.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 3:47:57 AM

I just noticed you have a dell case. you will have to make sure that the GPU will fit in your particular case (it probably will).

To do this:
1. Turn the PC off and unplug the psu from the pc.
2. Open up the case.
3. get tape measure or a ruler.
4. ....use the tape measure or ruler to mesure the distance from the back of the case to the front of the HDD enclosure.

Case ventilation might be an issue as well.
m
l
November 4, 2011 5:10:39 PM

So, after all of your kind responses, I went to Fry's yesterday to purchase the gtx 560 ti and a new power supply to support the card. However, the person helping me said that with a dual core, that even if I purchased the new card I would still have a bottleneck because it's not a quad core, as recommended for the game. He also said that he did not believe I would be able to run it at high settings, but maybe medium. Well, I did not want to spend $350 only to get it at medium settings and so I left without buying the card (and I am more confused and frustrated)....

Was this guy right or would the card and power supply allow me to get it to high settings or even max it out? Thank you very much in advance.

m
l
November 4, 2011 5:58:33 PM

Anyone?
m
l
November 4, 2011 6:15:28 PM

"The recommended specs let you play on High, not on Ultra," he said. "You'll want a beefier rig for that." He later said that Bethesda doesn't plan on releasing a spec list for the "Ultra" setting.

To meet the recommended PC specification, you'll need the following:

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
4 GB System RAM
6 GB free HDD space
DirectX 9 compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

And here's the minimum requirements to get the game up and running:

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or equivalent processor
2 GB System RAM
6 GB free HDD Space
Direct X 9 compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

So based on your specs I would say you can play it fine on medium and even if you upgrade your videocard you may still have your CPU hold you back on high.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 3:03:01 AM

It is tough to say for sure how ones system will run without the game actually being out.

Yet, I'm confident that your cpu is more than capable of running skyrim at higher than high details.

Take for example these benches of battlefield 3, which recommended system requires quad cores.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...

Performance is not hindered by a dual core CPU (the i3s, and the I7 with only 2 cores enabled). Even though recommend system requirements are quad cores the game runs fine with a dual. It is important to note that BF3 is a GPU intensive game, unlike Skyrim.

Another example, for the game Witcher 2, another quad core recommended game.

http://benchmark3d.com/the-witcher-2-benchmark/2

Same conclusion here. The games recommends quads but runs perfectly fine with dual cores.

I still think you should be fine with the gpu upgrade, and you will see great performance increases with a new gpu, and should be able to run skyrim at high or better.

I really don't think skyrim will be too demanding of a game for both the cpu and the gpu. I am trying my best to assure you, but keep in mind that this of course is educated speculation.

If you really wanted to be sure, wait until the game releases and then benches will be released. You said you were going to make the purchase from a local store, so the purchase and installation of the card is just a trip to the store and a 30 minute install. This is the safest course of action.
m
l
!