my specs are as follows

CPU - i5 Core 2500k
GPU - Geforce GTX 570 Superclocked
PSU - Thermaltake Black Widow 850W
MOBO - MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX UEFI BIOS
RAM - G. Skill Ripjaw 8GB
CPU Cooler - Thermaltake Frio
Case - Cooler Master HAF 912

Basically i just want to know if these components are all compatible, efficient, and worth the money...
will the case fit everything and will it be an easy install?...is anything overkill atm?
all together with an HDD and an Optical Drive im spending $1200...how does this build sound?
im also planning on getting an identical GPU in the future...but until then how long will a single superclocked 570 last me? im playing on 1080

I don't think the PSU will be able to handle 2x superclocked 570.

If you want a PSU that will, consider changing it to XFX instead.

Also, I think you should look up crucial's online RAM tool along with that motherboard model number and it will tell you some RAM made by themselves that is guaranteed to work with that board.

It seems to be a trend in the last few weeks that every person coming in here with problems that trace back to RAM is also using GSkill RAM.

Otherwise, most of the stuff should be OK.

The case is kinda small. It gets used a lot because of the good price, but many seem to be opting for the 922 or 932 to get more space and (imho) better cable management.

My case pushes the limit on being a mid tower case rather than a full tower and it is easy to keep all the cables out of the way of everything. I had a much smaller Cooler Master 343 in the past and it was so tiny that it was nigh impossible to manage cables well.

That extra space is really nice to have I must say, even if 90% of it is wasted.

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
You shouldn't have any problems with that build. The 570 will last you a good 2 years or so if you like turning up graphics settings.

If you want a cheaper motherboard that still supports SLI and overclocking take a look at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

If you don't mind a CPU heatsink that will make your CPU run a couple degrees warmer, you could get a Hyper 212 Evo.

Also, how set are you on getting the HAF 912 case?

glmbilt69f

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
to fb39ca4

thanks for reassuring me about the 570 is the psu powerful enough to handle future sli?

the motherboard im getting is actually the same price due to sales and rebates so im fine with that

im not too set on the case... i was looking at an antec 300 and a haf 922 but while the first is cheap and aesthetically pleasing, it seems too small, and the second seems spacious but too flashy and i wonder if its worth the extra 40 bucks too you have any recommendations...

glmbilt69f

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

is the xfx reliable and compatible with my other components and what makes it more efficient its 20 bucks cheaper aswell? im skeptical...

also, i was looking at the haf 922 but i feel it just looks too flashy and its 40 bucks extra do u have other recommendations? is it worth the price tag over my current case?

XFX is pretty much compatible with everything and its hard to overpower it. Seasonic is the OEM for XFX PSUs and it is the best OEM out of all of them.

It has a cleaner power delivery than almost all the other non-Seasonic PSUs too.

Cooler Master is not a respected name in PSUs. They know cases like the back of their hand and they do well with processor heat sinks, but they aren't well known for good PSUs.

Most of the time if people say they are considering a Cooler Master PSU for their new system, people on Tom's Hardware try to talk them out of it.

An 850 watter will handle two OC'd 570's but that's not one I would use. One it's no great shakes....two it's inordinately expensive. This 850 watter gets a 9.5 jonnyguru performance rating and is $90

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207011

Also newegg only has open boxes of that MoBo at $150....this one is also $150 and a step up and not an open box

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131771

And ya can save another $25 in this combo ....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.792792

And Id take the Vengeance in lieu of the Ripjaws

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

With the $40 PSU and $25 HD savings, invest in a more modern, bigger case....... the 912 doesn't have any USB 3 ports.

$115 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129097
$130 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006644&isNodeId=1&Description=500R&x=0&y=0

Another thing ya might wanna consider.......the 570 costing ya $330 or so..... In Guru3D's Game test suite, that equates to about 63 cents per frame with the single cards 526 fps in the test suite ..... The factory OC'd 560 Ti's ($215) cost just 43 cents per frame at 495 fps in the test suite.....so the cost per frame is almost 50% higher with the 570. In SLI, the 560's get 862 fps (50 cents per frame) compared to just 873 for the 570's (76 cents per frame) in SLI.

Yes, the 570's can be OC'd too but not tot he extent of the 560 Ti's which have been known to reach over 30% over reference speeds.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=1201&page=17

The 560 wud put $115 back in ya pocket, or another way to look at it ..... just $100 form a 2nd one.....Two 900 MHz 560 Ti's will give ya 40% more fps than a single 580 for $70 less.

If ya buy a 570, make sure it's not a reference design but one with an 8 phase VRM.

http://www.overclock.net/t/929152/have-you-killed-a-570-no-recent-deaths-buy-some-570s/550

glmbilt69f

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

and cases?

XFX is more reliable, yes. It's got a better reputation, anyway.
Choose your case by stylistic preference. Trawl Newegg and pick whatever catches your eye and has at least two fans, and then check here. Most cases over $60, and many under as well, will work perfectly well. In most cases, you're just paying for the looks.

glmbilt69f

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

wow thanx a lot for the input it was very thorough and informative...i am gunna go with the corsair vengeance ram and the xfx psu

as far as the mobo...mine is $129 its on sale and i wouldnt b saving with the combo either since my 1tb hdd is $100 after sales and rebates... together thats $100 bucks less then the combo

i still dont really understand gpus it seems...i was originally leaning towards the 580 and then purchasing a second when i needed it, but someone recommended the 570 and purchasing a second when i need it, now your telling me to downgrade to 2 560s...can u elaborate a bit more...i dont just want the cheapest thing i want to b able to play games like bf3 and c2 on high at 1080 i also wanna b prepared for future games...

1 last thing id really like your opinions on cheaper cases....i definitely dont wanna go over $100 but i do want it to b efficient and not too flashy...any ideas?

GPUs are GPUs.

I personally favor 1x larger GPUs and a micro board over 2x smaller GPUs on a larger board, but that is just my style.

The 2x smaller ones will likely get more FPS for the same total cost, but it does limit future potential a lot.

You pay a lot for that additional FPS, though, and it isn't always apparent when you are doing it.

Anyway, 2x 580s will beat 2x 570s and that will beat 2x 560 TIs, and so on.

Two 560 TIs will beat 1x 570, and maybe 1x 580, but there is nowhere to go from there.

Once you spend all the money on 2x 560 TIs you better hope you don't need more video cards because then you are looking at an additional 2x 580s and trashing the 560 TIs.

Anyway, it doesn't hugely matter. Like I said earlier I favor 1x big one instead of 2x small ones so the 1x 580 would have my vote.

glmbilt69f

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

thanx again raiddinn thats exactly what kind of explanation i needed...im probably gunna stick with 1 superclocked 570 and upgrade to a second in a year or so..if i go higher im gunna need more wattage and mayb a bigger case...which btw is still a problem

ive been reading reviews that the wires that come with the HAF 922 are too short...this is a major turn off for me because i am a first time builder...
also the Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel ATX Mid-Tower looks awesome but is double the price of what i was looking for...would u recommend this case in terms of value, simplicity and efficiency? btw it pushes the price from $1050 to $1150

It usually isn't the cables in the case that are too small, I think.

It is probably more the PSU cables that can't reach the peripherals with a large case.

That being said, XFX PSUs have pretty long cables, unlike a lot of cheapy PSUs.

My XFX 650 cables reach across my Lian Li case even though it is quite large. I am surprised it isn't considered a full tower.

You could always just get an Antec Three Hundred case. That is quite good and pretty cheap too.

I wouldn't recommend the 400/500 cases from Corsair, I heard that sometimes people have problems installing the PSUs in them and some other problems. Many probably use it fine, but I stay away when I hear a few complaints. There are too many cases that get none.