Sign in with
Your question

Belkin reduced my security and You Tube slowed down

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 20, 2011 4:04:02 AM

Hello,
recently I was experiencing communicating with the WIFI I called Belkin and they changed some identity and said they lowering the security. Now I notice a slow down in my You tube viewing it buffers constantly
a b 8 Security
April 20, 2011 9:59:24 AM

If they lowered your security to WEP level, someone else may be sharing your bandwidth without your knowledge and that would slow the connection. Is your wireless adapter a Belkin? Did they make that change because it couldn't "see" a network with stronger security?

m
l
April 21, 2011 11:22:14 AM

I am a novice at computers. Yes now I am set at WEP. I have not protected my connection , other networks in my area have a lock on them mine is without one. I dont even know how to install a protection a password. You may be right that someone is using my connection.
m
l
Related resources
April 21, 2011 11:32:12 AM

owaisesaadat said:
I am a novice at computers. Yes now I am set at WEP. I have not protected my connection , other networks in my area have a lock on them mine is without one. I dont even know how to install a protection a password. You may be right that someone is using my connection.

You are being controversial here. Did you say you have WEP and not protected your connection?? Either way you are insecure. WEP is a form of protection which is kinda outdated. So you need to go to your router settings and enable WPA or WPA2 if available. If not get a newer router soon..
m
l
a b 8 Security
April 21, 2011 1:06:44 PM

Go Start then Run in XP - Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7, then type in the following, including all the spaces:-

cmd /k ipconfig /all

then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the Default Gateway icon - something like 192.168.0.1.

Type exit to close the black form.

Open Internet Explorer and enter that code into the URL address bar as though it was a website. You're then at the login page to the router's settings utility and admin will usually be the login with either admin or password as the password.

If you're in, seek out Wireless and then Security and take a note of the key. Sometimes it may be a passphrase, some a simple set of letters and others a hexadecimal code. You also may as well note which level of security it is - WEP, WPA or WPA/PSK 2 and then either AES or TKIP. Your computer will already know this but it's handy information to store. Note also that hexadecimal only contains numbers from zero to 9 and letters a to f so there's no confusion of I and O with 1 and 0.

Keep a note of that security key in My Documents and also outside the computer. :D 

Haviong posted this advice, this thread wioll probably be closed for no apparently good reason. If you still need help, PM me and we'll work the job to the finish.

m
l
!