RAM Recognized Incorrectly (2x4gb as 2x2gb)

wingyyy

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Speces:
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA990FXA-UD3 (newest BIOS update, not including beta)
RAM - Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 2x4GB
CPU - AMD FX-8350
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Issue:
My friend looked over my computer yesterday and he noticed that my computer only recognized 4.00GB of RAM. We thought the computer just didn't want to recognize one of the RAM or there was some issue in the BIOS.

We looked on the forum and saw some people saying we should go to System Config to check out Maximum Memory and have it unchecked. It is already unchecked, and says 4096. We're guessing it's not that problem.

We then saw people saying we should go to BIOS and do a RAM remapping. My BIOS (some odd reason) doesn't have that option.

I then use the Gigabyte Easy Tune 6 software to see if I can overclock something. I then see in the Memory tab that it recognizes both slots, but the module size is only listed as 2048MB.

Question:
What should I do????

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Download CPU-Z and see what the SPD and memory tab shows. If it shows full 8 gb with 4 gb per slot its fine otherwise check the RAM. Secondly check how much your onboard graphics is eating up. Third , if nothing shows up and RAM seems fine run memtest on them to check any errors.

wingyyy

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

I bought the RAM myself and double checked it, it says 4GB each, so can't be the problem of me not knowing the size of each RAM.

SPEED94: My MB doesn't come with onboard graphics, I have to have a PCI-e graphics card installed, so I don't think that is the problem. CPU-z also says I have 2048MB per slot. Not sure what else I can do.

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Are you sure your board doesn't have onboard graphics ? Its hard to believe since I haven't seen one. Anyway , if CPU-z is showing 4 gb theres something real wrong ...not with system sharing but your ram itself.

wingyyy

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3894#sp

Don't remember which rev my MB is, but either way, it doesn't have an on-board graphics; I'm guessing it's the ones where it assumes its users will install a graphics card.

Since Patriot does have a limited lifetime warranty, I might call them up and see if they can do anything about it.

Thanks for the information!

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Before calling them up check with another set of ram you get in hand ...this will help you cut down your problem. Leaving boards on a registered complain to the concerned manufacturing Company CAN BE lengthy.....No offense.

wingyyy

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013

Hmmmm... that is true about calling the company... will definitely try to find RAM from my friends to test it out.

Thanks for the help!