Sign in with
Your question

Gets stuck at motherboard loading screen + all sorts of probs

Last response: in Systems
December 31, 2011 6:27:50 PM

Okay, first of all thanks for the help in the past. I am posting this question on behalf of a friend. Below my question I will post his system specs. I have a homebuilt system that I upgraded a few months ago. I went from a dual core amd chip to a 6 core amd chip with a new motherboard and the same copy of windows 7 32bit. I often get stuck at the motherboard loading screen since installing the new chip/mobo and typically just restart the pc until it finally finally passes (rarely more than 1 or 2 tries). I've update my bios to the latest, made sure everything in setup is set to defaults, and tried reinstalling windows once; this has not helped. (As a side not I am a bit of a gamer and have experienced that team fortress 2 crashes often with artifacts on the screen before I can even play when loading from the steam platform, and also have the same kind of issues in Crysis 2 campaign mode except crisis 2 runs ok in multiplayer.) My system scans clean of any viruses (I use Avira-freeware version). I really don't know where to start.. Here are the system specs, hoping somebody can maybe point out any red flags. Thanks for your attention / help-
Edit: Forgot to mention I occasionally experience blue screen crashes from the gaming crashes in tf2 and crysis, I have not been able to capture the blue screen error as it disappears rather quickly.
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 29 °C
Thuban 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 403MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4N82 DELUXE (AM2) 38 °C

Graphics
SyncMaster (1680x1050@60Hz)
512MB GeForce GTS 250 (XFX Pine Group) 46 °C
512MB GeForce GTS 250 (XFX Pine Group) 49 °C
ForceWare version 290.53
SLI Enabled
Hard Drives
977GB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS BC-08B1ST ATA Device
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223L ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 1, 2012 11:02:10 AM

Check windows "device manager" in the control panel for any red or yellow flags (next to the device) which means there's a conflict or a device didn't load properly. I would also list your power supply specs. I had some performance issues with norton anti virus software awhile back, and switched to microsoft security essentials, a free download, but your issue may be due to a video driver conflict or weak power supply. Anytime you try a new video driver or anti virus software, be sure to uninstall it completely and reboot before trying something else.
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 1, 2012 12:21:42 PM

Some ideas:

Where did the other processor go? If it is still around, put it back in and see if the problems persist.

Take the battery out for 30 min and force the CMOS to rebuild itself.

Take out all non-essential hardware and see if the problem persists. That means removing a video card and going down to 1 stick of RAM too. Disconnect the DVD drive and any hard drives you don't need to boot with and all that good stuff. If you are stable with the minimum, slowly add components and try to crash it with each new thing.

Check that the BIOS is updated. Check that the other devices like the DVD drive have updated firmware too.

Run Memtest86 with the RAM in.

When you get into Windows, right click on my computer, properties, advanced system settings, startup and recovery, settings, uncheck the box to restart windows when a crash happens. This will give you all the time in the world to write down the error messages.

Go into the event viewer and see if you can grab any errors from before the computer crashes. To do this go to the control panel, administrative tools, event viewer, Windows Logs.
Related resources
January 1, 2012 5:37:46 PM

Rosewill RX630-S-B Xtreme 630W PSU is the power supply I'm using. I'm responding while we run through some of the steps and suggestions in the above posts. Thanks, will check for updates to the thread and repost when finished.
January 4, 2012 12:04:58 AM

Sorry about late final updates, looks like the switching of the cmos battery helped out with the getting stuck at the motherboard loading screens. As for switching out hardware and trying for a stable setup; it looks like one of the video cards in the sli setup might be having trouble, less crashes, but not 100% fixed yet.

Alot to try out and it's not my setup, so thanks again to the community here for the advice. Much appreciated.. Will update the thread if anything specific comes up, I think we have to dig around the steam forums as well..
!