Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Graphics card blocking SATA ports

Last response: in Motherboards
February 18, 2013 6:24:25 PM

I have this issue that I haven't really thought about before I bought my motherboard.
I've recently tested a EN8800GTS graphics card in my system and I had to remove all my SATA ports just to put the GPU into my case, I could only use the 4th SATA port and still it bent the port, I'd like to know if there's anyway I can dodge this problem.
I know that I can use right angled SATA cables but all my right angled cables are faced in one direction so I can't use the same right angled sata cables for the 2 SATA ports behind the first two that I use the right angled one for.

My case:

My mobo:

If it's possible to get a right angled sata cable that goes in the opposite direction of the SATA ports 1 and 4 then those cables should work fine.

More about : graphics card blocking sata ports

Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2013 8:04:35 PM

You can try as above or get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and bypass the onboard SATA connector. The card is bootable and will allow you to connect up to 2 SATA 6gb drives to it. It uses a PCI-E 1x slot and runs about $22.

I am using one in my system because all 6 of my onboard connects are in use and needed 2 more to setup the system to boot into Hackintosh OS X 10.8.2. It works very well and supports hot swap hot plug Multiplier and Trim support.

It would allow you to use your GPU and bypass the onboard SATA connectors all to gether.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2013 8:28:35 PM

CntrlAltDel said:
I stay in South Africa so I doubt any local store of yours will deliver

I know the feeling being from SA myself... Try www.landmarkpc.co.za they are very good and keep many enthusiast parts, that are difficult to find elsewhere....
February 19, 2013 8:48:55 AM

Best answer selected by CntrlAltDel.
m
l
!