Sign in with
Your question

Geforce GTX 580

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2011 4:23:34 AM

Hello there tom's hardware I have just joined and have heard good reviews about this website and was hoping that someone here could possibly help me with my problem.

My problem is that I recently bought a GTX 580 off of newegg. After installing the card into my motherboard and installing the drivers I went to www.systemrequirementslab.com to see if I could run some games before buying them.

I click battlefield 3 and I get this, http://i39.tinypic.com/14nfynl.png

It is saying that my brand new graphics card isn't good enough to run the game!? I do not see how this is possible, I checked on the Geforce website and it says it has a model shader of 5.0 so I do not see why it is coming up as a 3.0?

My system is in the screenshot above.

EDIT: by the way in that screenshot I cropped out the thing where it says FAIL. Thought that would be an important piece of information.

More about : geforce gtx 580

a c 109 U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 4:29:25 AM

Its a bogus website, it said I had 4gb of vram when I only have 1gb. Its a problem with them, not the card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 4:29:29 AM

Have you installed the latest drivers? 285.62 was released last week.
m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2011 4:29:50 AM

Well I dont really know what is wrong with the card but I will tell you how I would go about troubleshooting it....send it back to newegg asap. See if the new card does the same thing. If not problem solved. If the issue is still there at least you have taken "broken card" off the table.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 4:30:01 AM

Yeah it told me I had 4GB as well lol. But it did say I had shader model 5.0 though.
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 4:31:38 AM

Its a bogus website, just make sure your drivers are updated and you should be fine.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 4:31:47 AM

Wait a minute, don't RMA a card just based off what that wonky site says. I would download Nvidia Inspector or GPU-Z and see what it says about memory, etc.
m
l
November 3, 2011 4:32:11 AM

liquidchild said:
Well I dont really know what is wrong with the card but I will tell you how I would go about troubleshooting it....send it back to newegg asap. See if the new card does the same thing. If not problem solved. If the issue is still there at least you have taken "broken card" off the table.

I'm almost positive it is not a "broken card" because previously i had a GTX 560 ti and it was saying the exact same thing, and I am puzzled as to why it is STILL saying this after purchasing a new card. :( 
m
l
November 3, 2011 4:34:48 AM

Uh I just went to that website and went through the motions...Amuffin is right, forget that site.
m
l
November 3, 2011 4:37:37 AM

EDIT: I logged onto origin, what battlefield 3 uses as a client, and now I am recieving an error to where the game will not launch.

SCREENSHOT: http://i43.tinypic.com/28wi0ld.png

DOUBLE EDIT: I also received a problem like this with my old card, the GTX 560 ti.
m
l
November 3, 2011 4:38:11 AM

gmcizzle said:
Wait a minute, don't RMA a card just based off what that wonky site says. I would download Nvidia Inspector or GPU-Z and see what it says about memory, etc.
Didn't check out the site before posting...but when in doubt It cant hurt to take a new card if its within the 30 days. I had newegg take back my 6970 right when i got it because the metal bracket was bent. the card was fine but you can never be too careful
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 4:39:39 AM

Have you installed the latest version of DX11?
m
l
November 3, 2011 4:41:25 AM

twiz90 said:
EDIT: I logged onto origin, what battlefield 3 uses as a client, and now I am recieving an error to where the game will not launch.

SCREENSHOT: http://i43.tinypic.com/28wi0ld.png

DOUBLE EDIT: I also received a problem like this with my old card, the GTX 560 ti.
Did you use that site to bench your 560ti before or after you installed BF3?
m
l
November 3, 2011 4:41:29 AM

gmcizzle said:
Have you installed the latest drivers? 285.62 was released last week.

Yes, I have to latest up to date drivers
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 4:44:43 AM

Could it be a problem with his motherboard?
m
l
November 3, 2011 4:48:46 AM

Well it could be a lot of things. Maybe the site messed up his driver? never heard of that happening but when I went to the site it wanted a lot of info over my network. Do you have more then one PC twiz?
m
l
November 3, 2011 4:54:16 AM

liquidchild said:
Did you use that site to bench your 560ti before or after you installed BF3?

I used it before for something other than BF3 but I used it before and after install yes.

gmcizzle said:
Have you installed the latest version of DX11?

Yes, I installed the latest version from Microsoft's website.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 4:55:41 AM

What mobo do you have?
m
l
November 3, 2011 4:55:50 AM

liquidchild said:
Well it could be a lot of things. Maybe the site messed up his driver? never heard of that happening but when I went to the site it wanted a lot of info over my network. Do you have more then one PC twiz?

No I do not, I just have one main desktop that I use. My girlfriend used to have an HP laptop but it overheated and fried xD
m
l
November 3, 2011 4:57:15 AM

gmcizzle said:
What mobo do you have?

I have a gigabyte motherboard. Here is the exact model.

GA-MA785GT-UD3H

Also I did a flash of the BIOS so I could install my new CPU. My current BIOS version is F9B
m
l
November 3, 2011 4:59:10 AM

Have you tried to uninstall the drivers completely and then re-install them or are you just overriding the old drivers?
m
l
November 3, 2011 5:01:08 AM

liquidchild said:
Have you tried to uninstall the drivers completely and then re-install them or are you just overriding the old drivers?

I did the custom install and performed a clean install of the drivers if that is what you are asking?
m
l
November 3, 2011 5:04:35 AM

Did you have issue with the card before the mobo update update? With ether card?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 5:17:27 AM

That looks fine to me except that CUDA and Direct Compute are unchecked (they are checked on mine), you have the 3GB version I'm assuming?
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 5:19:40 AM

Does the card have sufficent power????
m
l
November 3, 2011 5:21:06 AM

He said both cards are having issues. Could it be an issue with how the card is communicating with the mobo amuffin? Maybe the pci slot is going on the fritz?
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 5:22:03 AM

liquidchild said:
He said both cards are having issues. Could it be an issue with how the card is communicating with the mobo amuffin? Maybe the pci slot is going on the fritz?

Eh, im not sure what could be his problem to the full extent.
m
l
November 3, 2011 5:22:33 AM

gmcizzle said:
That looks fine to me except that CUDA and Direct Compute are unchecked (they are checked on mine), you have the 3GB version I'm assuming?

Yes that's right I have the 3GB version here it is:

(GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3072MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card)
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 5:24:13 AM

twiz90 said:
Yes that's right I have the 3GB version here it is:

(GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3072MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card)

cuda and direct compute should be checked because its an nvidia card.
m
l
November 3, 2011 5:24:15 AM

how many watts is the PSU?
m
l
November 3, 2011 5:26:45 AM

liquidchild said:
how many watts is the PSU?

1000w
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 5:32:17 AM

You have your card in the PCI slot closest to the CPU right?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 5:34:34 AM

I think it's just a driver issue. I would uninstall dx11 and reinstall the latest version again. If that still doesn't work then completely remove the GTX 580 drivers and reinstall again.
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 5:36:29 AM

gmcizzle said:
I think it's just a driver issue. I would uninstall dx11 and reinstall the latest version again. If that still doesn't work then completely remove the GTX 580 drivers and reinstall again.

or it could be a defective card :o 
m
l
November 3, 2011 5:37:58 AM

gmcizzle said:
You have your card in the PCI slot closest to the CPU right?

Yes I do.
m
l
November 3, 2011 5:40:00 AM

Uninstall it and then manually erase all video drivers from your program files. Then install drivers from the nvidia site.
m
l
November 3, 2011 5:41:20 AM

amuffin said:
or it could be a defective card :o 
That is what i said in my first post...but he did say it happened to his 560ti too.
m
l
November 3, 2011 5:47:39 AM

liquidchild said:
Uninstall it and then manually erase all video drivers from your program files. Then install drivers from the nvidia site.

How do I manually uninstall?
m
l
November 3, 2011 5:50:24 AM

twiz90 said:
How do I manually install?
Not manually install, manually delete the video driver folders from your program files folder and then install the updated driver files from the nvidia website.
m
l
November 3, 2011 5:52:02 AM

liquidchild said:
Not manually install, manually delete the video driver folders from your program files folder and then install the updated driver files from the nvidia website.

Sorry a bit tired. I mean to type uninstalled, how do I go about doing that?
m
l
November 3, 2011 6:02:57 AM

Open your hard drive, look for a folder named nvidia(it could be in your program files, It might be in another location but on my PC in in the program files folder) when you find it delete the whole folder. restart your pc and then reinstall the drivers from the website.
m
l
November 3, 2011 6:09:21 AM

Stop what you are doing with the drivers. Its the game problem, go in the game folder (origin games). Find the DirectX folder and delete everything inside. Restart the game
m
l
November 3, 2011 6:23:20 AM

footsoldier said:
Stop what you are doing with the drivers. Its the game problem, go in the game folder (origin games). Find the DirectX folder and delete everything inside. Restart the game

This did not work for me.
m
l
November 3, 2011 6:35:09 AM

liquidchild said:
Open your hard drive, look for a folder named nvidia(it could be in your program files, It might be in another location but on my PC in in the program files folder) when you find it delete the whole folder. restart your pc and then reinstall the drivers from the website.

:cry:  It seems that did not work either. I am still getting the same Directx device creation error.
m
l
November 3, 2011 6:40:20 AM

Quote:
LOL said i must upgrade my 480 to play BF3 :lol:  :lol: 

Have you found a possible solution before? Do you know why that site is reading what I do not have, or why I am getting a D3D error?
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 6:48:29 AM

twiz90 said:
Have you found a possible solution before? Do you know why that site is reading what I do not have, or why I am getting a D3D error?

The site is a fake website, don't trust these sources. Trust legitmate websites like tomshardware and anandtech.
m
l
November 3, 2011 6:57:37 AM

Quote:
Your GTX 580 has shader model 5.0.
That site is incorrect.
D3D error is to do with your directx runtime libraries.
With your install disc for your game go into the disc and find the directx setup and install from there.

I went onto both discs and found it on the second disc, but it wouldn't let me install because it said I needed; D:\Data.z01
then right after I get a winrar error.

The first disc had that a file named Data.z01 and also Data.cd but I couldnt open them :??: 
m
l
!