Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do i need low profile ram with this motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 18, 2013 6:29:24 PM

I'm purchasing a Hyper 212 EVO aftermarket cooler, and its gonna be used on a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 motherboard. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I've heard that the cooler is rather large and can cover up one of the ram ports.

Although it would require low profile ram, if i'm only using 2 of the 4 slots, could i use regular ram on the outer most slots only?
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2013 7:50:34 PM

iSpecialTime said:
I'm purchasing a Hyper 212 EVO aftermarket cooler, and its gonna be used on a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 motherboard. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I've heard that the cooler is rather large and can cover up one of the ram ports.

Although it would require low profile ram, if i'm only using 2 of the 4 slots, could i use regular ram on the outer most slots only?

How to manage rams is entirely your decision depending upon the setup of your mobo. Just REMEMBER that your board is Dual Channel and act accordingly. As long as you stick to ram of same specs and all are unbuffered (low density) you should'nt have any problem.
BTW, why do you need such a big monster cooler ? Tough overclocking? Never tried myself but heard there quite some compact efficient after market coolers out there which people use to overclock their 2500ks to about 5 ghz. Must be nice.
m
l

Best solution

February 18, 2013 8:00:45 PM

I have a 212 myself, and I had the same problem with it covering the RAM slots. But uh, the heatsink itself doesn't. So you can just offset the fan a bit to the left, and the RAM should slide under fine :)  If you're really picky (like me), and don't want the fan being offset to the left a bit (because it doesn't look as sexy then :( ), then you should go for some low-profile RAM. Hope this helped :) 
Related resources
a c 75 V Motherboard
February 18, 2013 8:03:58 PM

The fan on the Cooler Master Hyper 212 +/Evo is about 1.7" from the board and can cover the 1st and sometimes even the 2nd memory slot. So you need to be careful on the memory that you select. Normal Corsair Vengeance is out but the low profile is good. G. Skill Ares is good but so is the Ripjaws X.
m
l
a c 208 V Motherboard
February 18, 2013 8:51:19 PM

Why would you want something "other than" low profile RAM ? Those tall fancy looking heat sinks are vestigal left overs from a day when RAM actually needed them. The only cooling effect of these big coolers is that they "look cool". While they served a purpose (when they were effective) w/ DDR2, they are absolutely useless on DDR3.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
Quote:
At more than 2" tall in certain areas the Corsair Vengeance could pose a problem for users like me who use large coolers such as the Scythe Mugen 2. I was able to use the Corsair Vengeance only after I mounted the fan on my cooler on the backside. Size is definitely a concern with heat spreaders of this size and therefore I encourage users to check that they will have enough space under their heatsinks before purchasing the Corsair Vengeance kit.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
Quote:
The problem I have with the Corsair Vengeance is the same I have with many kits of RAM on the market. Companies insist on putting large coolers on their RAM and it limits the choice in CPU heatsinks that can be used within users system. DDR3 does not require these elaborate coolers with its lower voltages which translate to lower temperatures then RAM saw during the DDR, and DDR2 era. Corsair is correcting this with low profile versions of its Vengeance line but ultimately I would like to see the average size of coolers drop instead of having to look for specific low profile versions of a memory line.

m
l
February 18, 2013 9:30:51 PM

SPEED94 said:
How to manage rams is entirely your decision depending upon the setup of your mobo. Just REMEMBER that your board is Dual Channel and act accordingly. As long as you stick to ram of same specs and all are unbuffered (low density) you should'nt have any problem.
BTW, why do you need such a big monster cooler ? Tough overclocking? Never tried myself but heard there quite some compact efficient after market coolers out there which people use to overclock their 2500ks to about 5 ghz. Must be nice.

What exactly is dual channel when it comes to motherboards? I'm not very savvy when it comes to the jargon.
m
l
February 18, 2013 9:32:33 PM

nadim615 said:
I have a 212 myself, and I had the same problem with it covering the RAM slots. But uh, the heatsink itself doesn't. So you can just offset the fan a bit to the left, and the RAM should slide under fine :)  If you're really picky (like me), and don't want the fan being offset to the left a bit (because it doesn't look as sexy then :( ), then you should go for some low-profile RAM. Hope this helped :) 

Okay. I'm gonna do 8gb (4gb x 2) of corsair vengeance low profile ram. I'm no pro at motherboard though. Does this have 2 or 4 ram slots? If I wanted to expand could i add 2 more sticks or would I have to upgrade to 8 x2?
m
l
February 18, 2013 11:15:40 PM

iSpecialTime said:
Okay. I'm gonna do 8gb (4gb x 2) of corsair vengeance low profile ram. I'm no pro at motherboard though. Does this have 2 or 4 ram slots? If I wanted to expand could i add 2 more sticks or would I have to upgrade to 8 x2?

If your motherboard has 4 slots, then you should be able to do 4x2Gb
m
l
February 19, 2013 12:49:33 AM

nadim615 said:
If your motherboard has 4 slots, then you should be able to do 4x2Gb

What would be the benefit of doing 4x2gb? If i wanted to upgrade to 16, then i would have to buy entirely new ram cards.
m
l
February 19, 2013 4:37:24 AM

Best answer selected by iSpecialTime.
m
l
February 20, 2013 3:20:58 AM

iSpecialTime said:
What would be the benefit of doing 4x2gb? If i wanted to upgrade to 16, then i would have to buy entirely new ram cards.

The only benefit would be upgrading from 4GB of RAM to 8GB. imo, I'd just sell off what you got now and grab 2x8GB. Lots of people say that 8GB is all you need for gaming to have good performance and such, but eh I find that 12-16GB cuts it better. So really, you may as well just grab 2x8GB. But its up to you.
m
l
!