CAN MY MOTHER BOARD SUPPORT INTEL DUAL CORE PROCESSORS

Deleonbryant

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Hey guys, i'm not a noob nor a pro at computer hardware/software but this on gets me. Can my mobo support duo core? if so, which one ? thanks:D

pc Model:t3508

Mobo Model: T3506 T3508 DESKTOP MOTHERBOARD 4006117R

Current cpu : Cereon d single core @ 3.3 GHZ

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I don't see anything that suggests it wouldn't support a dual core processor. Yahoo! Answers isn't exactly a credible source when the answer is literally just one word, with one vote and no sources.

Unfortunately, what little information I could find about the board was people talking about all the problems they had in trying to upgrade the processor. There are probably dual core chips you can use, but without finding somebody who's successfully upgraded the CPU on that board, it's going to be a crap shoot on what actually works.

as33

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
looks to me like a normal LGA 775 board with 533/800 sys bus so no has to be 533/800/1066 to support dual cores (if i remember that right) it was just so long ago :(

maybe u can try your luck with a E5800 or lower 800 FSB core 2 duo made on 65nm tech but if u want my guess its not going to work since it looks like its a old oem board

I checked a few motherboards based on the same ATI RC410 chipset and the processors supported by HP might also be supported by Gateway: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00638516 There are a few dual core processors supported by HP, but you need to find out if Gateway also supports them. A Pentium D 820 can be bought for $10-15; therefore the risk is low. If the current processor is a Celeron D 356, then you may be lucky with the Pentium D 820.

Anonymous_26

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

If you plan on using the board you have right now than no. The motherboard you have now is Intel Socket 775 and the Athlon is made by AMD. They are two compleatly different processors with different sockets.

diablo34life

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

bro athlons have varying cores. you can get a duel , triple or quad core athlon. dont get an athlon get a phenom2 or fx cpu. now go and dont turn back !

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Why not get a current generation CPU instead? If you're going to be replacing your motherboard, why would you want to replace it with something that's only marginally less out of date? It's not like entry level SB chips are expensive. You can get a kick ass dual core for about $65, or AMD quads for around $100.

At any rate, it seems like you don't know much about computer hardware. I would very strongly recommend doing a bit of research before you go buying components you don't understand. Replacing a motherboard isn't a simple task for somebody who's new to this kind of thing. You'll need to totally dismantle the computer to do it, and if you're using an old case from Dell, HP or some place like that, you may not even be able to fit a new motherboard in there.

+1 If you want to get a new motherboard, you might as well get something current gen. Any current gen processor/motherboard combo you get will be MUCH better than what you have now, and will also be better than anything you can upgrade to with the motherboard that you have.

http://www.asus.com.au/Barebone_PC/P_Series_0811L/P4P5G41/
Supports:
Intel CPU
Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor
Intel® Pentium® Dual Core Processor
Intel® Celeron® Dual Core Processors
Socket LGA 775

The highest end processor you can get is teh Q9650. It supports all of the core 2 duo's, quads, celerons, and pentiums that use socket 775.