Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphics problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2011 5:51:37 AM

Hello,
I have a Geforce 9800GT on a P5Q SE Plus motherboard. Recently, I've run into trouble with my computer, it will not boot windows anymore (always going to a System Repair menu, that ultimately tells me it can't repair anything), and when it does show anything on the screen, it shows the uniform dotted lines across the entire screen (similar to what I've read that may be due to a video RAM issue) but you can still see something behind the dots. (Picture is not distorted, just covered by these marks across entire screen). Anyway, I technically haven't been able to diagnose the problem as caused by my video card (which is only 2yrs old...) but from what I can tell so far, it looks like it. Can anyone tell me how to find out for sure what my problem is?

I first had issues when I started playing SC2 one day (previously I never had issues. I also had made no hardware changes to my PC) I restarted and waited a while, and eventually it started up again. Now, 2 days later is where I'm at and the windows won't even boot. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Any help is appreciated.

Also, if I do need to replace my video card, what would be a decent replacement? (Good bang for buck performance, will be able to play most games decently, but not looking for high end stuff; say ~$50)

More about : graphics problems

November 3, 2011 6:47:04 AM

how can i confirm whether or not it's my vid card? and how do I know it's fried? or not just some software issue? or, even if it's something else? i can't even boot windows...
Score
November 3, 2011 7:09:20 AM

try a different PSU and GPU if you have another computer or if you have a friend that will let you use some of his components.
Score
Related resources
November 4, 2011 1:41:56 AM

I'd already been playing sc2 for the past year, like I said, there were no changes whatsoever to the system hardware-wise. I tried to do a system restore to a few days ago, but it still will not boot windows.

Is it common for a vid card to give out in 2 years of use? That seems awfully short-lived. This is the first time I've used an Nvidia/Geforce card (all my previous ones were ATI) and so far I'm disappointed with the short life span.

Also, if I up my budget to about $75 can I get something decent? recommendations?
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2011 2:16:45 AM

You said a repair menu. Will that be the windows repair one?
First boot into the recovery console and do a chkdsk /r.
Score
November 4, 2011 4:56:32 AM

I believe it was the windows repair one. I also ran the scan disc from that menu too and it said it needed to reboot in order to do it. I did it and it didn't change anything. Didn't even tell me if something was wrong.

I don't want to do a fresh install of windows b/c that will wipe my hdd right? I didn't backup my stuff >_< So... I'd like to try other measures first.
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2011 1:27:03 PM

It might be a bad drive.
Download Hiren Boot cd
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/files/Hirens.BootCD.14.0.zi...

Burn it to disk or make a bootable flash with it. Then boot up with it. Choose your manufacturers disk utility and run a diagnostic on your hdd. You can use one of the other disk utilitys as well there's some good ones on there. But choose the ones from the dos menu not the mini xp one. See if it reports any errors. There might be some unrecoverable bad blocks on it. If there is Spinrite is your last hope to backup and save your data before you try a wipe
Score
November 5, 2011 6:47:01 PM

Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool without any luck. Also just ran memtest86 (although an older version) and so far nothing different either... I haven't been able to find anyone with a spare PCI-express video card to borrow. Anyone know Best Buy's return policy on video cards? Lol

Also, anyone got any reasonable video card suggestions? Best bang for buck video card out there for a mobo like mine? Asus P5Q SE Plus, thanks.
Score
November 8, 2011 3:56:38 AM

Did it, no change in appearance. Is there anything else I can try to eliminate or identify a vid card problem?
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2011 4:13:09 AM

chanman1 said:
Did it, no change in appearance. Is there anything else I can try to eliminate or identify a vid card problem?

did you check the hdd?
Score
November 11, 2011 1:27:54 AM

I stopped checking this for a while b/c I've been busy and had my laptop. I randomly turned on the computer and it booted up normally this time! I have no idea what's going on. I'm planning on backing up the data right now and running an antivirus. Also scheduled a disc check at next bootup. Are there any other things I should do/run while I have the windows normal? Is that Hiren program the best thing to use to check the hdd now? Any ideas on what might be going on with that extra bit of info? Thanks.
Score
November 16, 2011 4:40:54 AM

Ok, I got the Hiren file and am burning it onto a CD now. There are so many programs on this thing, how will my computer know to run the right file when it boots up? I'm pretty confused as to how this boot CD works, so if someone could please describe to me, I'd be very thankful.
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2011 5:04:34 AM

do you have a usb stick. Boot from the usb stick
this is how to do it
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk

follow that guide exactly and put the usb stick as the first bootable device. Hiren boot cd will boot up.

Use the dos programs then hdd tools. Select hdat2. Then let it scan the drive
Score
November 16, 2011 5:19:35 AM

I already used the disc once. My hdd is a WD drive so I used the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and I got an unknown error: 0141; No idea what that is.

I also tried to run a surface test on the hdd and the screen went all jumbled and couldn't read anything... ack. I will run hdat2 now.
Score
November 16, 2011 5:22:21 AM

Do I want to:
check and repair bad sectors?
check bad sectors only?
read and repair bad sectors?
read back sectors?
most powerful test?
user defined test?

def not wiping the drive at this time...
Score
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2011 7:47:10 AM

chanman1 said:
Do I want to:
check and repair bad sectors?
check bad sectors only?
read and repair bad sectors?
read back sectors?
most powerful test?
user defined test?

def not wiping the drive at this time...

Check and repair bad sectors. Its the first option I believe
Score
November 17, 2011 12:08:59 AM

I ran that, and didn't get any errors. I'm also currently running "most powerful test" and it's about 80% done and there have not been any errors yet.

What's next?
Score
November 18, 2011 1:07:35 AM

bump
Score
November 20, 2011 7:01:24 AM

bump again..
Score
!