Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Seeking Advice on Cheap Build for Video Editing

Last response: in Systems
December 31, 2011 8:13:42 PM

I’d appreciate your input. I know a little about computer technology but I think this one’s over my head and I’d value the advice of those more savvy than me! :) 

I’d like to buy or build a budget PC (prefer $400 or less before operating system, monitor etc.) that will serve two primary purposes:

1) Editing HD (1080p) home video taken from my HD camcorder and
2) Storing and serving that video (as well as photos and music) to my television & sound system through my wireless N router and via my Blu-Ray player.

I know this won’t be state-of-the-art editing speed but I also don’t want to deal with really slow response times etc when I’m trying to edit – just “OK” is good enough. Also don’t see a need to burn Blu-Rays but could add a Blu Ray burner to my system later if it seems necessary.

A few more related questions/considerations:

- If either of these systems is viable I wonder if you would advise adding a budget video card (such as a GeForce GT 520) for more satisfactory video editing
- In reality nobody watches home videos every day. Is there a simple way to boot up and shut down the computer via remote control or some other way? It’ll be in my basement and the TV will be on the main floor. I’d rather not run up and down to turn it on or off whenever I want to stream music or video.
- Would springing for a small (64G or 128G) SSD provide a noticeable performance improvement

So, I’m looking at a couple of systems from Tiger Direct and wonder if these will serve my needs. (If you don’t like any of these then feedback on a system you WOULD recommend would be helpful):

http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-De...

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

I’ve also pasted below what I believe to be the pertinent details in case you can’t (or don’t want to) go to the website.

HP Pavilion p6716f Refurbished Desktop PC

Operating Systems: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Total Memory Size: 6GB DDR3
Maximum Memory Supported: 16GB
Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 640 (3.0GHz)
Capacity: 1TB 7,200RPM SATA HDD
Optical Drive: DVDRW
Supplemental Media Type: 15-1 Card Reader
Integrated Audio
Integrated Graphics (ATI Radeon 4200)
Power: 250 Watt

GIGABYTE 880GM-USB3 DiabloTek Barebones Kit

GIGABYTE 880GM-USB3 AMD 880G AM3+ Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1035T 2.60GHz AM3 Processor
Patriot 4GB DDR3-1333MHz G2 Desktop Memory Module (2 modules – 8GB Total)
Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA-6G Hard Drive
DiabloTek Elite 450W PSU
ATX Mid Tower Case
Sony Optiarc AD7280S-OB 24x DVDRW Drive

Thanks for your input and, as I mentioned, feel free to suggest budget alternatives!!

Best solution

December 31, 2011 8:34:44 PM

The barebones is going to be slightly better because
1. It has a 6 core CPU (video editing is core intensive and is multi-cored)
2. It has more RAM, which is something you might want if you're running the video editor and doing something else.
However, I do not like the Barebones kit because of the case/PSU...I never trust PSU companies such as Broadway Corp, DiabloTek, LOGISYS, etc. The power supply is the heart of your computer and if that fails, it could potentially damage your whole computer, including the motherboard, RAM, and CPU, not to mention also corrupting your HDD if it was in the middle of a write operation. If I were you, I would go with the barebones computer and then buy this PSU instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, the barebones kit is using an onboard gfx...which isn't good since I've heard video editing requires a semi-decent gfx card.
December 31, 2011 9:14:03 PM

That sounds like very solid advice! I had wondered whether 450w was enough but hadn't really considered whether the maker was reliable.

Thanks for taking the time to respond - I really appreciate it.
m
l
Related resources
December 31, 2011 9:25:12 PM

No problem! And if you do consider buying, you can always post on Tom's with your build for critique
m
l
January 11, 2012 1:40:42 AM

Best answer selected by SCIGuy.
m
l
!