Limited or No wireless connection

lynne22-03

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
We have 2 houses on the same property only meters apart. The modem is in house 1 where we run 2 laptops and a computer. Another wireless laptop runs from house 2 and connects to the modem in house 1. However the signal on the laptop in house 2 has become very weak and keeps dropping out. I have tested my laptop in house 2 and the signal is strong in both houses and have tested the problem laptop in house 1 and the signal is strong but very weak in house 2. I have had the modem checked and all is working OK. I have had the wireless card in the problem laptop checked and it is working well off the premises. The only thing left to check is the electrical connect between the 2 house. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Where is the Modem actually located and can it be moved so that it is near a window facing house 2 ? what type of antenna is on the laptop in question (does the laptop that functions have a different higher output antenna - figure a good connection requires that both the received and transmitted signals are strong enough so if the laptop has a weaker antenna than the second laptop the connection will dropout even if the incoming signal is strong) ? does the next door neighbor on the other side of house 2 also have a wireless network or phone etc. that might be interefering with the signal and have you tried manually changing the wireless channel ?

lynne22-03

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
We are upgrading the modem in House 1 which will have a stronger signal, and also probably using the old modem in House 2. That should hopefully solve the problem.
Thanks for your help.