Sign in with
Your question

LITE-ON Problem

Last response: in Systems
December 31, 2011 11:51:52 PM

Hello all,

Once again I have encountered a problem with my newly build computer. First it was mere confusion but I buckled down and got it finished. All my hardware (GPU, MB, PSU) is working perfectly and my monitor is detecting everything, but my LITE-N DVD drive won't open. It has power (signified by the green light on underneath it) but the damn thing won't open. I expected issues that would end in my frustration but I didn't think it would be something as simple as not being able to install my OS. Anybody have this issue and resolved it, or can just tell me what to do?

Thanks in advance.

More about : lite problem

January 1, 2012 12:07:58 AM

Ive had this problem with lite-on drives...believe it or not you have the screws in to tight and the drawer cant open.......or else the brackets on the side are fitting to tight and it wont open,so open up the case and loosen that drive and i bet it opens for you
m
l
January 1, 2012 12:38:57 AM

teaser said:
Ive had this problem with lite-on drives...believe it or not you have the screws in to tight and the drawer cant open.......or else the brackets on the side are fitting to tight and it wont open,so open up the case and loosen that drive and i bet it opens for you

I don't see how that could be it, as I'm not using screws but an automatic locking device embedded in my tower.
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2012 12:47:29 AM

does the light stay on all the time also try it out of the case with the wire connected to see if the drawer will open.
m
l
January 1, 2012 12:48:58 AM

he may be right you know-sometimes the simplest solution is the correct one--occams razor or something-unlock the quick locking device to see

if not on the front of the dvd drive should be a tiny hole--you can manually eject the tray with a pin or a needle

by putting it in the hole to let you install windows

m
l
January 1, 2012 12:56:47 AM

scout_03 said:
does the light stay on all the time also try it out of the case with the wire connected to see if the drawer will open.

The light stays on for 5(ish) seconds before going dark, if I press it again it lights up again. And I'm hesitant to disassemble my rig for something so small. Also, I unhatched one side of my optical drive, to loosen it, but still no dice.
m
l
January 1, 2012 12:58:09 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
he may be right you know-sometimes the simplest solution is the correct one--occams razor or something-unlock the quick locking device to see

if not on the front of the dvd drive should be a tiny hole--you can manually eject the tray with a pin or a needle

by putting it in the hole to let you install windows

I see the hole, and I inserted a paper-clip, but the damn thing is bottomless, I'm afraid I'll damage the inside if I go any deeper.
m
l
January 1, 2012 12:59:42 AM

I was about to get a LITE-ON drive too, but i went with HP drive, kinda happy. Sorry i cant help much but good luck!
m
l
January 1, 2012 1:02:57 AM

I would recommend the remove the drive and power it externally as well. This would be with NO data cable. If it does not open, it may just be defective and require replacement.

If it opens, there may be something wrong with the cable. I have had several lite-on drives, my only issue was they are louder then some others(but fast)
m
l
January 1, 2012 1:06:28 AM

Luckster said:
I was about to get a LITE-ON drive too, but i went with HP drive, kinda happy. Sorry i cant help much but good luck!

Hp drives are just re-badged anyway, I have seen Samsung and Pioneer with the HP name on them :)  .

For a long time, ALL Sony drives used to be rebadged lite-ons. Now-days Sony seems to have there own.
m
l
January 1, 2012 1:34:16 AM

claytonrace said:
I see the hole, and I inserted a paper-clip, but the damn thing is bottomless, I'm afraid I'll damage the inside if I go any deeper.

paperclip should be ideal--do it with the power to the drive disconnected to be safe--its a mechanical eject so

doesnt need power

sounds silly but try to put it in straight as it may slip by the side of the release button
m
l
January 1, 2012 2:25:35 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
paperclip should be ideal--do it with the power to the drive disconnected to be safe--its a mechanical eject so

doesnt need power

sounds silly but try to put it in straight as it may slip by the side of the release button

Never used the paperclip in an emergency, but used to do it when the computer was off to remove cd's :) 

and yeah, it is easy to just miss it then it slides on the side.
m
l
!