Should I buy this IBM harddrive?

G

I want to buy this IBm 75 GXP 45gig 7200RPM ATA/100 harddisk but i'm still concern if it's the best reliable and performance in the market, I heard alot of great thing about Quantum and Western Digital, anyone got any suggestion? Thanks

breed33

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have had great experiences with IBM HDs. I personally have three myself and have put three others in my families PCs. I used to use WD, but I started having troubles with them after a year of use. I would get mysterious problems with power connectors and motors. This happened on about 3 of the 15 or so HDs I had used. The others were all fine.

I have no experience with Quantam.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I have also had great experiences with IBM hard drives. In fact, I do have a 45GB IBM 75GXP right now, and it's great. I highly recommend it.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

I have had 2 Quantums and they have both failed, Western Digital used to be very good but not anymore, No the best one is IBM, they are the best right now

G

I agree with yoda271828. I own this drive also and it is simply the best drive I have ever owned. Period.

John Garrett
System Admin - www.elementk.com
Editor - Exploring Windows NT Professional

G

We're all happy with our IBM drives. My sister has the same one, my girlfriend has the 30GB version. I have one 20GB ATA66 7200RPM (the series before the 75 GXP) and my brother has 2 of them in RAID 0 with a Promise Fasttrak 66.
One suggestion, you might want to get 2 20 or 30GB drives and put them in RAID 0 instead of buying 1 large drive.
Another tip - be sure to make at least 2 partitions (15GB, 30GB for example) instead of on big 45GB partition. That way it won't take as long to format if you should need to reinstall Windows. Plus you can put stuff on the 2nd partition instead of having to backup Gigs of stuff when you reinstall or upgrade.

RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Im still trying to figure out if i go SCSI or stay IDE.....but one thing is certain...if its IDE, at this point there is no topping the 75GXP models. From all ive read nothing is even close to it at the moment.

Rama

" He who (BLEEPS) nuns, will later join the church " Joe Strummer, The Clash - "Death or Glory"

G

i also have the IBM that you're thinking about and its great!!! i've had WD and Quantums and, not that benchmarks mean anything in the real world, but the IBM blows them away...

G

I use the IBM 75GXP 45's in my server, and the Western Digital 400BB in my main system. Both are very fast, though the WD seems a little quicker at times. I have had no reliability issues with the IBM and WD drives, but Maxtor and Quantum drives I have had to replace.

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi Arrow,

I'm running the 45 gig GXP right now too and I love its performance and quiet operation, but I began having a problem. It seems every month or so, I'm ending up with bad clusters on the drive. I'm running it on a Promise ATA100 controller on an ASUS A7V motherboard. I have the drive partioned into 4 drives. The drive isn't all that old and I'm considering returning it for a replacement. I've never had a drive that had these problems. I'm wondering if you've heard anything about anything like this?
Thanks for any advice or help,
PHIL