Sign in with
Your question
Solved

1st time build -----I'd like some opinions Please

Last response: in Systems
January 1, 2012 1:16:52 AM

I'm new to this so bare with me. I've been building motorcycles and race cars my entire life. I'm disabled and in a wheelchair now so it's time to do something else. I decided to build my own computer. I didn't know about the forums, I just did research and read a LOT of reviews. So not knowing what I'm doing, I made sure everything worked well with everything else. And that the components were at the level I wanted. Sort of like I build a race car. I thought everything through as much as I could. For instance I have 2 intake and 1 exhaust fans. I started with a Hyper N520 CPU cooler then I figured out it will block off a RAM slot or 2 so I ordered a Corsair H60 water cooler to replace it. The air cooler would blow straight at the rear exhaust fan and I even got some filters for the intake fans. So here is a list of my components.
Apevia X-Cruiser2 Metal Mid-Tower Case
Ultra LSP550 550-Watt Power Supply
ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1)
Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
Seagate ST95005620AS Momentus XT 500GB Solid State Hybrid Drive
Western Digital WD5002AALX Caviar Black Hard Drive - 500GB
WD Caviar Blue 500G
WD Caviar Green 500G
Corsair Hydro H60 water cooler
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB)
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card
2 EVGA 01G-P3-1452-TR GeForce GTS 450 SuperClocked Video Cards to try in SLI
LG WH12LS30 Internal Blu-ray Burner
Lite-On iHBS11204 12x Internal Blu-Ray Burner
Masscool Hard Drive Cooler Fan fits 3.5" Drives
Vantec 3.5" Aluminum Hard Drive Cooler
Rosewill RCR-AK-IM5002 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Card Reader
Logitech X-540 speakers
That's pretty much all of it but I'm sure I've forgot a few items. So did I do OK for a first try? I'd really appreciate your opinions, ideas and suggestions. I don't plan on overclocking other that the Turbo button just to see what it does. Believe it or not, I'm not a gamer. I am into burning movies both DVD and blu-ray and watching them of course. I'm going to need advice on the hard drives and bios settings. Once everything is put together and plugged in, I have no clue what to do when I hit the power button. I have a new copy of Windows 7 64 bit to go on the hard drives as well. Thanks in advance for the help

Best solution

January 1, 2012 3:32:28 AM

I have to say I don't quite know whether you are ready to order these components or they arrived already. As I was reading I kept thinking it was one, then the other. Yoiiur research was very well done and planned....few things I didn't get

Can't quite understand why ya decided to get 4 HD's ....Or two different sets of memory ..... or two optical drives ?

Really no need for a sound card

Should be no need for a HD cooler unless ya got 15k SCSI drives .... it doesn't hurt tho

Rosewill and Ultra are brands better avoided

A single 560 Ti will beat two 450's in SLI

http://www.geforce.com/Hardware/GPUs/geforce-gts-450/pe...

January 1, 2012 3:49:05 AM

I can understand 4 hdd but why 4 different hdds?

And ultra has had issues in the past, but from what I've heard recently their new models are much more reliable.. and honestly onboard audio, unless you're a super audiophile, is just as good as having a card... most people can't even tell the difference.
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2012 4:48:00 AM

If you're not gaming and you don't feel like throwing money away you could do this a WHOLE lot cheaper. One cheap GPU, a cheap processor, stock air cooling.
m
l
January 9, 2012 6:46:29 AM

Wow, thanks for all the input! And the compliments. I've put all this together over the course of a year or so. The sound card I had already, the optical drives because I like the symmetry of two drives. As for the memory... that was a serious blond moment lol The hard drives just sort of happened. Like I said, I come from a racing background so the watercooling really caught my eye! lol Although I actually prefer the aircooler I first got. Plus to make it work, I had to bust out my dremel tool and grind three notches in the frame of the side fan to clear the ends of the cooling tubes. Now keep in mind everything was bought on sale because I'm a cheap bastard lol Hence the Rosewill and Ultra I had them here from a prior upgrade of this one. I plan on a good modular power supply when the price comes down to what I'm willing to pay. I ordered a GTS 450 to replace a burned out 8600 and they sent two and then told me to just keep both so now I have two. I'll upgrade in the future after I fix all my mistakes with this one. To be honest, this build is nothing but something new to do. But I am having fun. I should be putting it all together in a few days and I'll keep you all posted on how it goes. Again, thanks for the input. It's very encouraging.
m
l
January 10, 2012 11:32:01 PM

Best answer selected by dt36.
m
l
!