Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe sound cutting out (intermittent)

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
February 19, 2013 2:08:36 AM

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate
GFX: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature+

Sound was working fine the first month, not sure what changed but my sound from my speakers keep cutting out for a few seconds every few minutes. No problems with sound if I use headphones from the ports on the front of my PC case. Until I turned off notifications, "Realtek HD Audio Manager" would say that the speakers were disconnected and plugged back in everytime my sound cut out.

Asus support says to reinstall Windows? Not very helpful and I'd rather not if I can avoid it. I've tried updating the drivers but that didn't solve anything.

Any ideas?
February 19, 2013 2:18:46 AM

I NEVER realized the problem could be my speakers until I was forced to type all this out. Will listen with my headphones for a couple hours. Sorry to post so prematurely.
m
0
l
February 20, 2013 1:16:31 PM

So it turns out it's not my speakers. It seems like it cuts out less on my headphones but I'm not sure. Regardless, it's still cutting out and I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
m
0
l
Related resources
February 25, 2013 12:24:59 AM

Still haven't solved this. Would installing Windows 8 over this help? I'd rather that than reformat, etc.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2013 12:37:20 AM

All applications? Front or back port?
m
0
l
February 25, 2013 5:06:22 AM

Only the one plug in the back port. I'm only using one plug since I running 2.1 speakers.

I've not had the problem in the front port.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2013 5:52:06 PM

Perhaps its a bad solder joint on the plug itself?
m
0
l
February 26, 2013 3:07:01 AM

I am having the same problem. almost the same setup also. I have the GTX 670. Its very frustrating and would like to solve this problem.
m
0
l
February 27, 2013 4:33:54 AM

Glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I don't think it's the soldering but that's possible. Might be a driver conflict or something cause it wasn't there the first couple months I had the system.
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 5:38:16 AM

Kongo Here...

- I have the same problem. It seems to have a problem with the back panel. If I plug the sound in the back.. It keeps giving me the "Tingtalingting" Sound. And also cripples the wireless mouse which is also plugged in the back panel. But if in the front. No problem at all with the sound or the mouse ????. ???

- If someone has an answer. please send some info.
- Oh... almost forgot. I'm running windows 8 on this one.. ???

Thanks
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 9:04:34 AM

- Advise all to check the Wifi and Bluetooth Module. (the separate one that we had to screw on ourselves...)
- After typing my first reply, I had a strange feeling that something was wrong with the Wifi & Bluetooth module?????.. So decided take it out and have a look.
- What I found was that some of the pins on the sides were burnt!!!!!!... Something Definitively wrong there.!!!!
- But is it the culprit ???? I don't know. But after turning on the computer and plugging everything in the back panel (audio and wireless keyboard) Everything works fine...

- Try it out guys. .
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 9:35:46 AM

Kongo said:
- Advise all to check the Wifi and Bluetooth Module. (the separate one that we had to screw on ourselves...)
- After typing my first reply, I had a strange feeling that something was wrong with the Wifi & Bluetooth module?????.. So decided take it out and have a look.
- What I found was that some of the pins on the sides were burnt!!!!!!... Something Definitively wrong there.!!!!
- But is it the culprit ???? I don't know. But after turning on the computer and plugging everything in the back panel (audio and wireless keyboard) Everything works fine...

- Try it out guys. .


Thanks, I will try this out tomorrow. Did you reinsert the bluetooth module afterwards?
m
0
l
March 2, 2013 12:12:36 PM

NO... I believe its already damaged.. Might try to claim for it .... but I don't use the module often.
m
0
l
March 4, 2013 4:43:43 AM

So, I took the motherboard out and it the WIFI module looked fine but I left it out anyways to test the sound and the issue is still there unfortunately.
m
0
l
March 4, 2013 11:03:20 AM

Darn....it seemed to work for me..

Sorry that I couldn't be of help...

Well, If anyone else out there has answers. Please send info.....
m
0
l
March 19, 2013 5:10:00 AM

Small bump as it's still an issue. I'm considering buying a dedicated sound card. That should indirectly resolve the problem?
m
0
l
a c 100 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
March 19, 2013 5:28:21 AM

Check for a driver update on the ASUS website and the sound vendor website. If there is a newer version update the drivers and see if it persists.

If that does not help, last debug would be to perform a a clean Windows install on a spare HDD for debugging purposes. Install the latest motherboard drivers and sound driver and see if you still get the problem. If you don't, it's some kind of software conflict. If you do, more likely a hardware issue.

-Raja
m
0
l
May 26, 2013 5:57:26 AM

I have got the same issue with the sound getting cut every few secconds with my 2.1 speakers on the back or front panel. However when I use my headphones there is no problem. I allready installed the newest drivers, did a bios update, installed new copy of windows 8 and 7, even installed a dedicated soundcard but it didnt solved it. Tho when the sound is cut for a long time and I turn my volume up and down of my speakers.. the sound returns again. Hopefully this will ring a bell for anyone :??: 
m
0
l
May 26, 2013 5:57:27 AM

I have got the same issue with the sound getting cut every few secconds with my 2.1 speakers on the back or front panel. However when I use my headphones there is no problem. I allready installed the newest drivers, did a bios update, installed new copy of windows 8 and 7, even installed a dedicated soundcard but it didnt solved it. Tho when the sound is cut for a long time and I turn my volume up and down of my speakers.. the sound returns again. Hopefully this will ring a bell for anyone :??: 
m
0
l
May 26, 2013 5:57:27 AM

I have got the same issue with the sound getting cut every few secconds with my 2.1 speakers on the back or front panel. However when I use my headphones there is no problem. I allready installed the newest drivers, did a bios update, installed new copy of windows 8 and 7, even installed a dedicated soundcard but it didnt solved it. Tho when the sound is cut for a long time and I turn my volume up and down of my speakers.. the sound returns again. Hopefully this will ring a bell for anyone :??: 
m
0
l
May 26, 2013 6:17:31 AM

If adjusting the volume dial on your speaker is fixing the issue, I would look into testing out new speakers to check if that's the problem. Sounds that way, especially since you said there were no problems with your heaphones when plugged into the same ports as your speakers.

As a note, I never resolved this issue. Ended up buying an external DAC (sound card) to bypass the motherboard audio.
m
0
l
May 28, 2013 6:53:38 AM

raja@asus said:
Check for a driver update on the ASUS website and the sound vendor website. If there is a newer version update the drivers and see if it persists.

If that does not help, last debug would be to perform a a clean Windows install on a spare HDD for debugging purposes. Install the latest motherboard drivers and sound driver and see if you still get the problem. If you don't, it's some kind of software conflict. If you do, more likely a hardware issue.

-Raja


Johntorie said:
I have got the same issue with the sound getting cut every few secconds with my 2.1 speakers on the back or front panel. However when I use my headphones there is no problem. I allready installed the newest drivers, did a bios update, installed new copy of windows 8 and 7, even installed a dedicated soundcard but it didnt solved it. Tho when the sound is cut for a long time and I turn my volume up and down of my speakers.. the sound returns again. Hopefully this will ring a bell for anyone :??: 


everybest said:
If adjusting the volume dial on your speaker is fixing the issue, I would look into testing out new speakers to check if that's the problem. Sounds that way, especially since you said there were no problems with your heaphones when plugged into the same ports as your speakers.

As a note, I never resolved this issue. Ended up buying an external DAC (sound card) to bypass the motherboard audio.



Hi-Kongo Again..

Ref : Same problems but with windows 8 Pro.

- Interesting. At first I thought it was my damaged wifi module that was causing this, (I got a return and plugged in the new one) but when I re-installed windows last week. and found that my audio was having the disconnecting problem again and my mouse was having hickups and stalled all the time.!!!!!! (back to square one)

- I eventually tried Rajas' advice and here are the results.

1. On my first try, I made a clean install on everything and updated the drivers.... but the problem with Audio was still there. (always disconnecting and my USB wireless mouse was not functioning properly..)

2. On the second try, I made another clean install and Updated the drivers.. and then allowed windows to update itself ... The problems still remained.

3. On my 3rd try.....(Almost gave up and was deciding to buy a new board and go back to windows 7!!!!! ) I made another clean install but this time allowed windows 8 to update itself several times (took me 1-2 days!!! after work) and then went into the Asus website to download the latest drivers ( I mean all of them, but some didn't install such as Lucid-Virtu.....)
- Somehow I noticed that there was a new driver for the Intel Management Engine Interface (Intel ME) which was not recently in the drivers list ?????? In the info section it says that it was "for updating to version 8.1 and. (require version 8 to be installed) ...and specifies that this is required for windows 8 compatibility.!!!!!!!....
- So.... When trying to install Intel (ME) Update at the first time was not successful.!!!! kept rejecting saying Incomplete Installation.....#@!- something was wrong and so I checked my device manager for the item and found that it was already updated to Intel (Me) ver 9.0.0.1287. (Must have installed itself from windows updates....)

-Anyway, after installing all of the drivers from the ASUS website...Everything was fixed !!!!!!!!!!.... My Audio was back to normal... and my mouse was functioning perfectly. IT REALLY WAS A DRIVERS PROBLEM......

-Many thanks for your advice. It seem that this board was not really FULLY compatible to windows 8 at the time of purchase....

- Try it out people... Don't give up.... ;) 
m
0
l
a c 151 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 28, 2013 7:05:05 AM

You should not ever let windows update your drivers. I have been burned several times like that. All the latest drivers are on the manufacturer's web site.
m
0
l
June 1, 2013 6:28:04 PM

Kongo said:
raja@asus said:
Check for a driver update on the ASUS website and the sound vendor website. If there is a newer version update the drivers and see if it persists.

If that does not help, last debug would be to perform a a clean Windows install on a spare HDD for debugging purposes. Install the latest motherboard drivers and sound driver and see if you still get the problem. If you don't, it's some kind of software conflict. If you do, more likely a hardware issue.

-Raja


Johntorie said:
I have got the same issue with the sound getting cut every few secconds with my 2.1 speakers on the back or front panel. However when I use my headphones there is no problem. I allready installed the newest drivers, did a bios update, installed new copy of windows 8 and 7, even installed a dedicated soundcard but it didnt solved it. Tho when the sound is cut for a long time and I turn my volume up and down of my speakers.. the sound returns again. Hopefully this will ring a bell for anyone :??: 


everybest said:
If adjusting the volume dial on your speaker is fixing the issue, I would look into testing out new speakers to check if that's the problem. Sounds that way, especially since you said there were no problems with your heaphones when plugged into the same ports as your speakers.

As a note, I never resolved this issue. Ended up buying an external DAC (sound card) to bypass the motherboard audio.



Hi-Kongo Again..

Ref : Same problems but with windows 8 Pro.

- Interesting. At first I thought it was my damaged wifi module that was causing this, (I got a return and plugged in the new one) but when I re-installed windows last week. and found that my audio was having the disconnecting problem again and my mouse was having hickups and stalled all the time.!!!!!! (back to square one)

- I eventually tried Rajas' advice and here are the results.

1. On my first try, I made a clean install on everything and updated the drivers.... but the problem with Audio was still there. (always disconnecting and my USB wireless mouse was not functioning properly..)

2. On the second try, I made another clean install and Updated the drivers.. and then allowed windows to update itself ... The problems still remained.

3. On my 3rd try.....(Almost gave up and was deciding to buy a new board and go back to windows 7!!!!! ) I made another clean install but this time allowed windows 8 to update itself several times (took me 1-2 days!!! after work) and then went into the Asus website to download the latest drivers ( I mean all of them, but some didn't install such as Lucid-Virtu.....)
- Somehow I noticed that there was a new driver for the Intel Management Engine Interface (Intel ME) which was not recently in the drivers list ?????? In the info section it says that it was "for updating to version 8.1 and. (require version 8 to be installed) ...and specifies that this is required for windows 8 compatibility.!!!!!!!....
- So.... When trying to install Intel (ME) Update at the first time was not successful.!!!! kept rejecting saying Incomplete Installation.....#@!- something was wrong and so I checked my device manager for the item and found that it was already updated to Intel (Me) ver 9.0.0.1287. (Must have installed itself from windows updates....)

-Anyway, after installing all of the drivers from the ASUS website...Everything was fixed !!!!!!!!!!.... My Audio was back to normal... and my mouse was functioning perfectly. IT REALLY WAS A DRIVERS PROBLEM......

-Many thanks for your advice. It seem that this board was not really FULLY compatible to windows 8 at the time of purchase....

- Try it out people... Don't give up.... ;) 


m
0
l
June 1, 2013 6:32:13 PM

I have the same sound cuts out intermittently and I get a pop-up saying I unplugged something. I know for a fact my Logitech 5.1 speakers are not defective because they worked perfectly fine in another PC. I have the latest drivers from Asus installed and that does not solve the issue. I hope we find an answer soon.
m
0
l
June 1, 2013 6:45:57 PM

G2Smooth said:
I have the same sound cuts out intermittently and I get a pop-up saying I unplugged something. I know for a fact my Logitech 5.1 speakers are not defective because they worked perfectly fine in another PC. I have the latest drivers from Asus installed and that does not solve the issue. I hope we find an answer soon.

So, I've stopped trying to find a solution now that I've bypassed the motherboard's audio output, but I find that I still get the pop-ups saying I unplugged something. That goes away when I force close the HD Audio Manager or whatever that software is running in the system tray. You could try closing that program and seeing if the problem still occurs, if so, uninstalling it completely (or updating it).
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 1, 2013 7:20:54 PM

There are two options in the bios for audio - Azalia (HD) and AC97 (stereo) or similar
You can only have one or the other enabled, not both.

You already have the HD audio installed so disable the AC97 option in the bios.
m
0
l

Best solution

June 9, 2013 7:52:26 PM

I gave up trying to figure out what was wrong with the onboard sound. I got a Sound Blaster Z and couldn't be happier. Asus and Realtek missed the boat on that one and needs to fins a fix for it.
Share
February 24, 2014 1:13:15 PM

Latest drivers & bios = No solution
User selectable settings = No solution
Solution 1 = Disconnect front audio cable from motherboard.
Solution 2 = Install audio card.

If you need front i/o you will need to purchase sound card. Do not buy an Asus sound card. They are making a push into audio and I don't believe in coincidences. Sabotaging onboard sound creates aftermarket demand. I will not purchase another Asus MB (or Asrock).
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2014 5:14:35 PM

AIIThatJazz said:
Latest drivers & bios = No solution
User selectable settings = No solution
Solution 1 = Disconnect front audio cable from motherboard.
Solution 2 = Install audio card.

If you need front i/o you will need to purchase sound card. Do not buy an Asus sound card. They are making a push into audio and I don't believe in coincidences. Sabotaging onboard sound creates aftermarket demand. I will not purchase another Asus MB (or Asrock).

I call tinfoil hat at one that one. Never had a sound problem (that couldn't be fixed with drivers) with Asus or Asrock
I sincerely doubt it is defective deliberately -- that is absurd (something Nvidia would do LOL)
m
0
l
March 1, 2014 11:40:54 AM

AIIThatJazz said:
Latest drivers & bios = No solution
User selectable settings = No solution
Solution 1 = Disconnect front audio cable from motherboard.
Solution 2 = Install audio card.

If you need front i/o you will need to purchase sound card. Do not buy an Asus sound card. They are making a push into audio and I don't believe in coincidences. Sabotaging onboard sound creates aftermarket demand. I will not purchase another Asus MB (or Asrock).


Was just looking to see if anyone has found a solution on this. Don't know about you guys - but mine will work ok, for maybe a day and then I start getting the random popping noise in the speakers. Either from the 3.5 or the optical out I have going to my receiver. Tried disabling any audio options not in use, old drivers, new drivers, drivers from Realtek - seems like the best one is Asus' latest, the 6699 but it is frustrating having to reboot daily.

This is supposed to be a high end board. Not sure if anyone has pinged Asus support - I am going to and I will reference this thread. However, my experience with them last time when they corrupted my NTFS system was not good.. basically they said sorry. I think they may have corrected this but in past BIOS updates they would reset your BIOS to AHCI. I was running a RAID set and using Win junction points.. caused a lot of issues and I lost some data. Good times.

Sorry - forgot to mention - I have not tried disconnecting the front audio cable. May try that as I don't really use the front... but tempted to just buy a new sound card.
m
0
l
March 24, 2014 1:12:52 PM

smeezekitty said:
AIIThatJazz said:
Latest drivers & bios = No solution
User selectable settings = No solution
Solution 1 = Disconnect front audio cable from motherboard.
Solution 2 = Install audio card.

If you need front i/o you will need to purchase sound card. Do not buy an Asus sound card. They are making a push into audio and I don't believe in coincidences. Sabotaging onboard sound creates aftermarket demand. I will not purchase another Asus MB (or Asrock).

I call tinfoil hat at one that one. Never had a sound problem (that couldn't be fixed with drivers) with Asus or Asrock
I sincerely doubt it is defective deliberately -- that is absurd (something Nvidia would do LOL)


Tinfoil hat???......lol.....who cares though. Asus screwed up now I gotta pay for it....OK, I'll play, NO MORE ASUS IN MY HOME OR OFFICE. Already got Amazon to take 6 monitors back.

ATJ

m
0
l
March 24, 2014 1:23:29 PM

TabernacST said:
AIIThatJazz said:
Latest drivers & bios = No solution
User selectable settings = No solution
Solution 1 = Disconnect front audio cable from motherboard.
Solution 2 = Install audio card.

If you need front i/o you will need to purchase sound card. Do not buy an Asus sound card. They are making a push into audio and I don't believe in coincidences. Sabotaging onboard sound creates aftermarket demand. I will not purchase another Asus MB (or Asrock).


Was just looking to see if anyone has found a solution on this. Don't know about you guys - but mine will work ok, for maybe a day and then I start getting the random popping noise in the speakers. Either from the 3.5 or the optical out I have going to my receiver. Tried disabling any audio options not in use, old drivers, new drivers, drivers from Realtek - seems like the best one is Asus' latest, the 6699 but it is frustrating having to reboot daily.

This is supposed to be a high end board. Not sure if anyone has pinged Asus support - I am going to and I will reference this thread. However, my experience with them last time when they corrupted my NTFS system was not good.. basically they said sorry. I think they may have corrected this but in past BIOS updates they would reset your BIOS to AHCI. I was running a RAID set and using Win junction points.. caused a lot of issues and I lost some data. Good times.

Sorry - forgot to mention - I have not tried disconnecting the front audio cable. May try that as I don't really use the front... but tempted to just buy a new sound card.


I bought a Creative Z and am very happy with the software(shockingly) / features. If you keep onboard and wan't ez headphone jack just disconnect front from MB and run a line to the back Headphone jack if you need to.
m
0
l
March 24, 2014 1:25:59 PM

G2Smooth said:
Kongo said:
raja@asus said:
Check for a driver update on the ASUS website and the sound vendor website. If there is a newer version update the drivers and see if it persists.

If that does not help, last debug would be to perform a a clean Windows install on a spare HDD for debugging purposes. Install the latest motherboard drivers and sound driver and see if you still get the problem. If you don't, it's some kind of software conflict. If you do, more likely a hardware issue.

-Raja


Johntorie said:
I have got the same issue with the sound getting cut every few secconds with my 2.1 speakers on the back or front panel. However when I use my headphones there is no problem. I allready installed the newest drivers, did a bios update, installed new copy of windows 8 and 7, even installed a dedicated soundcard but it didnt solved it. Tho when the sound is cut for a long time and I turn my volume up and down of my speakers.. the sound returns again. Hopefully this will ring a bell for anyone :??: 


everybest said:
If adjusting the volume dial on your speaker is fixing the issue, I would look into testing out new speakers to check if that's the problem. Sounds that way, especially since you said there were no problems with your heaphones when plugged into the same ports as your speakers.

As a note, I never resolved this issue. Ended up buying an external DAC (sound card) to bypass the motherboard audio.



Hi-Kongo Again..

Ref : Same problems but with windows 8 Pro.

- Interesting. At first I thought it was my damaged wifi module that was causing this, (I got a return and plugged in the new one) but when I re-installed windows last week. and found that my audio was having the disconnecting problem again and my mouse was having hickups and stalled all the time.!!!!!! (back to square one)

- I eventually tried Rajas' advice and here are the results.

1. On my first try, I made a clean install on everything and updated the drivers.... but the problem with Audio was still there. (always disconnecting and my USB wireless mouse was not functioning properly..)

2. On the second try, I made another clean install and Updated the drivers.. and then allowed windows to update itself ... The problems still remained.

3. On my 3rd try.....(Almost gave up and was deciding to buy a new board and go back to windows 7!!!!! ) I made another clean install but this time allowed windows 8 to update itself several times (took me 1-2 days!!! after work) and then went into the Asus website to download the latest drivers ( I mean all of them, but some didn't install such as Lucid-Virtu.....)
- Somehow I noticed that there was a new driver for the Intel Management Engine Interface (Intel ME) which was not recently in the drivers list ?????? In the info section it says that it was "for updating to version 8.1 and. (require version 8 to be installed) ...and specifies that this is required for windows 8 compatibility.!!!!!!!....
- So.... When trying to install Intel (ME) Update at the first time was not successful.!!!! kept rejecting saying Incomplete Installation.....#@!- something was wrong and so I checked my device manager for the item and found that it was already updated to Intel (Me) ver 9.0.0.1287. (Must have installed itself from windows updates....)

-Anyway, after installing all of the drivers from the ASUS website...Everything was fixed !!!!!!!!!!.... My Audio was back to normal... and my mouse was functioning perfectly. IT REALLY WAS A DRIVERS PROBLEM......

-Many thanks for your advice. It seem that this board was not really FULLY compatible to windows 8 at the time of purchase....

- Try it out people... Don't give up.... ;) 




That doesn't work long term.......you'll see.

ATJ
m
0
l
!