fleshy bits

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hey all,

Building an AMD based computer, but don't know what RAM I should go with.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7

CPU: Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition

GPU: XFX HD-697A-CNDC HD-6970

Just looking for 4x4GB, but seeing reviews of people having trouble with 1600 sticks on AMD systems, so I figured I should check in with a good knowledge base first before choosing a set.

Might as well go 955. The 980's pushing Microcenter's shockingly low 2500K price, and it won't give you much more than the lower-level one. If you're willing to spend that much, just go Intel. How much money do you have to work with for this whole thing?
1600 works.

I'm using 4x4 sticks of low-voltage G.Skill DDR3-1600 on my Asus Sabertooth. It would not recognize Corsair Vengeance as DDR3-1600, and would only run it at 1333; there's a reason G.Skill is my RAM of choice, it just works.
As Kajabla suggests, if you haven't already bought the AMD parts, you'll get better performance from Intel. Piledriver might surprise me and be what BD should have been, but I doubt that's the way to bet.

fleshy bits

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
I don't have a set price, just grabbing what I want as long as it works well and works well together (and doesn't break the bank. :eek: )

Thanks guys, that's all I needed to know. Keep up the good work. ;)