Video input quality - ATI 64 ddr vs. AIW Radeon

Diesel

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi, I'm trying to decide between these 2 cards for viewing TV on my computer... I thought i'd be able to bypass having the on-card tuner on the AIW by using my VCR to tune TV and then output the signal to the video inputs on a ATI 64 DDR... that way i could get what i want and also 64 ddr instead on the 32 ddr on the AIW for the same price... you see?

Anyways, i heard on some message board that the 64 ddr's video inputs are lower quality than the AIW Radeon's... whats the deal? I don't want to make the wrong choice and not be able to get what i want. thanks!

- Brian

DavidCPA

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
If your needs are greater for TV viewing, video editing, etc, I would go with the Radeon AIW. It has a wide range of connections (composite and s-video in/out, cable, etc) that allow it to be configured to your TV/VCR in number ways including audio in capabilities using the breakout box. It also provides very good gaming performance. I own this card.

If gaming is your thing and TV is a secondary consideration, it might be better to get the Radeon 64MB. It is cheaper and delivers slightly faster performance than the Radeon AIW (though not as much as you would think). You can only do composite in with this card. You will also need to wire the audio seperately to your sound card if you want to hear the TV.

I think you will be happy with either choice.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DavidCPA on 02/22/01 01:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>