Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GPU Pricing Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2011 12:42:05 PM

Hey all,

I purchased a Sapphire AMD 6950 2GB TOXIC recently for my new build. I'm planning on making a CF with a duplicate card. My question is, do cards stay on the market long enough to notice a decrease in cost - for example, will this card still be available for purchase once amd's 7000 series is out?

I want to make sure I get the card, currently they're out of stock most places.

Thanks in advance.

More about : gpu pricing question

a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 1:03:56 PM

When the new generation cards come out there will definitely be a price decrease across the board on the older cards, but how much is not really certain. Last I checked, AMD is still scheduled to release their mid range 7xxx cards in a month or two, with the higher end cards following a month or two after.
November 3, 2011 1:15:09 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I'm wondering if there's a chance my card will be discontinued by then. Because if so, I'd simply buy it now.

Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 1:18:25 PM

Nah, I doubt it will be discontinued when the 7xxx series come out. Do you need it now for extra performance? Or are you just thinking you will need a second one eventually?
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 1:34:59 PM

No dont worry about it, you should be able to grab one right after they drop in price once the 7000 series drops, sad thing is... is that they may not drop that much in the end you might be waiting several months to save 30 dollars so the choice is up to you but no matter what they will be available for a good while imo....

5850s just pretty much went off the market but you can still buy a gtx 460...

In fact I was considering a pair of them they have the asus dcIIs for $101
(open box) on newegg (likely sold out by now)

a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 1:41:36 PM

Also if you do find that they can not be found anymore that is usually a good time to resell your card and upgrade to the newer generation card (as many people will find themselves in the same boat as you and being unable to find new cards will be willing to spend a bit more on a used one in order to find that second card) -- so if at the time you need the upgrade they can still be found buy one -if they can not be found in retail try selling it and getting a new gen card with better performance.
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2011 1:43:10 PM

^exactly like how 5850s/70s are at a pretty high price level selling on ebay...
November 3, 2011 2:27:41 PM

Oh sweet. Good points guys. Regardless of what I choose, it seems it'll work out!

Thanks again.