Sign in with
Your question

Help choosing a good case

Last response: in Components
April 11, 2012 6:18:57 AM

I was planning to buy a totally new pc about 3 months ago using advice from everyone here as I haven't built a PC in a long, long time, but I decided to wait for the Ivy Bridge i7 and the GTX 680. I'm going to have great components, dropping about $2500 on the initial build, but I need an awesome Full Tower case.
Here's the catch... I want to stay with air cooling.
I'm going to drop another GTX 680 in the thing for SLI the month after I put it together, plus I will be sticking with SSD so I need quite a few drive bays. Yes, I know its not very cost efficient, but I want to. I'll expand over time. Sometimes things get stuck in your head and you want to do it no matter what.
Needs to be pci-e 3.0 native and have room for a large CPU cooler, as I will be overclocking. I dont care where the PSU goes as long as its not in the middle of the case. :)  I haven't chosen the mobo yet because I want to wait until Ivy actually releases, though it will be an ATX.
I was initially considering the Cosmos 2, but as it is $350 I was wondering if anyone had any other option for me from your experiences? Haf X maybe? I've done research, but basically what I've noticed is that water cooled gets a lot more air time that air cooled. So I seek advice.

More about : choosing good case

a c 111 ) Power supply
April 11, 2012 6:53:54 AM

NZXT Switch 810 (I really suggest this one for your needs)
Corsair 650D
Corsair 600T
Bitfenix Shinobi XL
CM Storm Trooper
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 11, 2012 9:37:58 AM

etrigan3774 said:
I was planning to buy a totally new pc about 3 months ago using advice from everyone here as I haven't built a PC in a long, long time, but I decided to wait for the Ivy Bridge i7 and the GTX 680. I'm going to have great components, dropping about $2500 on the initial build, but I need an awesome Full Tower case.
Here's the catch... I want to stay with air cooling.
I'm going to drop another GTX 680 in the thing for SLI the month after I put it together, plus I will be sticking with SSD so I need quite a few drive bays. Yes, I know its not very cost efficient, but I want to. I'll expand over time. Sometimes things get stuck in your head and you want to do it no matter what.
Needs to be pci-e 3.0 native and have room for a large CPU cooler, as I will be overclocking. I dont care where the PSU goes as long as its not in the middle of the case. :)  I haven't chosen the mobo yet because I want to wait until Ivy actually releases, though it will be an ATX.
I was initially considering the Cosmos 2, but as it is $350 I was wondering if anyone had any other option for me from your experiences? Haf X maybe? I've done research, but basically what I've noticed is that water cooled gets a lot more air time that air cooled. So I seek advice.

For that price and all those beautiful new components there can be only one case, the worlds best Air cooling and stunningly good looking case...

Silverstone SST-FT02B-W USB 3.0 Fortress Full Tower Aluminium Window Chassis - http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=242&area=...

Here take a look at mine, and i have the huge Be Quiet Dark Rock PRO COU cooler in there...
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
April 11, 2012 10:27:11 AM

the silverstone looks nice , surprisingly , as I'm not a big fan of there other offerings . The switch 810 got good reviews for design but there's alot of plastic there . The lian li pc-a 70f is good for the price but I'm not sure on the native usb 3.0 . http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... good luck with your decision .. youtube is your friend :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 11, 2012 10:29:34 AM

but switch has too much plastic :( 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 11, 2012 9:17:38 PM

the raider looks good . not sure how the others would fare in the air cooling capacity ..
m
l
April 11, 2012 9:29:20 PM

if i had your budget i'd have the raider already...
m
l
!