When The MPAA Sues People

Archived from groups: alt.tv.real-world,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.fan.howard-stern (More info?)

Ok I pay $50 a month for broadband internet, the internet I use is
Road Runner, Road Runner is this cartoon character that is in Warner
Brothers cartoons. So Warner Brothers already gets $50 from me every
month, and they want me to pay extra to download a movie?

They sell us the high speed internet and than get mad at us for using
it.

Screw them, Road Runner should offer every song put out on the Warner
Brothers record label to be downloaded for free, they should also let
every movie they release to be downloaded for free. It's not actually
free you're paying $50 a month, they should just let you download it
without fear of being sued.

Impression of the MPAA "Hey those people would never buy our product
but they would look at it for free, it's not like we're losing any
money because the only way they would look at our product is if they
did it for free, hey we have over $100 billion we should sue this guy
that makes $15 an hour, we're money hungry idiots, aka SUITS we wear
suits and we do what we are told, we are brainwashed fools"

--
Ladies Love Cool Names

"L.L. Cool Names" <llcool@names.net> wrote in message
> Ok I pay $50 a month for broadband internet, the internet I use is
> Road Runner, Road Runner is this cartoon character that is in Warner
> Brothers cartoons. So Warner Brothers already gets $50 from me every
> month, and they want me to pay extra to download a movie?
>
> They sell us the high speed internet and than get mad at us for using
> it.

How is charging you for downloading a movie "getting mad" at you for using
it? If you don't want to use the service, don't use it. If you want the
service, you should pay for it.

> Screw them, Road Runner should offer every song put out on the Warner
> Brothers record label to be downloaded for free, they should also let
> every movie they release to be downloaded for free. It's not actually
> free you're paying $50 a month, they should just let you download it
> without fear of being sued.

Good idea! By the way, where do you work? Because perhaps your business
should put its goods and services out for free too. But, if they were free,
your company would not be making any money, and then you would be out of a
job, right? If you don't think that you should be forced to give the fruits
of your labor away for free, why should anyone else?

> Impression of the MPAA "Hey those people would never buy our product
> but they would look at it for free, it's not like we're losing any
> money because the only way they would look at our product is if they
> did it for free, hey we have over $100 billion we should sue this guy
> that makes $15 an hour, we're money hungry idiots, aka SUITS we wear
> suits and we do what we are told, we are brainwashed fools"

The MPAA isn't perfect, but there is a sound reason behind it. An artist
who makes a movie, an album, or whatever should expect to be compensated for
his or her efforts. The argument that "they aren't losing money by piracy
because I wasn't planning to buy it anyway" doesn't carry any weight. I
can't afford to buy a Ferrari, and I'm not planning to buy one, but if the
opportunity arose, it would be okay for me to steal one? After all, I
wasn't planning on buying it, so they aren't losing money, right?

And yes, I realize there are differences between physical property and
intellectual property, but your argument fails on both accounts. Do you
only download movies you hate and albums you don't want to listen to? Of
course not! If you download it, you obviously ARE interested in the
product...you just aren't willing to pay the money they are asking for. So
what would you be willing to pay? $1 a movie? $5 a movie? 99 cents per
song? If you aren't willing to pay the asking price, no one is forcing you
to do so. If people stopped buying the albums and movies because they were
too expensive, and they didn't otherwise pirate them, the company would
either lower the price or stop peddling goods that no one wants.

Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.tv.real-world,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.fan.howard-stern (More info?)

Android spake and...

"The MPAA isn't perfect, but there is a sound reason behind it. An
artist
who makes a movie, an album, or whatever should expect to be
compensated for
his or her efforts. The argument that "they aren't losing money by
piracy
because I wasn't planning to buy it anyway" doesn't carry any weight.
can't afford to buy a Ferrari, and I'm not planning to buy one, but if
the
opportunity arose, it would be okay for me to steal one? After all, I
wasn't planning on buying it, so they aren't losing money, right? "

That's a bogus argument, because stealing the Ferrari physically
prevents it from falling into the hands of someone who would buy it. A
more cogent argument would be... you see a Ferrari and although you
can't afford it and don't intend on buying it, you take a digital
picture of said Ferrari. You pass said digital picture of the car
around to all your friends, then get sued for violating copyright.

You didn't take the car, you didn't prevent someone with cash in hand
from buying the car, the original owner still has the car. But you're
on the hook anyway.

You can't take real-world theft laws and translate them into a digital
environment.

- Jordan

Archived from groups: alt.tv.real-world,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.fan.howard-stern (More info?)

"L.L. Cool Names" <llcool@names.net> wrote...
> Ok I pay $50 a month for broadband internet, the internet I use is
> Road Runner, Road Runner is this cartoon character that is in Warner
> Brothers cartoons. So Warner Brothers already gets $50 from me every
> month, and they want me to pay extra to download a movie?
>
> They sell us the high speed internet and than get mad at us for using
> it.
>
> Screw them, Road Runner should offer every song put out on the Warner
> Brothers record label to be downloaded for free, they should also let
> every movie they release to be downloaded for free. It's not actually
> free you're paying $50 a month, they should just let you download it
> without fear of being sued.
>
> Impression of the MPAA "Hey those people would never buy our product
> but they would look at it for free, it's not like we're losing any
> money because the only way they would look at our product is if they
> did it for free, hey we have over $100 billion we should sue this guy
> that makes $15 an hour, we're money hungry idiots, aka SUITS we wear
> suits and we do what we are told, we are brainwashed fools"

I admit it, I do mark ever so much for Bizarro Logic.

"Me am on Road Runner. Me am Download"

Archived from groups: alt.tv.real-world,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.fan.howard-stern (More info?)

There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and "Android"
<androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:09:28 -0700 this
person wrote:

>"L.L. Cool Names" <llcool@names.net> wrote in message
>> Ok I pay $50 a month for broadband internet, the internet I use is
>> Road Runner, Road Runner is this cartoon character that is in Warner
>> Brothers cartoons. So Warner Brothers already gets $50 from me every
>> month, and they want me to pay extra to download a movie?
>>
>> They sell us the high speed internet and than get mad at us for using
>> it.
>
>How is charging you for downloading a movie "getting mad" at you for using
>it? If you don't want to use the service, don't use it. If you want the
>service, you should pay for it.

I do pay for it, $50 a month. I guess people want broad band just so
they can go to a web page and have it load fast? No people pay $50 a
month for broadband to download stuff, if I didn't want to download
stuff and only wanted to look at web pages I'd pay $10 a month for
netzero or some other cheap ISP.

--
Ladies Love Cool Names

Archived from groups: alt.tv.real-world,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.fan.howard-stern (More info?)

There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and "Jordan"
<lundj@earthlink.net> On 2 Jun 2005 16:22:12 -0700 this person wrote:

>That's a bogus argument, because stealing the Ferrari physically
>prevents it from falling into the hands of someone who would buy it

You see how your argument is really bad? I mean a cd costs me about 1
penny to buy, see? See the difference, if I can buy a cd for one
penny, I'm sure the company that sells cd's to me gets it for even
cheaper than 1 penny. So they have these cds and they get about 100
for 1 penny, than they sell one to us for $10-15.

So I guess you're saying it's ok to be ripped off but not rip off the
people that are ripping you off?

Double standards, why don't you just go kiss some ass you corporate
ass licker.

--
Ladies Love Cool Names

Archived from groups: alt.tv.real-world,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.fan.howard-stern (More info?)

There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and "Jordan"
<lundj@earthlink.net> On 2 Jun 2005 16:22:12 -0700 this person wrote:

>You can't take real-world theft laws and translate them into a digital
>environment.

EXACTLY

--
Ladies Love Cool Names

robin

Archived from groups: alt.tv.real-world,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.fan.howard-stern (More info?)

"L.L. Cool Names" <llcool@names.net> wrote in message
> Ok I pay $50 a month for broadband internet, the internet
> I use is
> Road Runner, Road Runner is this cartoon character that is
> in Warner
> Brothers cartoons. So Warner Brothers already gets $50
> from me every
> month, and they want me to pay extra to download a movie?
>
> They sell us the high speed internet and than get mad at
> us for using
> it.
>
> Screw them, Road Runner should offer every song put out on
> the Warner
> Brothers record label to be downloaded for free, they
> should also let
> every movie they release to be downloaded for free. It's
> not actually
> free you're paying $50 a month, they should just let you
> download it
> without fear of being sued.
>
> Impression of the MPAA "Hey those people would never buy
> our product
> but they would look at it for free, it's not like we're
> losing any
> money because the only way they would look at our product
> is if they
> did it for free, hey we have over $100 billion we should
> sue this guy
> that makes $15 an hour, we're money hungry idiots, aka
> SUITS we wear
> suits and we do what we are told, we are brainwashed
> fools"

You sure do make up alot of excuses for your habit of
stealing things.

> --
> Ladies Love Cool Names

Archived from groups: alt.tv.real-world,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.fan.howard-stern (More info?)

L.L. Cool Names <llcool@names.net> wrote in

> Ok I pay $50 a month for broadband internet, the internet I use is
> Road Runner, Road Runner is this cartoon character that is in Warner
> Brothers cartoons. So Warner Brothers already gets $50 from me every
> month, and they want me to pay extra to download a movie?
>
> They sell us the high speed internet and than get mad at us for using
> it.
>
> Screw them, Road Runner should offer every song put out on the Warner
> Brothers record label to be downloaded for free, they should also let
> every movie they release to be downloaded for free. It's not actually
> free you're paying $50 a month, they should just let you download it
> without fear of being sued.
>
> Impression of the MPAA "Hey those people would never buy our product
> but they would look at it for free, it's not like we're losing any
> money because the only way they would look at our product is if they
> did it for free, hey we have over $100 billion we should sue this guy
> that makes $15 an hour, we're money hungry idiots, aka SUITS we wear
> suits and we do what we are told, we are brainwashed fools"

What if you're unemployeed like Chad Bryant and have never made more
then $5 an hour?

Archived from groups: alt.tv.real-world,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.fan.howard-stern (More info?)

There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and Archived Chad
<ChadCantHide@underthebed.com> On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 23:05:05 -0000 this
person wrote:

>L.L. Cool Names <llcool@names.net> wrote in
>
>> Ok I pay $50 a month for broadband internet, the internet I use is
>> Road Runner, Road Runner is this cartoon character that is in Warner
>> Brothers cartoons. So Warner Brothers already gets $50 from me every
>> month, and they want me to pay extra to download a movie?
>>
>> They sell us the high speed internet and than get mad at us for using
>> it.
>>
>> Screw them, Road Runner should offer every song put out on the Warner
>> Brothers record label to be downloaded for free, they should also let
>> every movie they release to be downloaded for free. It's not actually
>> free you're paying $50 a month, they should just let you download it
>> without fear of being sued.
>>
>> Impression of the MPAA "Hey those people would never buy our product
>> but they would look at it for free, it's not like we're losing any
>> money because the only way they would look at our product is if they
>> did it for free, hey we have over $100 billion we should sue this guy
>> that makes $15 an hour, we're money hungry idiots, aka SUITS we wear
>> suits and we do what we are told, we are brainwashed fools"
>
>What if you're unemployeed like Chad Bryant and have never made more
>then $5 an hour?

Than you'll live in your parents basement and troll usenet.

--
Ladies Love Cool Names

> There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and "Jordan"
> <lundj@earthlink.net> On 2 Jun 2005 16:22:12 -0700 this person wrote:
>

>>That's a bogus argument, because stealing the Ferrari physically
>>prevents it from falling into the hands of someone who would buy it
>
> You see how your argument is really bad? I mean a cd costs me about 1
> penny to buy, see? See the difference, if I can buy a cd for one
> penny, I'm sure the company that sells cd's to me gets it for even
> cheaper than 1 penny. So they have these cds and they get about 100
> for 1 penny, than they sell one to us for $10-15.
>
> So I guess you're saying it's ok to be ripped off but not rip off the
> people that are ripping you off?
>
> Double standards, why don't you just go kiss some ass you corporate
> ass licker.

Bravo, bravo!!!

> There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and Archived Chad
> <ChadCantHide@underthebed.com> On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 23:05:05 -0000 this
> person wrote:
>
> >L.L. Cool Names <llcool@names.net> wrote in
> >
> >> Ok I pay $50 a month for broadband internet, the internet I use is
> >> Road Runner, Road Runner is this cartoon character that is in Warner
> >> Brothers cartoons. So Warner Brothers already gets $50 from me every
> >> month, and they want me to pay extra to download a movie?
> >>
> >> They sell us the high speed internet and than get mad at us for using
> >> it.
> >>
> >> Screw them, Road Runner should offer every song put out on the Warner
> >> Brothers record label to be downloaded for free, they should also let
> >> every movie they release to be downloaded for free. It's not actually
> >> free you're paying $50 a month, they should just let you download it
> >> without fear of being sued.
> >>
> >> Impression of the MPAA "Hey those people would never buy our product
> >> but they would look at it for free, it's not like we're losing any
> >> money because the only way they would look at our product is if they
> >> did it for free, hey we have over $100 billion we should sue this guy
> >> that makes $15 an hour, we're money hungry idiots, aka SUITS we wear
> >> suits and we do what we are told, we are brainwashed fools"
> >
> >What if you're unemployeed like Chad Bryant and have never made more
> >then $5 an hour?
>
> Than you'll live in your parents basement and troll usenet.
>
> --
> Ladies Love Cool Names

Yeah this coming from the guy who says he's 78, living in his parents
basement.

Leaky Labs Test Tube strikes again.

robin

Archived from groups: alt.tv.real-world,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.fan.howard-stern (More info?)

"L.L. Cool Names" <llcool@names.net> wrote in message
> There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and
> Archived Chad
>>
>>What if you're unemployeed like Chad Bryant and have never
>>made more
>>then $5 an hour?
>
> Than you'll live in your parents basement and troll
> usenet.
>
> --
> Ladies Love Cool Names

And there you have it folks, straight from the troll's
keyboard.

Archived from groups: alt.tv.real-world,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.fan.howard-stern (More info?)

There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and "Robin"
<robinandtami@nospam.com> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 03:02:18 GMT this person
wrote:

>"L.L. Cool Names" <llcool@names.net> wrote in message
>> There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and
>> Archived Chad
>>>
>>>What if you're unemployeed like Chad Bryant and have never
>>>made more
>>>then $5 an hour?
>>
>> Than you'll live in your parents basement and troll
>> usenet.
>>
>> --
>> Ladies Love Cool Names
>

>And there you have it folks, straight from the troll's
>keyboard.

Says the stupid bitch.

--
Ladies Love Cool Names

robin

> There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and
> "Android"
> <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005
> 16:09:28 -0700 this
> person wrote:
>

>>"L.L. Cool Names" <llcool@names.net> wrote in message
>>> Ok I pay $50 a month for broadband internet, the
>>> internet I use is
>>> Road Runner, Road Runner is this cartoon character that
>>> is in Warner
>>> Brothers cartoons. So Warner Brothers already gets $50
>>> from me every
>>> month, and they want me to pay extra to download a
>>> movie?
>>>
>>> They sell us the high speed internet and than get mad at
>>> us for using
>>> it.
>>
>>How is charging you for downloading a movie "getting mad"
>>at you for using
>>it? If you don't want to use the service, don't use it.
>>If you want the
>>service, you should pay for it.
>

> I do pay for it, $50 a month. I guess people want broad
> band just so
> they can go to a web page and have it load fast? No
> people pay $50 a
> month for broadband to download stuff, if I didn't want to
> download
> stuff and only wanted to look at web pages I'd pay $10 a
> month for
> netzero or some other cheap ISP.
>
> --
> Ladies Love Cool Names

Honest people pay for broadband for the convenience of never
having to dial up, to play games, and to download
legitimately free files or files that they have actually
paid for. The $50 you pay to your ISP does nothing to
compensate all of the other people you rip off, like that
bootleg copy of photoshop that you were too ignorant to
figure out how to install.

<robinandtami@nospam.com> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 03:05:37 GMT this person
wrote:

>Honest people pay for broadband f

I got this far, learn to be less boring, bitch.

--
Ladies Love Cool Names

robin

"L.L. Cool Names" <llcool@names.not> wrote in message
> There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and
> "Robin"
> <robinandtami@nospam.com> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 03:05:37 GMT
> this person
> wrote:
>
>>Honest people pay for broadband f
>
> I got this far, learn to be less boring, bitch.
>
> --
> Ladies Love Cool Names

Don't you have some really bad photo editing to do? Well I
assume they are all bad, I only looked at one and it was so
lousy I couldn't look at anymore.

<robinandtami@nospam.com> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 03:20:21 GMT this person
wrote:

>Don't you have

I GOT THIS FAR.

--
Ladies Love Cool Names

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Android spake and...
>
> "The MPAA isn't perfect, but there is a sound reason behind it. An
> artist
> who makes a movie, an album, or whatever should expect to be
> compensated for
> his or her efforts. The argument that "they aren't losing money by
> piracy
> because I wasn't planning to buy it anyway" doesn't carry any weight.
> can't afford to buy a Ferrari, and I'm not planning to buy one, but if
> the
> opportunity arose, it would be okay for me to steal one? After all, I
> wasn't planning on buying it, so they aren't losing money, right? "
>
> That's a bogus argument, because stealing the Ferrari physically
> prevents it from falling into the hands of someone who would buy it. A
> more cogent argument would be... you see a Ferrari and although you
> can't afford it and don't intend on buying it, you take a digital
> picture of said Ferrari. You pass said digital picture of the car
> around to all your friends, then get sued for violating copyright.

A more cogent argument? When you take a picture of the Ferrari, you aren't
taking the Ferrari. There is no copyright violation on a picture you took
of a Ferrari...unless the picture was the work of another photographer which
you stole and distributed without permission.

When you copy a game or a movie, what do you have? An "image" of a game or
movie that is not the game or movie itself? Of course not! You have the
"work of art" itself which is the subject of copyright. No one goes to the
store and buys a DVD for the plastic case and the coated disk--they're
buying the content of that disk..which is what you are stealing. It doesn't
matter if the content is "digital" and capable of being reproduced easily.

> You didn't take the car, you didn't prevent someone with cash in hand
> from buying the car, the original owner still has the car. But you're
> on the hook anyway.

No, you aren't on the hook, because this example has nothing to do with the
issue at hand. A picture of a Ferrari is not a Ferrari itself. A copy of a
movie or a game or an album *is* the movie, game, or album. And nowhere in
copyright law does it say that you have to prevent someone else from buying
an item, or that you have to "take" the item away from the copyright owner
to get in trouble. The image of Mickey Mouse is copyrighted. If I take
that image and put it on T-shirts and sell them, did I deprive Disney of the
character? They still have the character. Did I prevent someone from
buying a Disney brand T-shirt? No, Disney still sells their shirts. So
what have I done? I've used a creative work that doesn't belong to me
without the permission of the owner/creator.

> You can't take real-world theft laws and translate them into a digital
> environment.
>
> - Jordan

Of course you can. Copyright law is simple. In a nutshell, creators of
protective works are granted the rights to profit from their own work, and
can prevent others from reproducing, distributing, and using it. The choice
of media makes no difference in copyright law. Just because someone chooses
to make a :digital" version (PDF, .doc file, etc.) of a book they've
written, instead of printing it on paper and binding it, doesn't mean they
loose copyright protection for what they have written.

I guess I should know better than to argue with someone like L.L. Cool Names
who changes his online persona more than his underwear. Perhaps if he
actually created something of value, instead of leaching off society and
stealing the work of others, he would have more sympathy for copyright
holders protecting their interests. Ask an artist, a musician, a writer, or
a programmer what they think.

Archived from groups: alt.tv.real-world,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.fan.howard-stern (More info?)

"L.L. Cool Names" <llcool@names.net> wrote in message
> There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and "Jordan"
> <lundj@earthlink.net> On 2 Jun 2005 16:22:12 -0700 this person wrote:
>

> >That's a bogus argument, because stealing the Ferrari physically
> >prevents it from falling into the hands of someone who would buy it
>
> You see how your argument is really bad? I mean a cd costs me about 1
> penny to buy, see? See the difference, if I can buy a cd for one
> penny, I'm sure the company that sells cd's to me gets it for even
> cheaper than 1 penny. So they have these cds and they get about 100
> for 1 penny, than they sell one to us for $10-15.

And what do you get for that 1 cent CD? If you put it in your CD player,
car stereo, DVD player, PS2, or Xbox, what do you get? NOTHING!!!!

The price of the physical media--the vinyl, the CD, the DVD, the paper--may
not be expensive, but you aren't paying for blank media. You are paying for
the movie, music, or game that a company spent a lot more than 1 cent per
disk to create. Is it really that hard for you to fathom, that there are
creative people out there who create content? Or that this content, which
you want for free, should cost you something? Or that they have the right
to stop people like you from ripping them off? I suppose if you have to
steal an Internet name from a rapper, you don't know anything about
originality and creativity.

For the sake of argument, let's say that it only costs a company $5 per disk
to make a game which they sell to you for $49 (and we aren't counting the
retailer's share, the licensing fees, or anything else). If you think that
is unreasonable, your argument should be that this profit margin is extreme,
not that the game should be free.

> So I guess you're saying it's ok to be ripped off but not rip off the
> people that are ripping you off?
>
> Double standards, why don't you just go kiss some ass you corporate
> ass licker.
>
> --
> Ladies Love Cool Names

He was taking YOUR side of the argument, moron.

robin

> There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and
> "Robin"
> <robinandtami@nospam.com> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 03:20:21 GMT
> this person
> wrote:
>

>>Don't you have
>
> I GOT THIS FAR.

Take some reading lessons, then you could read the whole
thing.

<robinandtami@nospam.com> On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:18:44 GMT this person
wrote:

>Take

GOT THIS FAR.

--
Ladies Love Cool Names

<androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:03:04 -0700 this
person wrote:

>Or that they have the right
>to stop people like you from ripping them off?

Like I said before, you're perfectly ok with them ripping you off, you
just don't think it's ok to do the very same to them.

Stop being such a brainwashed consumer.

--
Ladies Love Cool Names

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> "L.L. Cool Names" <llcool@names.net> wrote in message
>> There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and "Jordan"
>> <lundj@earthlink.net> On 2 Jun 2005 16:22:12 -0700 this person wrote:
>>

>> >That's a bogus argument, because stealing the Ferrari physically
>> >prevents it from falling into the hands of someone who would buy it
>>
>> You see how your argument is really bad? I mean a cd costs me about 1
>> penny to buy, see? See the difference, if I can buy a cd for one
>> penny, I'm sure the company that sells cd's to me gets it for even
>> cheaper than 1 penny. So they have these cds and they get about 100
>> for 1 penny, than they sell one to us for $10-15.
>
> And what do you get for that 1 cent CD? If you put it in your CD player,
> car stereo, DVD player, PS2, or Xbox, what do you get? NOTHING!!!!
>
> The price of the physical media--the vinyl, the CD, the DVD, the
> paper--may
> not be expensive, but you aren't paying for blank media. You are paying
> for
> the movie, music, or game that a company spent a lot more than 1 cent per
> disk to create. Is it really that hard for you to fathom, that there are
> creative people out there who create content? Or that this content, which
> you want for free, should cost you something? Or that they have the right
> to stop people like you from ripping them off? I suppose if you have to
> steal an Internet name from a rapper, you don't know anything about
> originality and creativity.
>
> For the sake of argument, let's say that it only costs a company $5 per
> disk
> to make a game which they sell to you for $49 (and we aren't counting the
> retailer's share, the licensing fees, or anything else). If you think
> that
> is unreasonable, your argument should be that this profit margin is
> extreme,
> not that the game should be free.

I was speaking to a music artist about this issue about 10 years ago, before
Napster had even came out.
He is a little known artist, but had been on tour as an opening act for the
Red Hot Chili Peppers and a few other major bands that I cannot recall at
the moment. I had a few questions about royalties which started off the
conversation.
He explained to me that after the music artist, license fees, advertising,
cover art, etc etc have all been paid it cost an average of about $2 a CD.
At the time the record labels were charging $18 avg per CD.

Yes, we the consumers have been getting ripped off for years by the
recording industry. The artists themselves have been getting ripped off by
the recording industry.

After Napster became popular I sent an email to the same said artist I
mentioned above asking his opinion on the program.
His band had broken up years before and he was starting from scratch with a
new band at the time.
He replied that he thought it was a great program and in his opinion would
grow into a vehicle that would open new doors for future aspiring young
bands, bands that might otherwise go unheard by execs at said recording
studios..

Archived from groups: alt.tv.real-world,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.fan.howard-stern (More info?)

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 09:03:04 -0700, "Android"
<androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote:

>"L.L. Cool Names" <llcool@names.net> wrote in message
>> There are 4 things I hate, Girls, Women, Bitches, and "Jordan"
>> <lundj@earthlink.net> On 2 Jun 2005 16:22:12 -0700 this person wrote:
>>

>> >That's a bogus argument, because stealing the Ferrari physically
>> >prevents it from falling into the hands of someone who would buy it
>>
>> You see how your argument is really bad? I mean a cd costs me about 1
>> penny to buy, see? See the difference, if I can buy a cd for one
>> penny, I'm sure the company that sells cd's to me gets it for even
>> cheaper than 1 penny. So they have these cds and they get about 100
>> for 1 penny, than they sell one to us for $10-15.
>
>And what do you get for that 1 cent CD? If you put it in your CD player,
>car stereo, DVD player, PS2, or Xbox, what do you get? NOTHING!!!!
>
>The price of the physical media--the vinyl, the CD, the DVD, the paper--may
>not be expensive, but you aren't paying for blank media. You are paying for
>the movie, music, or game that a company spent a lot more than 1 cent per
>disk to create.

no.... that is noty the argument they used at first. The RIAA and ther
record companies used that old.. cd's cost so much to make chestnut
for a decade and a half.. until they finally realized the public
wasn't buying it. NOW they try to use the "Research and DevolpmenT'
that the drug co.' use. Obviously, the piss poor artist that they are
producing says that is also a lie.