Can I upgrade this to a gaming computer? (Max out my MoBo)

Jman28101

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Hello! Thankyou for taking the time to look at my thread.

I have a Compaq-Presario Pre-Built

System model: BM412AA-ABA-CQ5600Y
Processor: AMD Athlon II 170u Processor, ~2.0GHZ :(
My motherboard says M2n68-LA however this is confusing me, it is showing different types etc narra3,4,5 and i can't pinpoint the one I have.

Model #: CQ5600Y
Product #: BM412AA-ABA
Software Build #: A1NAv6PcA9

I believe these are my specs.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02481302&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4300412

Heres what I am trying to do:

I'm trying to

1.) Upgrade CPU
2.) Upgrade GPU to SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
3.) Upgrade ram
4.) Upgrade PSU

1.) What max CPU would this MoBo Handle?
2.) Would this GPU be compatible with this MoBo
3.) Should I just buy one more RAM Chip of the same type that's already in there (giving me a total of 4gb)
4.) What PSU would handle what i'm trying to do, and will it fit in the Mid-size ATX case?

Height: 38.40 cm (15.12 inches)
Width: 16.58 cm (6.53 inches)
Length: 42.9 cm (16.89 inches)

Would the GPU fit?

Thankyou for helping me, I greatly appreciate it. I'm basically trying to Max my MoBo.

Any opinions welcome.

Edit: My psu is currently a Bestec ATX-250-12Z the Dimensions are 140L x 150W x 86H mm (5.5" x 5.9" x 3.4")

So i'm trying to replace this PSU with one that would run the New setup. Thanks again.

Solution
re memory: "Should I just buy one more RAM Chip of the same type that's already in there (giving me a total of 4gb) " YES, it's so cheap now and 2GB-->4GB will make a difference and you are running 64-bit so you'll see/use all of it.

Get the power supply and Radeon HD 6850. The Power supply should be quality and around 400watts or larger. Maybe this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033 The only reason to go larger on the PSU would be that you expect to keep the PSU when you buy a new MB and goto multiple video cards. A 6850 peaks at 127 watts, the biggest CPUs around today are 125 watts or less, you current MB only supports 95w CPUs.

Your current CPU is an AM3 processor. But your product spec...

Jman28101

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
-.- I have a nice build as an alternative, but it's going to cost almost 800 bucks with OS and HD prices..I'm trying to avoid that. I just want to know whats the max hardware I can put on this MoBo.

psychodegu

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
You can reuse your Case, Hard drive, CD drive, mouse and keyboard, and I think your ram (memory). Other then that you really need to replace everything else, which may need a new case depending on what you want to get.

Jman28101

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
My m2n68-la is a green board. I did what King said, and it's not entirely helpful considering they come up as different colors. What a disaster

So much for upgrading my prebuilt. According to the information I found, it says it is a Narra 3.

However, the specs that HP provides says its a nara 5, and hp calls it a Nara6

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

Yeah, prebuilts don't make it easy.

I'd just go with the full upgrade route. If your case is a normal ATX case it should fit a normal ATX PSU. If the hard drive is SATA, might be no need to upgrade that right now either as prices are inflated. There are methods around that you can sometimes move the OEM license over of your Windows too and download and create an install disc (Windows 7 that I know of).

re memory: "Should I just buy one more RAM Chip of the same type that's already in there (giving me a total of 4gb) " YES, it's so cheap now and 2GB-->4GB will make a difference and you are running 64-bit so you'll see/use all of it.

Get the power supply and Radeon HD 6850. The Power supply should be quality and around 400watts or larger. Maybe this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033 The only reason to go larger on the PSU would be that you expect to keep the PSU when you buy a new MB and goto multiple video cards. A 6850 peaks at 127 watts, the biggest CPUs around today are 125 watts or less, you current MB only supports 95w CPUs.

Your current CPU is an AM3 processor. But your product spec says that you have an AM2+ socket MB, and that only AM2+ upgrade processors are supported. (Your current processor is backward compatible an will run in either AM3 or AM2+ socket MBs.)

Upgrade the CPU on the existing board by shopping EBAY for an AM2+ quad core like "Phenom X4 9850" "Agena". See cut/paste from HP below for processors supported. You could grab a used part for $50-100. You can't overclock with your MB, so no need for fancy heat sink. You'll have trouble finding a new/boxed AMD AM2 quad core -- if you find one you'll be paying way too much. Those CPUs came out in 2008 and are long gone.

HP's guidance on CPU compatibility following loading latest BIOS:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02481302&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=125&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=4269863&prodTypeId=12454 After a firmware upgrade you can put in the following:

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
NOTE: Only socket AM2+ processors are supported with this motherboard.

NOTE: max TDP is 95 watts in your MB. Rules out Phenom X4 9950, tdp = 125.

AMD Phenom II Quad-Core
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core
AMD Phenom Quad-Core (A) 9xxx series (AM2+)
AMD Phenom Triple-Core (T) 8xxx series (AM2+)
AMD Athlon X4
AMD Athlon X3
AMD Athlon X2 (B) (AM2+)

NOTE: rather than shopping ebay to spend $50-100 on an old generation processor amd quadcore people are telling you to buy a new MB, memory and CPU (amd or intel i3) and then put it all in a new case. That'll run you $300 or so. It's a better answer if you have the money. But it sure leaves nothing used out of the HP except disk, opticals drive, copy of windows mouse and KB.

Solution
re: "There are methods around that you can sometimes move the OEM license over of your Windows too "

I've done this. Windows will detect the MB has changed and ask you (nicely) to re validate. I've done re validation both over phone and via ethernet. Both were painless. The one gottcha is that the HP provided recovery media no longer works. If your disk fails you can no longer boot off the recovery CD and reinstall windows. When the HP provided recovery disk boots, it'll see your new MB and it'll fail. The work around is to use WIN7 to create a full recovery image on an external USB drive. Then use that external drive to do recovery if your disk fails, gets a virus,e tc.

re mother board model: I an typing on an HP i7-920. cpu-z (google it) was able to pick off my PC's MB model name, including HPs internal name for the MB adn MB version number. It's on the motherboard tab. Maybe you should give it a try. Bet it says "M2N68-LA (Narra5)" made by "Pegatron"

edit: I just tried Sisoftware Sandra (google it). It also displayed the same info on its mainboard page. SO if you prefer that...