Sign in with
Your question

Power supply main MoBo connector looks broken?

Last response: in Components
April 11, 2012 7:51:24 AM

All the little holes that plug into the MoBo have those silver things inside except one. It is empty. Do you think this is enough to stop my new setup from booting?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
April 11, 2012 11:55:58 AM

If its one of those early super socket 7 or slot-1 motherboards with an AT and ATX power connector then you might have issues powering up or have a wobbly/noisy picture, otherwise it shouldn't be a problem.
m
l
April 11, 2012 5:55:23 PM

Oh dang. When I power up my pc, the back fan moves a little bit, the CPU led turns red for half a second, and I get no image on my monitor. The only way I can reset it is buy actually powering off the power supply.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 11, 2012 6:20:31 PM

have you fitted stand-offs between the mobo and the back plane?
m
l
April 11, 2012 6:33:24 PM

I'm really sorry, this is only the second rig I've ever built. What specifically are standoffs? Is the board shouting out or something?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 11, 2012 6:47:06 PM

standoffs create a gap between the motherboard and the backing plane, they are needed, and are included with the case, and possibly the mobo. what you are experiencing could be caused by a short

normally little brass hexagonal things. http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&biw=1366&bih=677&g...
m
l
April 11, 2012 6:57:19 PM

Oh yes I have those on there. I re-checked the MoBo and it doesn't seem to be tightly secured. It moves down a little bit if I push on it lightly. Is this a big problem?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 11, 2012 7:00:03 PM

hexses said:
Oh yes I have those on there. I re-checked the MoBo and it doesn't seem to be tightly secured. It moves down a little bit if I push on it lightly. Is this a big problem?

Hi :) 

Motherboards should NOT move at all...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 11, 2012 7:14:31 PM

have you attached those to the back plane and then screwed the mobo to them? making sure that you only have standoffs under the screw holes on the mobo and no-where else
m
l
April 11, 2012 7:23:47 PM

Yes sir. I'm starting to think its the pins where the power button and system speaker plug in. Ihave to check it out when I get home.
m
l
!