Solved

Suggestion For Graphic Card

HI ,

i Have an old PC , Currently I have 1 GB Ram , But i ll upgrade to 3 gb while adding graphic card ,

System Specs

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01175538&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3572293

Mobo

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00864946&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3572293

And my slot is , PCI Express x16 , Monitor Res : 1440x900. PSU -------> Atx-250-12z

PLease guys , suggest me a best graphic card for my specs , Nvidia or Ati radeon ,
55 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about suggestion graphic card
  1. If it has a 250W PSU, the strongest GPU you can safely install is a HD5670 or HD6670.
  2. That's a fairly low end dual core, your mobo is PCIe 1.0 16x it looks like, and that seems like a generic 250w crap PSU. Just wondering, why do you want to upgrade your GPU and what is your budget?
  3. The specs don't list the PSU size.

    Anyways, due to the the CPU, screen resolution, and lack of PSU information I'm going to suggest the Radeon HD 5570. It draws 43W which shouldn't tax your PSU, and it should perform well enough at such a low resolution.

    $45 after rebate.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131342
  4. 9600gt nvidia
  5. Since you ask ed for advice, mine is to avoid AMD/ATI GPUs. They have buggy drivers.
  6. nordlead said:
    The specs don't list the PSU size.

    Anyways, due to the the CPU, screen resolution, and lack of PSU information I'm going to suggest the Radeon HD 5570. It draws 43W which shouldn't tax your PSU, and it should perform well enough at such a low resolution.

    $45 after rebate.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131342



    "PSU -------> Atx-250-12z "
  7. Onus said:
    If it has a 250W PSU, the strongest GPU you can safely install is a HD5670 or HD6670.


    I checked a HD 5670 today ,

    it was a xfx HD 5670 DDR5 , will it fit my bill ( does it have anything to do with my DDR2 RAM) is it ok ,
  8. pro-gamer said:
    9600gt nvidia


    wt abt its Power req , is my crappy 250w ATX_250-12z ok for 9600 gt ,
  9. nordlead said:
    The specs don't list the PSU size.

    Anyways, due to the the CPU, screen resolution, and lack of PSU information I'm going to suggest the Radeon HD 5570. It draws 43W which shouldn't tax your PSU, and it should perform well enough at such a low resolution.

    $45 after rebate.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131342


    PSU is 250watt bestec ,

    Model no : ATX-250-12Z
  10. macrovers said:
    wt abt its Power req , is my crappy 250w ATX_250-12z ok for 9600 gt ,

    No. A 9600GT requires a more power than a Radeon HD 5670 and it's an older gen NVIDIA card. Your PSU won't be able to handle it.

    If this is your PSU, then I don't think it would be able to power in a Radeon HD 5670.
    http://www.power-on.com/atx12vln250bt.html
  11. gmcizzle said:
    That's a fairly low end dual core, your mobo is PCIe 1.0 16x it looks like, and that seems like a generic 250w crap PSU. Just wondering, why do you want to upgrade your GPU and what is your budget?


    first 2 reply 2 ur question. im just upgrading to play fifa 12 and pes 12 , not games like bf3

    and i will buy a totally new PC in summer 2012 . with all new specs,

    so just for time being , for next 6 or 7 months , just 2 play fifa 12 ,pes 12 average games.
  12. What resolution are you thinking of playing at?
  13. Ok, the cheapest video card on all of newegg is the 8400 GS at $30, and even that is recommended to have a 300w PSU although it might work in yours.

    On the red side, there's the HD 5450 but that also requires 300w: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/310851-33-sapphire-5450-power-draw-htpc

    There's really nothing else to suggest because your 250w is very weak.
  14. gmcizzle said:
    Ok, the cheapest video card on all of newegg is the 8400 GS at $30, and even that is recommended to have a 300w PSU although it might work in yours.

    On the red side, there's the HD 5450 but that also requires 300w: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/310851-33-sapphire-5450-power-draw-htpc

    There's really nothing else to suggest because your 250w is very weak.

    i was thinking of 8400s but it require 300watts not sure that his system can handle it.
  15. I used to run an 8400GS with an iBall 250W PSU with 17A on the +12V rails.
    It isn't really a power consuming card at all. And I don't recommend buying one too even for FIFA 12 or PES 12.
  16. Gman450 said:
    No. A 9600GT requires a more power than a Radeon HD 5670 and it's an older gen NVIDIA card. Your PSU won't be able to handle it.

    If this is your PSU, then I don't think it would be able to power in a Radeon HD 5670.
    http://www.power-on.com/atx12vln250bt.html


    i have mentioned it earlier , i can upgrade it toa 450watt PSU , will it be enough for a XFX HD5670 DDR5 , and will it work coz my RAM is ddr2 type.
  17. gmcizzle said:
    Ok, the cheapest video card on all of newegg is the 8400 GS at $30, and even that is recommended to have a 300w PSU although it might work in yours.

    On the red side, there's the HD 5450 but that also requires 300w: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/310851-33-sapphire-5450-power-draw-htpc

    There's really nothing else to suggest because your 250w is very weak.


    i ll change the PSU to a 450watts or 550watt cooler master ,
  18. macrovers said:
    i have mentioned it earlier , i can upgrade it toa 450watt PSU , will it be enough for a XFX HD5670 DDR5 , and will it work coz my RAM is ddr2 type.

    Which 450W PSU is it? The brand and model is what I'm asking.

    A GDDR5 card would work just fine. Just because the GPU is a GDDR5 type doesn't mean that the RAM needs to be DDR5 too ( and there isn't a DDR5 RAM).

    You'll be okay with it.
  19. macrovers said:
    i have mentioned it earlier , i can upgrade it toa 450watt PSU , will it be enough for a XFX HD5670 DDR5 , and will it work coz my RAM is ddr2 type.

    you got the point! if you can upgrade your psu then there are best cardsavailable and are cheaper too. hd 5670 will do a fine job.
  20. pro-gamer said:
    i was thinking of 8400s but it require 300watts not sure that his system can handle it.


    i ll upgrade my psu to 450w or 550w .
  21. Gman450 said:
    Which 450W PSU is it? The brand and model is what I'm asking.

    A GDDR5 card would work just fine. Just because the GPU is a GDDR5 type doesn't mean that the RAM needs to be DDR5 too ( and there isn't a DDR5 RAM).

    You'll be okay with it.


    Cooler master Extreme series 460 watts
  22. Which country are you from?
    The Extreme series is something I'd stay away from, in case of Coolermaster.

    Try the Antec Earthwatts 380W PSU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033
    It's a good, solid PSU for $40.
    The CM 460W PSU also costs the same I believe.
  23. It's not that the CM Extreme power 460W is a bad PSU, it's just that you can an even better PSU for that same price. :)
  24. Gman450 said:
    It's not that the CM Extreme power 460W is a bad PSU, it's just that you can an even better PSU for that same price. :)


    I am from India ,

    not sure about , Antec Earthwatts 380w ,

    I ll definitely check out ur suggestion and Update u ,

    Thanks 4 taking time to reply me.
  25. I'm from India too. :)
  26. Gman450 said:
    I'm from India too. :)


    wow , Gman450 , even my name starts as urs "G manoj" , Jokes apart

    Final call ,

    u already know my specs, I ll buy a good Psu 450w or above that ,

    Will i be able to play fifa 12 , pes 12 with HD 5670 DDR5 , coz its the one which consumes less power ,

    or

    HD 4650 1 GB DDR2

    ultimate target wanna play crappy fifa 12 pes 12 , I got bored of playing FIFA 08 for the past 5 years ....

    whats ur opinion ,

    HD 5670 or 4650..
  27. I see I missed the PSU size. But that hardly matters. My AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+ and NVidia 7800GT maxed out (while playing Civ 4) at like 210W. He should be able to use a 5570 DDR3 like I suggested no problem. It draws like 50W, and the CPU can't be drawing more than 70W, so peak power will be around 150W. Also, it is probably more card than his slow CPU can handle. No reason to go higher than that especially since the resolution is also really low and it'll hold you over until you buy a new PC next summer.
  28. ^The OP says that he would upgrade his PSU, so a Radeon HD 5670 would do well for him. :)

    @OP, Yes you will be able to play FIFA 12 and PES 12 maxed out on a HD 5670.
  29. Gman450 said:
    I'm from India too. :)


    Price
    HD 5670 DDR 5 1 gb --------- RS. 4935

    HD 4650 DDR 2 1 gb----------RS. 2800

    and will these 2 cards fit in my pci e x16 slot


    sorry 4 giving so much trouble to u ..........
  30. It's no trouble at all! :)

    Yes, they'll fit on your motherboard.
    Go for the HD 5670.
    But if budget's a bit of a problem, then do what norlead said, and get a HD 5570. That should do good too for FIFA and PES 12.
  31. Gman450 said:
    It's no trouble at all! :)

    Yes, they'll fit on your motherboard.
    Go for the HD 5670.
    But if budget's a bit of a problem, then do what norlead said, and get a HD 5570. That should do good too for FIFA and PES 12.


    ok , i ll go and check both 5670 and 5570 and within 2 days i ll buy the cards and update u guys ,

    Thank u so much 4 all who replied for my Crappy system specs ,
  32. You're welcome. :)
  33. nordlead said:
    I see I missed the PSU size. But that hardly matters. My AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+ and NVidia 7800GT maxed out (while playing Civ 4) at like 210W. He should be able to use a 5570 DDR3 like I suggested no problem. It draws like 50W, and the CPU can't be drawing more than 70W, so peak power will be around 150W. Also, it is probably more card than his slow CPU can handle. No reason to go higher than that especially since the resolution is also really low and it'll hold you over until you buy a new PC next summer.


    Thank u 4 ur Suggestion .
  34. pro-gamer said:
    you got the point! if you can upgrade your psu then there are best cardsavailable and are cheaper too. hd 5670 will do a fine job.


    Thanks 4 ur Suggestion , and taking time to reply me .
  35. gmcizzle said:
    That's a fairly low end dual core, your mobo is PCIe 1.0 16x it looks like, and that seems like a generic 250w crap PSU. Just wondering, why do you want to upgrade your GPU and what is your budget?


    Thanks 4 ur reply , loved the word "crap" PSU.
  36. Bestec is one of the worst PSU-shaped objects made (jonnyguru reviewed one; it has turn-on spikes that kill mobos). CM PSUs are only a notch or two above junk themselves, but the "460W" Extreme Power is merely overrated, and can handle a 430W load: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-460-W-RS-460-PMSR-A3-Power-Supply-Review/550/10
    You'd have no trouble with a HD5670 on it.
  37. Onus said:
    Bestec is one of the worst PSU-shaped objects made (jonnyguru reviewed one; it has turn-on spikes that kill mobos). CM PSUs are only a notch or two above junk themselves, but the "460W" Extreme Power is merely overrated, and can handle a 430W load: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eXtreme-Power-Plus-460-W-RS-460-PMSR-A3-Power-Supply-Review/550/10
    You'd have no trouble with a HD5670 on it.


    you said u would have no trouble in having 5670 on it ,

    on it ,, which one bestec 250 or soon to be upgraded 450w

    if my old bestec 250w will be suff i ll not upgrade , so waitin 4 ur reply.
  38. I would replace the PSU. There's a review of a 250W Bestec at Jonnyguru. It has turn-on spikes that kill attached components: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=154
    Yours has a "z" instead of "e" in the model number, which could be significant, but more likely references something irrelevant like the cable count or the type of fan it has.
  39. Yeah. OP should replace the PSU that he has currently.
  40. Gman450 said:
    Yeah. OP should replace the PSU that he has currently.


    HI i learnt something new from a forum , but dont know about it , so expert advise req,

    I have a budget to buy HD5670 (Rs.4935)

    I have RS,1500 for PSU

    but today i saw in a forum that ,
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20091227032601437&board_id=1&model=P5L%201394&page=2&count=12

    it states that even i Upgrade my psu , my mobo's pci e slot cant give enough power to turn on HD5670 , so is it true ? if then do i need any supplementary power connectors ?

    or can i go for anything below HD5670 , but stll plays Fifa/pes 12 , i badly need a gpx card man ..... im driven crazy by these technical stuffs :cry:
  41. Finally made up between 2 cards HD 5570 and HD 5670

    from tomshardware review ,

    HD5570
    Great 1680x1050 performance in most games, 1920x1200 in many games with lowered detail

    HD5670
    Exceptional 1680x1050 performance in most games, 1920x1200 in most games with lowered detail

    my screen resloution is 1440x900 , and ill play in this setting ,

    also 5570 draws much less power than 5670 , and around Rs. 500 less than HD5670

    SO tomorrow im gonna buy it , final judgment guys , i know im bothering u all with an old pc specs, but for me its my fist ever upgrade , so please i need your final call,
  42. nordlead said:
    I see I missed the PSU size. But that hardly matters. My AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+ and NVidia 7800GT maxed out (while playing Civ 4) at like 210W. He should be able to use a 5570 DDR3 like I suggested no problem. It draws like 50W, and the CPU can't be drawing more than 70W, so peak power will be around 150W. Also, it is probably more card than his slow CPU can handle. No reason to go higher than that especially since the resolution is also really low and it'll hold you over until you buy a new PC next summer.


    Finally made up between 2 cards HD 5570 and HD 5670

    from tomshardware review ,

    HD5570
    Great 1680x1050 performance in most games, 1920x1200 in many games with lowered detail

    HD5670
    Exceptional 1680x1050 performance in most games, 1920x1200 in most games with lowered detail

    my screen resloution is 1440x900 , and ill play in this setting ,

    also 5570 draws much less power than 5670 , and around Rs. 500 less than HD5670

    SO tomorrow im gonna buy it , final judgment guys , i know im bothering u all with an old pc specs, but for me its my fist ever upgrade , so please i need your final call,

    psu upgrade sure , but will my P5LE-LE (leonite's) pci_ex16 will power up these cards , if then sure HD5670 or else ill go with 5570 ............
  43. Best answer
    Even thought the toms charts says that HD 5570 delivers great perfromance at 1680X1050, it doesn't do too well for almost all of the games out. Both the 5570 and 5670, are more of a 720p cards. At those reslolutions, they provide some great performance.

    Go for the HD 5670 itself. The extra 500INR is well worth spend IMO.
    Quote:
    but will my P5LE-LE (leonite's) pci_ex16 will power up these cards

    Yes. They will.
    PSU upgrade is a must before you buy that card.
  44. another excellent card that is hd 5770.
  45. pro-gamer said:
    another excellent card that is hd 5770.

    OP has a Pentium E2140. An HD 5770 would bottleneck that CPU at stock speeds.
    Now I'm wondering if the 5670 would bottleneck that CPU as well. The bottleneck won't be too much, and it won't be much noticeable, though.

    On second thought, go for the Radeon HD 5570. I'm sorry if I'm causing a bit too much of a dilemma here.
    A Radeon HD 5570 would do good at those resolutions for fifa and pes.
  46. hmmm, so the CPU is too weaker.
  47. Get the HD5670 and a new PSU. The card will run in your mobo, and does not need an auxiliary power connector.
  48. @ jtt283
    But don't you think it will bottleneck his E2140?
  49. You mean will the E2140 bottleneck the HD5670? In anything CPU-bound, yes. In my own tests a couple years ago, an AMD 4850e (stronger than the E2140) bottlenecked a HD4670 (weaker than HD5670). For the price difference though, unless money is really tight, if it were me I'd get the stronger card.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product