en3rrt

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hi folks, hoping someone can help me diagnose a problem please.

I recently bought new RAM for my homebuilt PC since it was starting to get a bit slow (roughly 3 years old). I tried installing the RAM in free slots but it wasn't recognised. I then moved the old RAM about, in adjacent dimm slots, and installed the new ram in the third and fourth slots. Following this, the computer didn't start, there was a slight bang sound and the smell of burning. Obviously I think something has gone pop and needs replacing, but I can't really work out what so would really like some help.

After the pop I checked on the mobo website and it said that populating adjacent dimm slots with double sided memory (which the old RAM is, and what I did) would cause failure to start or incorrect recognition of memory modules. It doesn't say anything about an explosion though. (Link @ http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2615#sp)

Following this I removed all bar one of the memory sticks and tried to start the computer to no avail. The power on button on the pc now does not work. The only times in has started is when I fiddle with the power supply cable and sometimes it then randomly decides to start. When it does start there doesn't appear to be any post, there is no display, and the fan on the GPU does not power up - the fan on the CPU does, however.

I have removed and replaced the BIOS battery and tried starting up with only essential components (one stick of ram or no sticks of ram, no HDD, no peripherals) but to no avail.

I have also removed the heat sink and had a good look at the processor but there does not seem to be any sign of damage or burning, or any smell of burning. I did this about an hour after the pop.

To me it seems as though the motherboard has gone and will need replacing, but I haven't been any good at PCs since I build this system 3 years ago so would appreciate some confirmation before I rebuild then realise it's something else like the PSU.

Thanks for any help in advance. My relevant system specs (as I can remember them) are below:

CPU: Core 2 Duo 2GHz
GPU: ATI Radeon Sapphire HD 3850 1gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA P31 DS3L
RAM: Old RAM 2x Kingston KVR800DDR2N5/1G (800 MHz)
New RAM 2x PQi PowerMemory DDR2-800U 1GB
PSU: ATX500-12c, no idea what make, would have been the cheapest I could find.

Usually when something goes BANG it is the PSU.

A lot of times when that happens, it destroys one or more parts it is connected to as well.

Start by replacing that. Change it out with an XFX 450w.

Then we will see if we can figure out if your old PSU took anything down with it.

PSUs are worth paying money for. The bad ones do that BANG thing 100x as often as good ones.

TRENDING THREADS