External Hardrive wiring?

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Cable
  • External Hard Drive
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 1, 2012 1:20:17 PM

(Hope I am In the correct sub-section, If not I apologise in advance)

Hello, I am upgrading my PSU from a 300W to 500W ModXstream-Pro. I think I have everything wired as it should be.....(First time ever doing this, in fact first time ever I have been inside my pc!) My pc is a medion desktop and it has a connector on top of the pc where i can slide in my external HDD which saves me from using a usb cable.

I don't know where to wire this up to....There are two cables coming from it, one a black cable with a small four pin connector that I think should cip into a socket over where my two front usb ports are wired up. The second cable has a molex connector attached but only uses two pins the wires are one yellow and one black.....I have no clue what this should connect to, I can see nothing else that has just black and yellow wired connection that it could clip into...Can someone advise me please. Thanks.

More about : external hardrive wiring

January 1, 2012 1:23:56 PM

Is there any way you could provide pictures of the hardware and cabling or link to pictures of it?
January 1, 2012 1:28:49 PM

I'll take a picture now, and upload it. Thanks.
Related resources
January 1, 2012 1:55:28 PM

The molex connector coming out from next to the PSU is the one I am talking about.....the other connector is that blue one near the bottom right of the image with the black wire...that also comes from behind the PSU as its connected to the HDD slot at the top of the pc (shown in next image below).

January 1, 2012 2:01:21 PM

Can you not just plug a molex female end into the male end you have there?
January 1, 2012 2:12:36 PM

:pt1cable:  You have to understand Raiddinn......I am doing this completely on the fly......I don't know one end of a pc from the other really.....I know something should go into that molex connector but I don't know where from.... :pt1cable:  .....Should I have a lead coming direct from the PSU that would connect into it....I have a lead supplied with the PSU but that has all four connections wired with yellow/red/black wires? The cable that runs from my PSU to my internal hard-drive also has a spare molex connector attached to it.....could I plug into that?.....but that also has the yellow/black/red wiring...not just the black yellow. You probably think I am a complete idiot for jumping head first into this task with so little knowledge.....but needs must....I have no other option. Thanks for your assistance thus far my friend.
January 1, 2012 3:12:23 PM

I took the plunge! The penny just dropped.....I connected the spare molex connector that is connected to the molex connection going into my internal hard drive....making sure the yellow/black wiring linked to each connector.....realising (eventually lol) that the red/black wires would be leading nowhere and thus doing no harm should the connection be wrong....In the end it was right and my external hard-drive is now wired up properly.....YES!! Thanks for making me think more Raiddinn..Much appreciate your input here....Now to get back to my intitial problem of a bad graphic card!
January 1, 2012 3:17:54 PM

For future reference though, make sure you know how things are wired up before you unplug old psu/gfx cards etc, makes it easier to remember when putting new one on :p 
you can also label them using sticky labels if needs be, (Molex1,Dvd drive) (strange connector, back of fan controller) kind of thing
Glad you got sorted out though :) 
Moto
January 1, 2012 4:02:29 PM

Sorry I couldn't explain myself better, but a molex female end with 4 connectors doesn't hurt anything when plugged into a molex male end connector with 2.

There are just 2 lines in the 4 that do nothing in that case.

Glad it is working.
January 1, 2012 4:11:51 PM

lol no you just have a pair of horny connectors.. :p 
January 1, 2012 5:39:54 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
For future reference though, make sure you know how things are wired up before you unplug old psu/gfx cards etc, makes it easier to remember when putting new one on :p 
you can also label them using sticky labels if needs be, (Molex1,Dvd drive) (strange connector, back of fan controller) kind of thing
Glad you got sorted out though :) 
Moto

I hear ya Moto, great idea the labeling, once i get my on going graphic card problem fixed I am going to take some time to label all my connections for future referance....Just dipping my toes in the water here...but hey...it feels good! :sol: 
January 1, 2012 5:42:54 PM

Raiddinn said:
Sorry I couldn't explain myself better, but a molex female end with 4 connectors doesn't hurt anything when plugged into a molex male end connector with 2.

There are just 2 lines in the 4 that do nothing in that case.

Glad it is working.

Thanks Raiddinn, you explained it fine my friend...I'm just a newbie to this and a little slow on the uptake......but I plod along....I'm a trier. :lol:  I kept thinking If I make the wrong connection......BOOM!! So I thought I would double check first.
January 1, 2012 5:44:04 PM

goodguy713 said:
lol no you just have a pair of horny connectors.. :p 

GULP!..........Hope they use protection! :p 
January 1, 2012 5:53:13 PM

I was intimidated a little bit when I first got my hands on computer hardware too.

I remember my first RAM upgrade.

For that matter, I remember drooling over the new 1 MB RAM stick that just came out and trying to gather up $100 so I could buy it.
!