Sign in with
Your question

Is my power supply DOA?

Last response: in Systems
January 1, 2012 2:21:01 PM

I received my Corsair 430 and case. I removed the power supply from the packaging just to make sure it fit the case, and then repacked the PSU. I later unpacked it just to make sure it wasn't DOA or have any odd noises.
I removed it from the packaging and plugged in the power cable, and nothing happened.
The power supply wasn't hooked up to anything, just plugged into the wall.

But shouldn't I at least see the fan kick on or something?

More about : power supply doa

a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2012 2:27:51 PM

No, you have to hook it to a switch that turns it on or jump start it.

Why are you trying to run a power supply with nothing hooked to it? CMon man.
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2012 3:02:13 PM

geekapproved said:
No, you have to hook it to a switch that turns it on or jump start it.

Why are you trying to run a power supply with nothing hooked to it? CMon man.

Because I wanted to make sure it was working before it is too late to RMA it.
Buying a few parts at a time to keep cost down (Not how I would have preferred to do it).

But thanks for the clarification. I am such an idiot in this area of computers (hardware that is). :pt1cable: 
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
January 1, 2012 5:45:37 PM

Well, it certainly will not have any odd noises. :) 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 1, 2012 6:01:27 PM

What we mean to say is that it is better to just save money until you are ready to buy everything before you buy anything.

If you save, you get two great advantages:
1) You can take a great deal if it comes along
2) Moore's Law-ish - every day that goes by you get more power for each $ you spend.

If you buy a decent case deal now it will keep you from getting an awesome case deal tomorrow.

Definitely don't buy a video card now, regardless of how good the deal is, for instance. The AMD 7000 series cards are going to be released soon and it should cause the price of many video cards to be reduced when they do start hitting shelves.
m
l
January 2, 2012 1:34:14 AM

Raiddinn said:
What we mean to say is that it is better to just save money until you are ready to buy everything before you buy anything.

If you save, you get two great advantages:
1) You can take a great deal if it comes along
2) Moore's Law-ish - every day that goes by you get more power for each $ you spend.

If you buy a decent case deal now it will keep you from getting an awesome case deal tomorrow.

Definitely don't buy a video card now, regardless of how good the deal is, for instance. The AMD 7000 series cards are going to be released soon and it should cause the price of many video cards to be reduced when they do start hitting shelves.

Yeah I am not looking for a video card yet. I don't see how much better of a deal for a Power Supply than the Corsair for $40 + Free Shipping + $15 Promotional gift card. But I do get what you are saying.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 2, 2012 8:33:01 AM

As long as you are sure you won't need a larger one, that deal sounds like a good one.

Anyway, as long as I was able to clarify what everyone is saying then I am happy.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 2, 2012 8:41:48 AM

Raiddinn said:

Anyway, as long as I was able to clarify what everyone is saying then I am happy.

You haven't clarified anything.
None of us was so bold as to tell the OP that he should have waited to buy his psu, that really has nothing to do with why he got no reaction from it when he plugged it in.
I provided a link to show him how to start the psu.
GA chastised him a bit for not knowing how to.
And jsc got a chuckle out of the thought that the OP thought he might hear odd noises from the psu.

OP found a good deal and jumped on it, nothing wrong with that.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 2, 2012 9:06:53 AM

My bad, I must have gotten two threads crossed.

Thanks for following me around and making sure I don't do such things.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 2, 2012 9:13:26 AM

Raiddinn said:

Thanks for following me around and making sure I don't do such things.

I've actually been quite ignorant to your presence for several days now.
Live feed showed a thread that I had responded to and lo and behold there's Raidinn going to try and clarify what myself and other regulars are trying to get across to the OP, and being way out in left field whilst doing so.

Stop trying to take on more than you can handle and you won't get threads crossed.
m
l
!