Computer freezes when installing drivers.Complicated problem need help

bnbader

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Sapphire HD4870x2
P5E deluxe MB
850W xigmatek psu

So i will start from the beginning. My computer was shipped to college via ups. I did not have the correct cables to connect the computer to my new screen and that is why it has taken me so long to get the computer running. Anyways after ordering all of the cables and starting up the computer it did not respond or want to boot normally.
It boots up and works fine in safe mode but does not even boot in regular mode. In any event i found out that the problem was my graphics card drivers so I tried to install them with no luck (Failed to recognize device driver) or something like that. The motherboard through device manager recognizes my HD4870X2. So i decided to reinstall windows xp thinking that this would solve the problem. Reinstalled windows and erased everything from the computer. Now I am faced with two new problems.

First: My graphics drivers do not want to install. The install begins normally then suddently the screen goes black with a cursor and eventually i get the blue screen of death and it reboots.

Two: My wireless adapter only sometimes picks up an internet signal and even when it does is unable to connect. Already installed its drivers.

Please help me figure out what is going on. Used driver sweeper and tried to install the Microsoft Visual ++ 2008 but it would not install because it could not reach something....

Please help i really need this computer to work!!!!

I'd recommend reseating the graphics card, even without the drivers installed it should still be detected in device manager. Its possible that during it transit the card has disconnected slightly from the PCI-E lane.

Also what's the BSOD code?

Go to Start > Control Panel > System (may have to switch to classic view) > Advanced Tab > Uncheck the box next to "Automatically restart" > Click "Ok"

Now the next time you get the BSOD you'll have all the time you like to right down the BSOD Code.

I'd also suggest trying the graphics card in another PC if possible.

Might be a faulty card (the BSOD code may give us some clue's), could also be a problem with the motherboard or power supply although unlikely.

Highly unlikely to be software related if you formatted your drive and re-installed the O/S.

Any warranty left on the card?

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Did you remove your previous drivers first from your system?
First do a clean boot with windows.
Go into msconfig.
Then services. Tick hide all ms services then disable all. Do the same with startup.
Reboot your pc then uninstall the old drivers. Use a driver sweeper to completely remove it then enter SFC /purgecache at the start search box. When its done. Reboot and install the new drivers.

bnbader

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Alright so I managed to install the driver with no error on windows vista. Anyway after the install went to boot the computer and it went to a black screen instead of the normal welcome screen. Seems like I can get no luck....

No but thats not the entire story, you said earlier that you got a black screen straight afterwards...