Beta Testers Wanted for new Mobile Service

Last response: in Technologies
June 29, 2004 9:22:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.nokia.graphics,alt.cellular.telephones,alt.cellular.motorola,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Start-up company(in stealth mode) looking for beta testers to try out
a new service for your color phone. This is NOT a SPAM message or
solicitation for anything other than recruiting beta testers. You are
only required to have a color mobile phone with WAP service and a
Windows 98/ME/2000/XP PC. It's a very simple
service, primarily looking for feedback on quality, features, and ease
of use. Take's less than five minutes to try out, there is a short
web-based form to provide feedback. The first 25 people in each
country who join our beta test will get free use of service for one
year.

Interested? Email support@foneshot.com

David Turner
Beta Test Supervisor
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 11:06:38 PM

"David Turner" <support@foneshot.com> wrote in message
> Start-up company(in stealth mode) looking for beta testers to try out
> a new service for your color phone. This is NOT a SPAM message

Yes it is, go away.

Ivor
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 1:20:35 PM

"mi" <mi@you.com> wrote in message
> Just would like to say that it's REALLY a company, theyr website is
> REALLY up, and the service REALLY good.. you should try before telling
> more about something you don't know.. really!!

And you REALLY don't know how to post, do you..?

Ivor
June 30, 2004 4:46:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.nokia.graphics,alt.cellular.telephones,alt.cellular.motorola,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

> And you REALLY don't know how to post, do you..?

His post came through... looks like he knows how!
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 9:35:14 PM

"Ryan Hernalsteen" <rhernals@REMOVETHIScharter.net> wrote in message

> > And you REALLY don't know how to post, do you..?
>
> His post came through... looks like he knows how!

He doesn't know, or he's post at the bottom.

Ivor
June 30, 2004 11:47:11 PM

Ivor Jones wrote:

> "David Turner" <support@foneshot.com> wrote in message
>
>>Start-up company(in stealth mode) looking for beta testers to try out
>>a new service for your color phone. This is NOT a SPAM message
>

> Yes it is, go away.

Best to avoid any form of advertising in newsgroups, genuine or not it's
the equivalent of standing at a bus stop placing leaflets in the hands
of people on the most part, don't want them.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.nokia.graphics,alt.cellular.telephones,alt.cellular.motorola,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

>>He doesn't know, or he's post at the bottom.<<

Bottom posting is idiotic, especially when the thread is 100 messages long
and the whole thread is quoted. I was using usenet before there was a www,
and no one bottom posted then? Who the HELL decided that was the right way??
Quoting a relevant passage and posting below THAT is what was originally
intended, just like I've done here. If I have to scroll more than one page
to get to a post, it doesn't get read.

--Mike

"Ivor Jones" <this.address@notvalid.inv> wrote in message

> "Ryan Hernalsteen" <rhernals@REMOVETHIScharter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> > And you REALLY don't know how to post, do you..?
>>
>> His post came through... looks like he knows how!
>
> He doesn't know, or he's post at the bottom.
>
> Ivor

July 1, 2004 10:11:39 AM

Marc wrote:
> Ivor Jones wrote:
>
>> "David Turner" <support@foneshot.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Start-up company(in stealth mode) looking for beta testers to try
>>> out a new service for your color phone. This is NOT a SPAM message
>>

>> Yes it is, go away.
>
> Best to avoid any form of advertising in newsgroups, genuine or not
> it's the equivalent of standing at a bus stop placing leaflets in
> the hands of people on the most part, don't want them.

why not? you can make neat little hats out of them! :-)
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 12:44:58 PM

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 03:17:09 GMT, "mgg" <mike@pacbell.net> wrote:

>I was using usenet before there was a www

And you still haven't grasped it, eh? Perhaps you should give up and
take up crosswords.

--

Iain
the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones

"mgg" <mike@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> >>He doesn't know, or he's post at the bottom.<<
>
> Bottom posting is idiotic,
<SNIP>

Mmm that's delicious

There you are

Two please

Sugar?

Yes please

Would you like a cup of tea?

--
Slartibartfast
To reply by email, remove the FJORDS from my address

In article <VmLEc.80361$Dj3.76970@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>,
"mgg" <mike@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Bottom posting is idiotic, especially when the thread is 100 messages long
> and the whole thread is quoted. I was using usenet before there was a www,
> and no one bottom posted then? Who the HELL decided that was the right way??

Newsgroups have always been quote and snip. The snipping prevents the
scenario you outlined. It's astonishing than in all the time you say
you've been here, you haven't managed to realize that. Perhaps in
another few years...

Email is something different. There, top replies make sense...
especially when having a conversation with tech support.

--
Steven Fisher; sdfisher@spamcop.net
"Morituri Nolumus Mori."

Marc <see@signature.url> wrote in message news:<1088621237.4120.0@sabbath.news.uk.clara.net>...

> Best to avoid any form of advertising in newsgroups, genuine or not it's
> the equivalent of standing at a bus stop placing leaflets in the hands
> of people on the most part, don't want them.

Which is a good rule of thumb, IF it was consistant...

I've often wondered why a guy like this David Turner gets flamed, but
the Oxygen software guy gets a free pass when hawking his product or
announcing the version has been upgraded from 2.1.1.4.05 to
2.1.1.4.06...

(Nothing personal- I'm sure OPM is great software, and it's author is
a nice guy, I'm just pointing out the inconsistancies in "outrage" at
advert posts...)
July 1, 2004 7:12:04 PM

On 2004-07-01, mgg <mike@pacbell.net> wrote:
> Who the HELL decided that was the right way??

Across cultures, the ad hoc rules of thumb of one generation become the
dogma of the next. The violent reaction to top-posting by relative
newcomers is interesting because they get told it's terrible, they
adjust their behavior and their tools to fit, and after they've done so
it really does feel terrible to them.

On the other hand you could get a news tool which is designed to deal
with posts with hundreds of quoted lines and a little text at the
bottom.
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 12:16:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.nokia.graphics,alt.cellular.telephones,alt.cellular.motorola,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"mgg" <mike@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> >>He doesn't know, or he's post at the bottom.<<
>
> Bottom posting is idiotic, especially when the thread is 100 messages long
> and the whole thread is quoted. I was using usenet before there was a www,
> and no one bottom posted then?
<snip>

You are either lying or joking, in those days top posters were publicly flogged
then stoned to death.

Top posting in recent years is mainly the result of newbies misusing
their freebie Outlook Express

Steve Terry
July 2, 2004 6:33:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.nokia.graphics,alt.cellular.telephones,alt.cellular.motorola,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

>Bottom posting is idiotic, especially when the thread is 100 messages long
>and the whole thread is quoted. I was using usenet before there was a www,
>and no one bottom posted then? Who the HELL decided that was the right way??

What I hate is middle posting. Now that would be hard to find in 100+
lines :)

Pete

>Quoting a relevant passage and posting below THAT is what was originally
>intended, just like I've done here. If I have to scroll more than one page
>to get to a post, it doesn't get read.
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 9:39:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.nokia.graphics,alt.cellular.telephones,alt.cellular.motorola,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Just like the top poster guys! Find something relevant if you must vent your
anxiety to life
"Todd Allcock" <elecconnec@aol.com> wrote in message
news:D e37a2e0.0407011045.34f898d5@posting.google.com...
> Marc <see@signature.url> wrote in message
>
> > Best to avoid any form of advertising in newsgroups, genuine or not it's
> > the equivalent of standing at a bus stop placing leaflets in the hands
> > of people on the most part, don't want them.
>
> Which is a good rule of thumb, IF it was consistant...
>
> I've often wondered why a guy like this David Turner gets flamed, but
> the Oxygen software guy gets a free pass when hawking his product or
> announcing the version has been upgraded from 2.1.1.4.05 to
> 2.1.1.4.06...
>
> (Nothing personal- I'm sure OPM is great software, and it's author is
> a nice guy, I'm just pointing out the inconsistancies in "outrage" at
> advert posts...)
July 2, 2004 11:06:39 AM

"Pete" <nospam@me.nut> wrote in message

> >Bottom posting is idiotic, especially when the thread is 100 messages
long
> >and the whole thread is quoted. I was using usenet before there was a
www,
> >and no one bottom posted then? Who the HELL decided that was the right
way??

> What I hate is middle posting. Now that would be hard to find in 100+
> lines :)
>
> Pete
>
> >Quoting a relevant passage and posting below THAT is what was originally
> >intended, just like I've done here. If I have to scroll more than one
page
> >to get to a post, it doesn't get read.

Not to mention, say if u r reading this on google, you would end up going
through page after page just to get to the bottom lol. Waste of time, keep
on the thread, U snip the quote and u laugh, You don't adapt, maybe we will
assimilate U, maybe we will discard U as whatever.
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 8:22:07 PM

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 05:22:46 -0700, David Turner wrote:

> Start-up company(in stealth mode)

'(in stealth mode)' ?? So WTF is that supposed to mean ?

> looking for beta testers to try out
> a new service for your color phone. This is NOT a SPAM message or
> solicitation for anything other than recruiting beta testers.

Really.

> You are
> only required to have a color mobile phone with WAP service and a
> Windows 98/ME/2000/XP PC. It's a very simple
> service, primarily looking for feedback on quality, features, and ease
> of use. Take's less than five minutes to try out, there is a short
> web-based form to provide feedback. The first 25 people in each
> country who join our beta test will get free use of service for one
> year.
>
> Interested? Email support@foneshot.com

No thanks ... AFAIK you could just be a SPAMMER harvesting for email addys.

How about a web-site explaining exactly what 'foneshot' is all about.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 1:48:58 AM

"PDA Man" <pda@man.com> wrote in message news:<2uudnUj8Ms_msHjd4p2dnA@comcast.com>...

> Just like the top poster guys! Find something relevant if you must vent your
> anxiety to life

Not venting, P-Man- just curious...
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 11:04:08 AM

michael turner <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.07.02.15.22.51.768000@ivetva.arg>...
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 05:22:46 -0700, David Turner wrote:
>
> > Start-up company(in stealth mode)
>
> '(in stealth mode)' ?? So WTF is that supposed to mean ?
>
> > looking for beta testers to try out
> > a new service for your color phone. This is NOT a SPAM message or
> > solicitation for anything other than recruiting beta testers.
>
> Really.
>
> > You are
> > only required to have a color mobile phone with WAP service and a
> > Windows 98/ME/2000/XP PC. It's a very simple
> > service, primarily looking for feedback on quality, features, and ease
> > of use. Take's less than five minutes to try out, there is a short
> > web-based form to provide feedback. The first 25 people in each
> > country who join our beta test will get free use of service for one
> > year.
> >
> > Interested? Email support@foneshot.com
>
> No thanks ... AFAIK you could just be a SPAMMER harvesting for email addys.
>
> How about a web-site explaining exactly what 'foneshot' is all about.

Michael-

We've started a beta test for a mobile service designed for color,
WAP-enabled phones. As I'm sure you know, testing mobile services
across a matrix of handsets and operators is quite difficult and
tedious. We believed recruiting beta testers from mobile-related
newsgroups would be mutually beneficial, as these folks tend to be
very knowledgable of the technology and interested in reviewing new
products and services. Based on the great response in just one week,
this appears to be the case. I appreciate your concerns regarding
SPAM, again, we are not spamming, we are quietly testing a new mobile
service with a intelligent community of mobile aficionados. Any
constructive suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
-David
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 10:32:04 PM

mgg wrote:
>>>He doesn't know, or he's post at the bottom.<<
>

> Bottom posting is idiotic, especially when the thread is 100 messages long
> and the whole thread is quoted. I was using usenet before there was a www,
> and no one bottom posted then? Who the HELL decided that was the right way??
> Quoting a relevant passage and posting below THAT is what was originally
> intended, just like I've done here. If I have to scroll more than one page
> to get to a post, it doesn't get read.
>
> --Mike

I agree Mike and editing like I have just done helps also, why keep
unrelated stuff in your thread?

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 6:28:27 AM

In alt.cellular.gsm mgg <mike@pacbell.net> wrote:
> Bottom posting is idiotic, especially when the thread is 100 messages long
> and the whole thread is quoted. I was using usenet before there was a www,
> and no one bottom posted then? Who the HELL decided that was the right way??

That has more to do with software which places the cursor at the bottom
or top of a message by default and a user who either A. Doesn't know any
better to fix such automated processes because he/she sees everyone
else do it, or b. ..feels that everyone has high speed so who
cares....LOL

sigh. I remember the olden days when the internet wasn't the big mall
it is today and the BBS was king. Those were the days.

> Quoting a relevant passage and posting below THAT is what was originally
> intended, just like I've done here. If I have to scroll more than one page

That was the way I learned it.
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 6:34:15 AM

In alt.cellular.gsm Steven Fisher <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote:
> In article <VmLEc.80361$Dj3.76970@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>,
> Email is something different. There, top replies make sense...
> especially when having a conversation with tech support.

E-Mail is just like USENET except there are less (usually) involved in
the conversation. Unfortunately SPAM has just about destroied both of
them.
July 12, 2004 2:43:32 PM

On 12 Jul 2004 02:34:15 GMT, "Mark E. Daniel" <mark@atarimax.com>
wrote:

>In alt.cellular.gsm Steven Fisher <sdfisher@spamcop.net> wrote:
>> In article <VmLEc.80361$Dj3.76970@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>,
>> Email is something different. There, top replies make sense...
>> especially when having a conversation with tech support.
>
>E-Mail is just like USENET except there are less (usually) involved in
>the conversation. Unfortunately SPAM has just about destroied both of
>them.

That and people who don't have a clue how to edit their messages and
feel that it's the "proper" way to re-quote everything including
mutliple previous messages and every footer they can find.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
!