cptmac

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
The following is customer feedback from newegg.

"Intel made last second changes in this chip, and as a result, motherboards which worked effectively with engineering samples can now no longer support it. Oddly, this eliminated basically all 680i motherboards.. this isn't an issue of a BIOS fix, eVGA, BFG, and others have already announced they will not support this chip on their 680i motherboards.. So, if you have a 680i motherboard, you need to pass. Only 7xx series motherboards need apply."

"Intel changed the microcode of the QX9650 retail/OEM chips at the last minute before launch, and is not releasing the code to Nvidia until it agrees to grant SLI license to Intel, as a result no Nvidia chipset based motherboards can support the new chip as of now. eVGA is currently working on a BIOS for their 680i boards by cracking the code themselves."

Man, why do they have to play these games? Can't we all just love one another.

Report abuse Quick Reply

Everyone wants new stuff as fast as possible. It's no wonder that the bugs have to be worked out by the customers and engineers that update the bios'. I'm glad that I don't get the urge to upgrade right away. Used to build 2 new systems a year. Now I wait until something breaks.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
It's about time that Intel decided to put pressure on Nvidia to get SLi for their own chipsets. The P35 and X38 chips are (in my opinion) superior to the 680i and Intel have the upper-hand when it comes to developing new chipsets, because well, they make the CPUs and everything. All I can say is that I'm eagerly awaiting the day when there's a QX9770 CPU, the successor to the X38, and 2 GeForce 8800 GTX OC in one box. Crysis won't know what hit it.

Well yes the chipsets that Intel release are superior to any nForce chipset. In fact the Intel chipsets give better memory bandwidth compared NVidias. The nForce chipset is just NVidias way of getting into the market. Only thing they are good for is SLI at the moment.