[New Build] ~$2000 USD "Everything" PC

escapen

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: In the next 3 months

Budget Range: ~$2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: HTPC, gaming, video/audio/photo/word processing, surfing. A little bit of everything.

Parts Not Required:

Speakers; PC will be routed through a receiver

Logitech Illuminated Ultrathin Keyboard

Logitech MX Revolution

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, amazon

Parts Preferences: Intel, ASUS, NVIDIA

Overclocking: Yes (This will be my first time OCing)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (I was thinking as I add more monitors, I would look at buying a second gfx card)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200, 1920x1080

Additional Comments:

So some additional information and then a few questions that I thought someone might be able to help me with, followed by the parts I'm currently thinking with. Nothing is set in stone though and I'm looking for any and all suggestions. A huge thank you in advance to any help given, very nice to have such knowledgeable and generous people here. This is going to be my bedroom/workstation PC. I live in a small apartment, so my bedroom doubles as my office/random projects room. I just ordered a new Panasonic 42" 3DTV for the bedroom, so I'm planning on the new rig handling HTPC duties as well. With the PC in my bedroom, noise is a consideration. I'd be interested in any suggestions with that in mind (case, case mods, accessories, etc).

On to the questions, I'm still trying to research this stuff on my own, but I figured, while I'm at it! So links are appreciated too.

This will be my first foray into multiple displays. Is there anything I need to know about compatibility between the plasma and monitor(s)? The TV is a Panasonic 42" ST30 and I'm currently using a Samsung SyncMaster 2333 (1920x1080) for my monitor. I am looking to replace my monitor setup some time in the not too distant future. Should I go with a monitor (or 2-3, one in a vertical position) with a resolution of 1920x1200, can this work without issue? And what about higher resolution monitors? Also, is there any particular software that I need to utilize this kind of setup?

For the HTPC side of things, does anyone have suggestions on how I can integrate with my Logitech Harmony 1100? Would it be possible to control everything with the harmony or any other device (I’m thinking a HTPC mode, being able to wake the PC into a HTPC mode, browse/play/ff/rw, etc and then shutdown/sleep again. No idea if this exists, but would be insanely ideal lol). Along that vein, any suggestions with regards to HTPC software with tv tuner/dvr capabilities? I’ve begun looking into XBMC, MediaPortal and MythTV. I currently employ a Boxee Box in my living room with a 10TB DroboFS on the network.

Aaaaand, will getting a separate audio card be necessary? From what I understand, something like the Geforce GTX 580 will not do lossless audio, like DTS-MA or TrueHD. If not absolutely necessary for lossless audio to function, is it desirable for any other reason? I don’t really intend on having a speaker setup capable of utilizing DTS-MA anytime soon, but I do want the capability for further on down the line.

Ok, last one. 3D and HTPC: is it just plug and play and everything is A-OK? Or only SBS, etc.

Proposed Hardware:

Case: Silverstone FT02B – I’m definitely into a more understated and smooth case look. Nothing too flashy or looks like it could poke an eye out. Although in my more adventurous moments, the Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition looks pretty sweet. Probably because it’s R2D2 colors. *facepalm*nerd*facedesk*

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe

Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K

Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2 850w

CPU Cooling: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600 – 4x4 or 2x8 make a difference?

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX580

Boot Drive: Crucial m4 256GB SSD

Optical Drive Lite-On IHBS112-04 Bluray Burner

Think that's everything. Also, $2000 is a soft number. Willing to spend more if I need to, but always looking to spend less. Thanks again guys!