Which new budget power supply

Vashar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Looking to power a 6870 1GB, Phenom II X3 720 BE @ stock voltage, 4 sticks of ram rated at 1.95V or less, 1 SSD, 1 7200 RPM 1-2TB HD, and 2-4 80mm case fans and maybe a DVD burner (leaving it unconnected until I need it).

I currently have an OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W Modular Power Supply and I am convinced that it's the source of a lot of annoying noise, from both the fan and a high pitched buzz.

I see there's a Seasonic 620 on new egg for $70, but think it's way more than what I need.

I would like to spend less, but I know I'm risking buying something I might not be satisfied with, so I'm hoping someone might have some recommendations. That Seasonic is as expensive as I'd like to go. My current PS did its job well for the 2-3 years I had it and would like to find another that does at least the same, just without this annoying high pitched buzz.

Any recommendations?

ram1009

Distinguished
I'm sure I'm wasting my time but I'm afraid you have the cart before the horse. Instead of trying to buy the smallest cheapest PSU that will do the job today, my recommendation is to buy the largest QUALITY PSU you can afford and save the money you plan to spend when your cheapie dies again in a couple of years. think of it as an insurance policy for your rig.

Vashar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
What principles are you basing your recommendation on? Why would it be considered an insurance policy? I'm not future proofing; I'm just trying to get something to replace a PSU that is causing an unbearably annoying high pitched buzz whenever it's turned on. I would be completely satisfied with my current PSU, if not for that issue. I'm not even sure it's the PSU, but I don't know what else it could be, maybe the mobo. It happens whenever the PC is on, even with everything else disconnected.

Uther39

Distinguished

Get the Seasonic its a bargain at than price.