What is Gender adapters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
HI. im trying to use 2 monitors and been doing some research. However, when I tried to look for "dvi to vga adapters" there seems to be a "male" and "female" versions. I have no idea what that is. Can someone kindly explain it to me? Thanks :lol:

Solution
With "Gender Adapters" when they refer to male - they mean an an adapter has pins in it. Whereas a female adapter will have the input in it (no pins). Usually the male plugs into the female.

That's just a rough explanation. I would suggest doing some google searches and read up a little about it.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Female connectors will usually be the ones on the I/O panel on your computer or on your graphics card. Male connectors are the ones that, erm, plug into the females (think human reproductive anatomy). As far as adapters go, let's say you have DVI out capability on your mobo/graphics card, and your monitor needs VGA. You'd want an adapter that was male DVI and female VGA in that case.

With "Gender Adapters" when they refer to male - they mean an an adapter has pins in it. Whereas a female adapter will have the input in it (no pins). Usually the male plugs into the female.

That's just a rough explanation. I would suggest doing some google searches and read up a little about it.

Solution

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
If the DVI end is going into the monitor or video card it (DVI connector) needs to be male, if the VGA end is going into the monitor or video card the DVI connector needs to be female.

Status
Not open for further replies.